The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Best Non-iPhone Phone?

by robstak / February 25, 2010 1:59 AM PST

I'm in the market. So just out of curiosity, what do you guys/gals think? Droid? Pre? Maybe I should wait for "Windows. Go! For Phone 7!" lol

-dr. karl Happy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Non-iPhone Phone?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Non-iPhone Phone?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm a sucker for seamless UI's and ease of use so I'd
by minimalist / February 25, 2010 2:40 AM PST
In reply to: Best Non-iPhone Phone?

definitely go for a Pre Plus if I wasn't tied to my iPhone. I agree with the guys at Engadget that the Pre's pathetic marketing doesn't do its truly innovative UI justice.

Collapse -
So am I
by Nicholas Buenk / February 25, 2010 8:52 AM PST

WebOS is slick enough to come out of Apple. But I'd be worried about the future of webos and that it has few apps because Palm got the SDK out so late. Additionally, it's JavaScript and HTML apps. That essentially means same technolgy as dashboard widgets. Doesn't look good.
So I'd probably settle with a nexus one.

Collapse -
It depends on how important app selection is to you
by minimalist / February 25, 2010 9:52 PM PST
In reply to: So am I

If you just want some social networking apps and some of the basics like Pandora, etc then pretty much all smart phones have them these days. If you need access to really specific apps then obviously iPhone and Android dominate. But for every worthwhile app there are 20 or 30 really bad ones you have to wade through to find the gems.

If I had to choose am Android device I'd go with the Nexus One too (the droid has awkward industrial design in my opinion). The Google GPS mapping app is really nice but I still don;t like the Android UI as well as much as the iPhone UI. The Pre, however, is in my opinion better than both the iPhone and Android when it comes to the user interface.

Collapse -
Is iPhone store impossible to sift through?
by robstak / February 26, 2010 12:54 AM PST

If I were apple I wouldn't be bragging about 3402394838 apps in their store, that just sounds really freakin hard to sift through...

If I want solitaire do I have to try 110 versions to find the one I like?

that, to me, is super annoying lol.

truth?

-k

Collapse -
It is super annoying. Lots of good apps fall through
by minimalist / February 26, 2010 1:55 AM PST

the cracks. Not sure that Android will be much better. There needs to be a curating process whereby real people show you the best new apps. Automating it all with algorithms means developers can game the system.

Collapse -
also, is there any way to get discontinued apps?
by robstak / February 26, 2010 12:57 AM PST

like the tethering app that was up for a couple days?

can you just dl them or do you have to jailbreak or there's no way to do it?

Collapse -
I have that tethering app. Its not that great an
by minimalist / February 26, 2010 1:58 AM PST

experience. Because its been pulled there is no way to get updates so it sort of is what it is.

Collapse -
True
by Nicholas Buenk / February 26, 2010 6:30 AM PST

App count is really not important. You don't need 100 flashlight apps. And the Macintosh has fewer apps than Windows, it's by no means less useful than Windows. It's infact hypocritical for Apple to point out the advantages of raw app numbers.
But WebOS is nearly devoid of apps compared to iPhone and Android. Lets see, 140 000 apps for iPhone, 25 000 for Android, and 1700 for WebOS.

Collapse -
Its sort of a a turnaround of the old Mac v. PC
by minimalist / February 26, 2010 8:29 AM PST
In reply to: True

arguments, isn't it?

Lots of PC people used to insist Macs were inferior because of the sheer number of PC applications available. Of course they failed to mention that there was a Mac equivalent for the majority of applications that people actually used... there just weren't 50 of each of them. They were playing a numbers game but quantity does not equal quality. Now the iPhone is adrift in a sea low quality apps. Thankfully its got a lot more going for it other than just a numbers game.

Palm is still the underdog that I feel compelled to root for because they really pulled out all the stops and made a great OS. I really hope they can change the trajectory they are currently on. They need to get the word out and take back their marketing from those idiots who want to sell the Pre as a mommyphone. That is not a winning strategy.

