TVs & Home Theaters forum

? Best Large ( 60" or bigger) LED TV?

by midela / April 10, 2012 3:15 AM PDT

Hi out there!
We've been contemplating purchasing a new, large LED HDTV. We were strongly drawn to the Sony XBR65HX929, but with all of turmoil going on, at Sony, we worry about service and support and parts availability, down the road.
The Features we really care about are:
Best Picture quality, especially with fast-action, such as Hockey.
Ease of use
Sound quality
The Features we do not care about:
My Husband is not tech-savvy, and does not care to be.
I am the one that looks after all that stuff.
However, it seems that all HDTV's come with these Features now, so I'll slowly "indoctrinate" him!
My Husband has been a faithful Sony owner forever.
However, I'm starting to think that the other brands out there, particularly Samsung, are much more advanced.

We would really appreciate the help!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ? Best Large ( 60" or bigger) LED TV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ? Best Large ( 60" or bigger) LED TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Why not 'indoctrinate' him with a plasma?
by Pepe7 / April 10, 2012 4:11 AM PDT

For fast motion, it can't be beat. Your thoughts?

Collapse -
He Says "NO!" to Plasma
by midela / April 10, 2012 9:18 AM PDT

We both realize plasma is great for Hockey, but we both know people who bought plasma, one a few years ago, one last year, and the one from 2011, an expensive and highly rated plasma, just out of warranty time, started blowing pixels or something, a huge loss for him!

Soooo, we are sticking with LED. Everything we read and compared said the sony 929 was fantastic, but, as I said, I would really like to know more, about comparisons with other LED big-screen brands.

So let's hear your opinions everyone!

Collapse -
Keep researching and be objective as possible
by Pepe7 / April 10, 2012 11:11 AM PDT

Sorry to hear your friends had issues, but short of anything more concrete on your end in understanding precisely *why* those large plasma panels failed, it doesn't seem logical to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Truth be told, just as many LED-LCD models fail, if not more since more LED models are currently being sold/marketed, since they are newer technology with their own issues regarding quality control. Also, most large LED HDTVs now are being touted as 'smart tvs', which it sounds like you are trying to steer clear of. For sheer value/performance/price you could do better with a plasma IMO if your goal is very good fast motion performance.

You would benefit first from doing some reading at the HDguru blog, and also at AVS forum. Also, have you yet explored CNETs reviews, especially from Katzmaier?

FWIW, I really like the Samsung UNC8000 series LED HDTVs. Sony's still look like cheap video camera images to me by comparison. Samsung gets the colors spot on as well. Best way to evaluate these HDTVs is in your home, side by side, with the same video input. (Yes, pony up and buy two different brands/models, returning the one you are not satisfied with.) Anything other method can sometimes lead to buyer's remorse Sad

Collapse -
Samsung Model
by midela / April 10, 2012 1:06 PM PDT

Thanks, that's the series that I've heard so much about, the "8000" series.
The colour, "black", and sahrp image is supposed to be amazing!
I agree with you, we will just have to try both, side-by-side.

Anyone else with any other models/brands to suggest?

All Answers

Collapse -
60" TV
by pinkzroxor / May 2, 2012 10:37 AM PDT

You know, Sony TVs are great but you should also look into LG TVs. The LM9600 model has 480Hz refresh rate which is high enough to let you see every movements in sports without any blur.

Collapse -
480 refresh?!
by midela / May 2, 2012 2:29 PM PDT
In reply to: 60" TV

Wow! I had NO idea about 480 !
Are any other Brands offering this?

Collapse -
It's $3K + HDTV
by Pepe7 / May 3, 2012 12:57 AM PDT
In reply to: 480 refresh?!

You could do a lot better regarding motion with a plasma for one half the price.

Ideally though, the refresh rate would be the actual panel and not on the LED backlighting. The panel refresh rate is still 240Hz, FWIW.

Collapse -
by pinkzroxor / May 3, 2012 6:28 PM PDT
In reply to: 480 refresh?!

Sony and Samsung also has 480Hz but something about Samsung was kinda off. Its picture isn't quite impressive and the design is ugly too. I can't stand that stand and the ES8000 had some lighting issues.

Collapse -
Can you say Sharp Aquos!
by williamstech / May 10, 2012 2:49 PM PDT

Hello every body,

all have good suggestions. My choice is Sharp Aquos series or Samsung. I have installed a lot of the Sharp Aquos LED's from 40" and up in comercial and residential applications. Great product! I'm also a big fan of Samsung.

Thats my 2 choices!

Collapse -
I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole
by Pepe7 / May 11, 2012 12:58 AM PDT

Maybe for a non-discriminating commercial display for a product line AQUOS are acceptable, but not for home theater application. Sony, Samsung and LG all produce much better LED-LCD panels IME and O.

Collapse -
Two Important Tech Specs
by Dan Filice / May 11, 2012 4:25 AM PDT

To me, the two most important tech specks to be concerned about are these:
1. Pixel Refresh Rate. Most LCD and LED sets are 5 to 8ms. Look for a TV that has 4ms or less. The lower the number, the better your image will be. Slower pixel refresh rates cause lag or smearing to the image. This spec measures the time it takes a pixel to change from 100% white to 100% black. I know you don't want Plasma, but they are rated at around 1.2ms which most consumer LCD and LED sets can't approach.
2. Screen Refresh Rate. This is the time it takes for the entire image to refresh or re-draw itself. Older TVs are 60hz. Then came 120hz. Now we have 240hz. Don't get the Plasma refresh rate of 600hz mixed up with these figures because it's not the same. The higher numbers mean the picture takes less time to refresh. High refresh rates were created to help TVs keep up with fast motion, but there are catches. Seems like 240hz would be the best, no? It's great for 3D, but my personal taste dislikes 240hz because it creates artifical frames that get inserted and it makes theatrical movies look like they were shot on a cheap video camera. Since I don't have 3D, my favorite is 120hz.

Every manufacture handles these two specs differently. Don't get swayed by only reading online specs and reviews and forums. Go see them for yourself and spend time looking at the sets. In general, you can't get a TV that's any brighter than an LED, but that doesn't necessarily make it the best TV. A lot depends on your personal needs and likes.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.