Phones

Question

Best non-smart phone

by 909Chellie / May 23, 2011 9:00 AM PDT

I've dropped my Razr V3xx for the last time (RIP). I am looking for a unlocked, non-smart phone - I have an unlimited date package with AT&T right now and don't want to be forced to switch to pay more. I mainly use my phone for taking & sending pics, text messaging, and internet access. I want to download ringtones, store mp3 if possible (but not required) and play games. Oh yeah, I also use it for phone calls. I am currently using my 5 yr old duct-taped Nokia as this is the only phone I have so I need advice asap.
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best non-smart phone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best non-smart phone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Slim pickings in the non-smartphone arena
by Pepe7 / May 23, 2011 12:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Best non-smart phone

You might reconsider since the choices are somewhat tepid of late. Personally, I would consider buying an unlocked, unbranded, non-ATT issued smartphone since you will likely be spending at least $100 anyway for a basic phone that doesn't do very much. I certainly wouldn't expect much from their free to $50 range of non-smartphones as upgrades. Heck one of those replacements likely won't even get the same reliable reception as your current taped RAZR. Also, unlimited data on a 'dumbphone' with a tiny screen makes little sense in this day and age. And yes, you *can* use a smartphone on ATT's network w/o having to change your data plan, btw. One of the following Nokias would fit the bill nicely IMHO and E.

Examples-

Nokia C6
http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Unlocked-Side-Sliding-Touchscreen-Navigation/dp/B003VNKLES/ref=pd_cp_cps_3

Nokia C6-01 (true, worldphone with all the GSM & WCDMA frequency bands), includes HD capability
http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Unlocked-Recording-Navigation-U-S-Warranty/dp/B0046RE9CS/ref=pd_cp_cps_3

Nokia C5-03
http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-C5-03-Unlocked-Navigation-Optimized/dp/B004P8JL7G/ref=pd_cp_cps_4

E5-00
http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Unlocked-QWERTY-Camera-Navigation/dp/B003X26SLC/ref=pd_cp_cps_2

C3-00 (least expensive, but lacks 3G frequency bands)
http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Unlocked-Dedicated-Slot-U-S-Warranty/dp/B003V4AJSU/ref=pd_bxgy_cps_text_c

Collapse -
smart phone vs non
by mprofant / May 24, 2011 4:28 AM PDT

It's not so much the cost of the phone as it is the cost of the monthly services. Right now with unlimited data, text messaging, pictures, etc., I pay about $70.month.. And AT&T is the only service provider that has reliable service in my area (interesting because Verizon would be my landline). But if I can just install the SIM card from my Razr into a unlocked smart phone and not have to change plans, I'd love to do that. Right now I just can't afford to pay any higher monthly charges.

Collapse -
Ignore the Chinese spammers below
by Pepe7 / May 24, 2011 5:39 AM PDT
In reply to: smart phone vs non

They seem to repeatedly come on with very cryptic responses that have odd bits of HTML code attached ;).

Collapse -
Non smartphone to smartphone on att
by Patinla / June 26, 2011 2:05 AM PDT

I was reading your posts to Pepe7. I have a different situation and wonder if you can help me with it. I have a non smartphone with att at present with no data plan and would like to switch to an unlocked Nokia N8 smartphone. I am more interested in the picture and hd video recorder on the phone than a data plan. I would like to just insert my sim card and continue on without a data plan. Is this possible?

Thanks for your assistance.

Collapse -
As long as....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / May 13, 2012 8:10 AM PDT

.....At&t cannot recognize the phone model (and they shouldn't with the N8) you should be able to keep using the phone without a data plan.

Collapse -
smart phone vs non-smart phone
by sunnyNow / May 27, 2012 2:23 AM PDT

Several years ago I moved from Verizon to Razr with AT&T because I could not get a signal inside my home with Verizon. With the Razr I now am getting 3 bars. I would like to get a new phone but do not want to pay for data plans at present. I have a nice plan with AT&T and would prefer not to move to Verizon but would make the move for the right phone. My primary concern is still phone quality and reception quality. It would be nice to have a decent camera phone with a headset jack. Messaging is not required. What is your recomendation?

Collapse -
i was looking at the nokia c5-03 and i am wondering if it is
by twin9987 / May 13, 2012 7:52 AM PDT

i was looking at the nokia c5-03 and i am wondering if it is a smartphone becuz i looked on google and it said it was but than u said it wasn't i am very confused?

Collapse -
Does this still work?
by mommaterre / July 17, 2012 9:51 AM PDT

I was considering getting the Nokia and using my sim card from my non-smartphone.....

Collapse -
Answer
non-smartphones
by AccessoryGeeks / May 24, 2011 3:57 AM PDT

Here is my recommendation:
The LG wine:
CDMA 850/1900
LCD display with true color.
48MB of memory.
850 mAh battery.

It's probably as good as a non-smart phone gets, with the added exterior appearances.

Collapse -
Did you miss something? (LOL)
by Pepe7 / May 24, 2011 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: non-smartphones

What good is a CDMA phone on her ATT (GSM) network?

Collapse -
Answer
here are your choices
by kimmykimmy / May 24, 2011 4:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
But why bother with such ancient phones? (n/t)
by Pepe7 / July 18, 2012 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: here are your choices

n/t

Collapse -
Check the posting date....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / July 18, 2012 4:43 AM PDT

Pepe7,

You responded to a post from May 2011, of course the phones in that link are "outdated".

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.