Car Tech

General discussion

best mid-sive SUV?

by cjvista217 / July 4, 2008 12:41 AM PDT

im looking for a new suv, i have a gmc envoy and im looking for something smaller like a nissan murano or something in that style and size. does anyone have any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: best mid-sive SUV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: best mid-sive SUV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Mid-size SUV
by Dan Filice / July 5, 2008 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: best mid-sive SUV?

A year ago, my wife wanted the same thing. We went to practically every dealer to sit in every mid-sized SUV and we test-drove the ones we felt were possibilities. We ended up buying the Acura RDX with Technology Package. Acura's are great in that they basically come in only two option trims: One is with, and one is without Technology Package. The TP comes with GPS and upgraded stereo, but even in the "basic" trim level, the RDX came with sun roof, heated leather seats, all-wheel drive, 19" wheels, back-up camera, iPod plug-in and other items that everyone else charged extra for. The competitors either felt cheap, were too expensive, or didn't feel right when I sat in the drivers seat. I don't know why, but several SUVs had odd arm rests between the seats where my elbow would fall between two fold-down arm rests. I preferred having a console between the seats to use as an arm rest. The RDX also gets about 24mpg, which isn't great, but was OK for our needs. The biggest difference was how the RDX felt when we drove it. It felt like a sports car compared to everything else we drove. It has a 4-cyl Turbo engine that I was skeptical of, but it has so much power and is so smooth it's unbelievable. The closest 2nd choice SUV for us was the Murano, but when we drove it, it felt like the other Nissan vehicles which all feel very hard and plastic-like. My son owns a 2003 Altima and the interior of his car is very all very hard plastic. After owning the RDX for almost a year, my opinion hasn't changed. I'm a very critical car owner and after all this time, I still like the RDX very much. Typically after owning a car for short time, I'll find something that bothers me about it. Nothing about the RDX bothers me. Anyways, suggesting a car to anyone is difficult because everyone has their own "needs" and everyone has their own opinion which is different that everyone else. Ask 50 people about whether you should buy an LCD, Plasma, DLP or projection TV and it will be like asking about a car: You will get 50 different opinions.

Collapse -
Lincoln mkx
by carly620 / July 12, 2008 12:52 PM PDT

We own a Lincoln Mkx. Its great inside and loaded with useful tech. some of the options are like thx sound system back up camera adaptive headlight navigation rear dvd moon roof and a tonne more. and it also comes standard with microsoft sync. Sync is great for connecting ur ipod or phone. and it works amazing. great quality car nice seats. even get 24 mpg

Collapse -
Mkx
by Dan Filice / July 13, 2008 2:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Lincoln mkx

We looked at this recently. Nice vehicle. The 2-wheel drive model is EPA at 24 mpg highway, but the all-wheel drive is 15 city, 22 highway. Since most of my driving was city, this didn't work. Also, to get the options on the Lincoln that I wanted (all-wheel drive, voice-activated navigation and Bluetooth for my cell phone, heated leather seats, 20" wheels, sunroof. rear camera, 5.1 Surround stereo, etc,), the Lincoln was about $7000 more than I wanted to pay. What's with paying $1000 for an option package that gives a chrome grill and door handles and seats that have "Lincoln" stitched in them. It's a seat! Leave it to GM and Ford to over-chrome everything. The RDX is about $36K with everything...except it didn't come with stitched head-rests or a whole-roof sun roof. But like I mentioned, everyone has their own needs. Discussing cars is like discussing religion and computers...fist-fights await.

Collapse -
CR
by streamline35 / July 16, 2008 9:11 AM PDT

Consumer reports gives the top two rankings to the toyota highlander and lexus rx hybrid's, with the regular highlander and rx coming in 3rd and 4th (respectively). They haven't finished the tests on the new honda pilot, but the old one scored very well. The Acura MDX scored 5th on their rankings.

Collapse -
Check out the Kia Borrego
by run_va / July 17, 2008 6:46 AM PDT
In reply to: CR

The Kia Borrego has an optional V8 with 337hp on tap, and the independent rear suspension gives it more of a car-like ride. It definitely overcomes competitors in the segment as far as price goes. Definitely give the Borrego a look.

http://www.kia.com/borrego/borrego-specs.php

Collapse -
Subaru Forester
by Dental_FlossTycoon / January 19, 2010 11:06 PM PST

Subaru Forester? Got SUV of the year in 2009 and was redesigned. Top Crash test ratings, 27 mpg, symetrical REAL All Wheel Drive. Check it out.

Collapse -
Honda Pilot
by ijdmtoy / June 8, 2010 4:51 PM PDT

Honda Pilot is pretty good choice.

Honda Pilot should be one of the best midsize SUV in its class. It has nice V6 engine with above-average fuel economy and the easy to drive.

It has optional 7 to 8 seats and plenty of room are.

This is a good choice.

Car LED Lighting Expert

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.