Desktops

General discussion

Best memory for the buck,

by thelisters / May 21, 2005 9:04 PM PDT

Hello fellow c/net-ters, I am one of the many people looking to upgrade my ram. I currently only have only 1 stick of 516m/b(pc2700) in a amd xp 2800 system w/ a 256/mb Fx5600 nividia graphics card on win xp. I am considering switching over to 1 gig of pc3200 is it a worthwile switch or should i just stick with the pc2700. I have heard that pc3200 was a more unstable ram then that of the 2700. I am not that new to this however i am a cheap ******* so anyone could give me an idea of what to buy so i don't waist time and money, i would be greatful. And i've looked at the all the different brands from what i have seen and read going with high end ram really only serves those who use the cpu for gaming. I use mine mostly internet and dvd backup Happy
Thanks...

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best memory for the buck,
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best memory for the buck,
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Musing
by bob b / May 22, 2005 6:26 AM PDT

512@pc2700=40 bucks
512@pc3200=40 bucks
but you would need two of the pc3200 so 80 bucks.

Now the questions.
Will the mobo support pc3200?
Do you want to spend 80 bucks?
Is pc3200 faster?>yes
Will you see a diff?>hmmm.
512MB+XP+GP usage seems to be the sweet spot so if you go to 1GB will it be a plus? >unknown, try it.

Just an opinion.
I think that many folks can get as much extra perf out of the machine with some serious house cleaning as they will with making the machine bigger/more powerful.

Collapse -
I got a mb soyo kt600 v.1 that lets me change ram spd
by thelisters / May 25, 2005 5:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Musing

My mother board allows me to change the speed and or over clock the ram or and cpu. I know there isn't much difference especially with such a lame amd chip, but it gets the job done. So thanks for your input i think i might as well just go for the faster cheeper pc3200 1gb on 82 bucks on zipzoomfly.com. thanks

Collapse -
re pc2700 or pc3200
by eightbalnut / May 27, 2005 4:41 AM PDT

Answer as to is it worth increasing mem for better faster and more stable performance is yes;as win xp ( esp. xp pro ) eats mem then upgrading your mem is far better and much cheaper than looking at buying faster!!! processor as its the mem that gives you the zoom zoom factor i run an AMD Athlon XP 4 processor with 1 mb of pc 2700 and trust me that makes a difference and not neccessary to use pc3200 to get that....Eightbalnut

Collapse -
really?
by brewdog / May 27, 2005 5:00 AM PDT
In reply to: re pc2700 or pc3200

Your'e running a computer with 1 MB of RAM?

Collapse -
1MB......., 1GB, whatever !!?
by davetron / May 27, 2005 2:29 PM PDT
In reply to: really?

I hope that he meant 1 gig...although I remember the days of going to Sams Club and buying 4 250K sticks so we could get 1MB and thinking that was hot stuff !! I think that package deal cost $80 back then !!

Collapse -
re mem.
by eightbalnut / May 30, 2005 9:49 AM PDT
In reply to: really?

A simple typo my man i run 1 GIGABYTE of memory ok

Collapse -
How much memory?
by rub / May 28, 2005 5:22 AM PDT

I'm doing some very old photo scans and restores. I have to use hi-res scans to get anything to work with and I get very large files ( one came out at 462 Mb ) and the processing uses so much virtual memory, I'm spending 90% of my time at the 2nd PC, waiting for the 1st to finish. I have 512 Mb now which I'm doubling ( 1 Gb is max ) which I hope will make a real difference. If that doesn't work, I'll get a new PC with 2 Gb. I've got months of work ahead. I haven't seen any Whetstones( etc ) for graphics processing. Too bad. It's really needed.

Collapse -
wont matter
by simonxliu / May 23, 2005 9:30 AM PDT

It won't matter if you get 2700 or 3200, your fsb is only at 333. If you have 2 sticks, both sticks will just run at 166. It would be best to just buy the cheapest ram with low latencies (2-2-2-5)

Collapse -
re:wont matter
by GMartin2R / May 23, 2005 4:58 PM PDT
In reply to: wont matter

where are you getting that the fsb is only 333? is that speed inherent to the cpu or soemthing?