Collapse -
What do you need?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2010 3:32 AM PST

I admit it. I own 2 trac fones which ride in the car. And the smart phones are all part of the office gear where they foot the bills. We have a few Palm Treos, and with that ending I test my apps on the HTC Touch Pro 2, Pharos m619, Treo 700w and 2 other WM PDAs.

I am looking forward to WM 7.
Bob

Collapse -
Smartphone.
by robstak / February 25, 2010 3:53 AM PST
In reply to: What do you need?

I've had WinMo HTC devices for the past 5 or 6 yrs (?), most recently the HTC Touch.

Preamble:
A. I'm KINDAAA sick of not having a keyboard, but it's not a deal breaker.
B. I'm KINDAAA sick of having a crappy camera, but it's also not a deal breaker.
C. I'm NOT sick of WinMo, actually. despite all the hate it gets, I don't mind it AT ALL, but I am still open to other things as well...

Wants:
1. Being able to tether is important, but im willing to root a phone/pay for it if necessary.
2. Social Networking integration is key.
3. Finally, I need the phone to talk to my car for voice dialing.

I've fiddled with the pre and android and was never SUPER compelled towards either, but I've never had the chance to really play around with either, so I'm still curious about them, but confused about all the different Android versions.

I'd rather stay with Verizon, but I could be persuaded. Don't care about price of phone or plan as long as its not 700$ unlocked phone or something. And finally, as for iPhone- obvious great choice, but I'm trying not to switch to AT&T...

thanks Wink
karl

Collapse -
If a keyboard is what you want.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2010 8:17 AM PST
In reply to: Smartphone.

That Pharos m619 is one big keyboard. It's a monster old phone but can be had cheap, unlocked and has GPS, and more. It is not stylish. It fails at least one of your wants.

The Palm Pre and its tricks with tether is pretty cool but then we have that data plan which many can't have.

My brother has a blackberry and he has no data plan but it does tether.

If you wait for WM7, you may get it all. The HTC Mini looks good.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks man!
by robstak / February 25, 2010 11:23 PM PST

i had never heard of the pharos phone b4, interesting, looks like a bb bold or what have you.

also, waiting for winmo7 is also a consideration as well, but then you get into that "you will always be waiting for the next best thing" loop... so torn cuz the interface looks AWESOME!

-k

Collapse -
It's not far away.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2010 12:57 AM PST
In reply to: thanks man!

I'm writing WM apps and the train of new WM 7 phones will be here soon. WM 6.5 was fine but is so 2000.
Bob

Collapse -
sweet! so if you have access...
by robstak / February 27, 2010 2:00 AM PST
In reply to: It's not far away.

you really think its revolutionary/worth the wait?

Collapse -
Best Non-iPhone Phone?
by wizkids32 / February 25, 2010 6:27 AM PST

The Nexis One

Collapse -
(NT) definitely on the list!
by robstak / February 25, 2010 8:08 AM PST
Collapse -
The only thing that would make me hesitate on the Nexus One
by minimalist / February 28, 2010 2:48 AM PST

is that Google has no clue how to offer real customer support. A forum and an email address is NOT adequate support for a 200 dollar phone that costs thousands of dollars to operate over the life of its contract.

I use a paid Google program for work (SketchUp Pro) and again support is basically non-existant. Its a really bad situation and makes google look like a bunch of amateurs that are in way over their heads. Its fine when you are getting their services for free but Google has got to step it up for paid hardware and software.

Collapse -
meh service not an issue, HOWEVER INSURANCE is...
by robstak / March 1, 2010 11:37 AM PST

im usually able to fix my phones when i mess them up, but i heard you cant get assurian-type insurance on the iphone! truth!?

if that is so, that is sad cuz i break my phones all the time. i cant see having to pay 500 to replace an iphone cuz i dropped it in the toilet....

Collapse -
Isnt that
by Nicholas Buenk / March 1, 2010 2:00 PM PST

More a fault with AT&T?
I mean they're just one carrier of many the device is on around the world...