Collapse -
GP answer
by bob b / May 23, 2005 10:37 PM PDT
In reply to: re:wont matter

FSBx8=memory speed

So 333x8=2700 (rounded off)

Very confusing stuff.
PCxxxx
DDRxxx
Happy

Collapse -
so...
by GMartin2R / May 24, 2005 5:25 PM PDT
In reply to: GP answer

ok so the FSB rating on the motherboards is simply what it's capable of or is there more that i'm not getting. i mean intel chipsets commonly have FSB of 533 to 800 mhz. so would one have to use pc4800 to get full useage of a chipset with an 800MHz FSB? and in my case i'm using pc3200 so is my FSB limited to 400MHz regardless of how i'm set up oterwise? i'm amd64 3200 with nforce4 Ultra btw.

Collapse -
Others
by bob b / May 24, 2005 11:48 PM PDT
In reply to: so...

get into that tech-no stuff, it gives me a headache trying to translate it into english.

So here's my cloudy view.

You have a machine with a 800mhz fsb(big pipe).
The big pipe connects to the memory controller.
You have one stick of pc3200 memory.
The memory controller creates a 400mhz bus(small pipe) to run that stick. (single channel mode)

Now let's say you have two sticks of pc3200 memory.
The memory controller creates two 400mhz buses (two small pipes) one for each stick. (Dual channel mode)

The one or two small pipes feed into the big pipe.

That's kind of a big picture that doesn't cover all the variables.

Collapse -
hmm ok
by GMartin2R / May 25, 2005 7:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Others

i'll mull that over...

Collapse -
Best memory 4 buck
by randarac / May 27, 2005 3:10 AM PDT

Let's go uncomplicated. I had 512MB RAM pc3200 400 and went for 512 more. I was quite shure I was not going to appreciate the diff.... buy I DID. I cost me less than $80. TigerD.

Collapse -
FSB -Ram
by rikuah / May 28, 2005 2:01 AM PDT

I have an intel motherboard with 800Fsb and 512 MB DDR Ram(dual-256x2)with Win XP SP2
But on reading these posts on this forum,I checked the rams and both are Pc 400 forget the 2700/3200 stuff.

So does this mean that my pc isn't running correctly/isn't running to its potential?

Collapse -
FSB -Ram
by bob b / May 28, 2005 8:15 AM PDT
In reply to: FSB -Ram

PC3200=ddr400=pc400 and perhaps some other names.

Makers do that just to aggrevate the heck out of people.

Sounds like your fine.

Collapse -
probably
by mcgilbdd / May 28, 2005 2:12 PM PDT
In reply to: FSB -Ram

If you are running at rated speed (no overclocking) then you are probably doing OK. Some manufactures rate their memory at 200 MHz, some at 400 MHz, and still call it PC3200. No real standard here in the way they are advertised, and some confusion exist because some main boards are rated for dual channel PC 3200, other boards are not. Dual channel = 200mhz (fsb) x2 (double pumped)=400mh x 2 channels = 800mhz. A machine with a FSB speed of 200mh with dual channel DDR (dual data rate - dual channel ) memory has an effective speed of 800mh.

You need to look up the specs on your computer and see what type of memory it was designed for. If would stand to reason that if you bought a ''package deal'' , that the correct memory type is in the computer. However, that memory might not be the fastest in it's class. (IE, cheap memory). In that case, trading for some faster memory in the same class, but with better latency numbers (2.5-2-2 vs 3-4-4) will make a slight (but noticeable)increase in speed of the machine. Buying PC 3700 memory won't help, if the chipset on the mainboard isn't designed to take advantage of it.

Now, you are as confused as I am Happy Have a nice day.

Collapse -
re mem
by eightbalnut / May 30, 2005 9:55 AM PDT
In reply to: wont matter

buy a pc where you can use 400 instead very simple and for the guy doing graphics work get yourself a mac far better for graphics

Collapse -
Better Investment For Your Money
by TheGem43 / May 26, 2005 9:08 PM PDT

I suggest you save the extra money needed for PC3200 RAM and spend it on a good English dictionary and grammar book.

Collapse -
Who's the paragon?
by rub / May 28, 2005 5:32 AM PDT

We spend a lot of time watching/listening to BBC. There was a time when their programmes were considered to be the yardstick for the English language. Have you listened to BBC lately. With the exception of a few commentators like Tom Brokaw and Peter Jennings, I've virtually closed my ears to American TV. And the schools aren't much better. So, who's teaching English and where?

Collapse -
Re:Better Investment For Your Money
by jgroller / May 31, 2005 5:47 AM PDT

Amen. And the original post is no where NEAR as bad as some of the false answers given. I suspect 4th graders aren't swapping RAM, but you would think by the grammar...