Collapse -
wait, so you can't insure ANY ATT phones??
by robstak / March 1, 2010 8:43 PM PST
In reply to: Isnt that

boo and also hiss. :/

Collapse -
Get a rider with your home or renters insurance
by minimalist / March 1, 2010 10:06 PM PST

that bypasses your deductible. I have one that covers my laptop, dslr, and iPhone. Stuff that I carry with me daily.

Collapse -
(NT) good idea! tysm!
by robstak / March 2, 2010 12:36 PM PST
Collapse -
I don't think so...
by porsche10x / March 2, 2010 11:21 PM PST

I can't believe that ATT does not provide insurance. Why? because I used to have it from ATT. It's $5/month, but you have to start it when you sign up. You can't add it later (for obvious reasons). I don't have an Iphone, and the premium might be different since it's an expensive phone. Things might have changed recently, but I doubt it. After all, the insurance is a ripoff. For most, it's cheaper in the long run to just buy a new phone if damaged or lost. It has to be, otherwise they wouldn't make any money selling the insurance, right? (The same thing applies to most extended warranties, too!)

Also, if you're uninsured and really need a new phone before your contract allows it, you can usually add a line and get a new phone with it, free or discounted. You'll have to pay for the line for an entire new contract period, but it's still may be cheaper than a new phone.

Collapse -
HAAAATTEE my Palm Pre
by paintguru / February 25, 2010 9:52 AM PST

It is a piece of crap. Messes up when it plays certain songs that were synced up from my iTunes, is laggy, now I can't download apps because something is messed up with that. If I could go back I would never buy this piece of junk. I'll bring it into the Sprint store to see if they can do anything about it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Collapse -
interesting. coincides with what was said on BOL yesterday
by robstak / February 25, 2010 11:24 PM PST
In reply to: HAAAATTEE my Palm Pre

hmmmmm......

Collapse -
Definitely do a hmmmm....
by paintguru / February 26, 2010 12:32 AM PST

I mean this is my first full smartphone, so perhaps I'm expecting too much. I have no idea what could be up with the music issues. I know it can't play whatever the old iTunes format was, but even with other songs it seems to lock up and then just go back to the main menu (so I need to restart my playlist all over again). The apps aren't that exciting...I still have yet to find one that will scan bar codes and find the product for the cheapest price. Oh also, sometimes it seems like the phone won't shut down a program that I closed, because it will get really warm and drain the battery at an accelerated rate. I'm not sure if it doesn't completely close out the processor intensive program I was running or what, but it is just another frustration that has come along with my particular Pre.

Collapse -
HTC Touch Pro 2
by Y2K Blackout / February 27, 2010 12:28 AM PST

Just a WIN phone...

Collapse -
OK. Narrowed it down: DROID or NEXUS ONE. thoughts?
by robstak / March 1, 2010 8:54 PM PST

This is a tough one for me. Both for Verizon (NexusOne supposed March 25th launch):

Droid:
PLUS: KEYBOARD (ive had keyboard envy for 2 yrs now), 16GB preinstalled flash
MINUS: 500MHz/less RAM

Nexus One:
PLUS: 1GHz/more RAM, OLED
MINUS: no keyboard, less preinstalled flash

There's tons of articles out there on this, but maybe someone has used both and can share their impression. I think they are both sexy in their own ways, and it seems they'll be on the same OS update track (hopefully), so I'm not TOO TOO worried about the DROID lacking multitouch integration or Flash support (ok, right? lol)

anything else to consider? perhaps droid will get motoblur in future?

Dr. K

Collapse -
I look around a lot and you should try that sometime :)
by paulporter1 / March 21, 2010 2:07 AM PDT

I had the same question myself months ago when I wrecked my iPhone. Being the Facebook-crazy person that I am, I added a Facebook page where you can find a detailed list and description of cheap cellphones of most major brands in the market; that way, I get my updates through Facebook. For everyone's reference: http://www.facebook.com/cellulars (if you're in the US) and http://www.facebook.com/cheapmobilephones . Enjoy!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.