Collapse -
It depends on what you want
by mcgilbdd / May 26, 2005 11:28 PM PDT

The link below is for the soyo manufacture's home page for your mainboard. The specs say that you can use up to PC3500, depending on the processor (you would need to have an XP Barton processor at 400MH Front side buss) to be able to take advantage of the speed. If you do not use that procesor, but think you may upgrade to it inthe future, then you should buy the faster memory now. NEVER SKIMP ON MEMORY, if you want to overclock. If you just run at rated clock speed, the cheaper PC 3200 Value Select memory will probably serve you well.
However, when you start clocking up, it bottems out quickly , and you will be watching a blue screen, filled with white text :).

Each link below is a different page of the mainboard's
specs. Enjoy.
http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=280
http://www.soyousa.com/kb/kbdesc.php?id=128
http://www.soyousa.com/kb/kbdesc.php?id=73

Collapse -
overclocking
by eightbalnut / May 30, 2005 9:47 AM PDT

I will make this short and simple.If any of you decide to try overclocking youur processor be prepared to need a new processor very soon as you will 'burn it out' just buy extra memory instead safer and cheaper.

Collapse -
burnout
by mcgilbdd / May 30, 2005 3:25 PM PDT
In reply to: overclocking

Not entirely true. What kills any solid state device is heat. If you understand how to get rid of the heat, you can overclock to the limit of the mainboard and memory. If you fail to get rid of the heat, then....you have problems.

Most fans will work for mild overclocking, but you should check the fins on the heat sink about once a month, and clean them thoroughly . Clogged heat sinks cause major problems, and the most common cause of failure. Most modern processors/ chipsets on mainboards have thermal shutdown circuits which will reduce the clock speed of the processor as it approaches max thermal. The processor will shutdown completely at some point. If you continuously run it against this limit.....your processor life will be short.

These conditions can occur , even if you don't overclock. If you let your heat sink fins clog, high processor temps will occur. Case air filtering can be very important, depending on where you live, and how dusty the environment around the computer is.

I run a water cooler on a 3.2 Gig Prescott Intell clocked at 3.5 Gig , and never let it get above 45deg C (that is at 2 hours of 100% processor ) It should live long and well. The water cooling allows me to have a nice , quiet computer, instead of listening to the loud ''volcano +7'' fan that I was running. It sounded like a leaf blower.

If you have a 3.0 Gig processor or above you probably have considerable fan noise, if you are keeping it cool.

Just the facts.

Collapse -
HOW MISINFORMED YOU ARE
by ck5134 / October 14, 2005 3:32 AM PDT
In reply to: overclocking

do you realy think that everyone that overclocks is going to burn out their cpu. well my athlon 3000 venice at stock speeds (1800 mhz) ran at 31

Collapse -
Best Memory
by blizzard / May 27, 2005 4:07 AM PDT

Crucial memory sticks are the best I have found. They are valus priced and they stand behind their product. And you can deal whith them direct at www.crucial.com.
On their site, if you are not sure what memory you need they have useful search match.

Collapse -
Best memory for the buck for Macs
by lrmeditor / May 27, 2005 6:04 AM PDT

[Hello fellow c/net-ters, I am one of the many people looking to upgrade my ram. I currently only have only 1 stick of 516m/b(pc2700) in a amd xp 2800 system w/ a 256/mb Fx5600 nividia graphics card on win xp. I am considering switching over to 1 gig of pc3200 is it a worthwile switch or should i just stick with the pc2700. I have heard that pc3200 was a more unstable ram then that of the 2700. I am not that new to this however i am a cheap ******* so anyone could give me an idea of what to buy so i don't waist time and money, i would be greatful. And i've looked at the all the different brands from what i have seen and read going with high end ram really only serves those who use the cpu for gaming. I use mine mostly internet and dvd backup
Thanks...]

That's really great info for Windows users, but what about upgrading RAM for Mac users? Do we have a choice? If so, which is the best?
Thanks,
MacStorm

Collapse -
mixing 512mb & 1024mg
by 3151jeff / May 28, 2005 4:35 AM PDT

I have one stick of Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512, can I add a 1024mg to run along side it or should I stick to another 512mg. Also can I run a Kingston along with another brand? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) How did milligrams get in here?
by rub / May 28, 2005 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: mixing 512mb & 1024mg
Collapse -
typo on milligrams
by 3151jeff / May 28, 2005 7:04 AM PDT

sorry I should have double checked for typos.
Still looking for input on my query

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.