Laptops forum

General discussion

Best laptop under $750

by abradley7 / September 28, 2008 8:34 AM PDT

What are some great laptops for under $750 that will handle/have the following

- high speed even when 7+ windows are open
- store ALOT of photos
-store ALOT of music
- either linux or vista (which should i go with?)
-good sound

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best laptop under $750
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best laptop under $750
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm on the list.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2008 8:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Best laptop under $750

Yeah, that's what I need. I'll subscribe and see what people offer for this price.

Collapse -
Here are 5 laptops to consider
by gary_hend / September 29, 2008 2:13 AM PDT

Hi

A lot of laptops under $750 are capable of speed, photos, music and more. I'd say you should go with Windows Vista if possible.

I recently reviewed 5 laptops under $800 which give you bang for the buck and keep you way within your computing budget. So read on, this information might help you (although it is $50 more than your $750 budget).

1. Toshiba Tecra A9-S9013
The first model of laptop we will look at is the Toshiba Tecra A9-S9013 Equipped with Intel Core 2 Duo technology, 1GB of RAM, a 15.4-inch widescreen display, a DVD writer and a 120GB hard drive, this baby retails for $800. Definitely worth looking at give the price-to-features ratio.

2. Acer Aspire 4710-2013
The Acer Aspire 4710-2013 is also another Intel Core 2 Duo laptop, and comes with 1GB of RAM, a 14.1-inch screen and 802.11g networking support. It weighs 5.5 pounds which is pretty light considering its features. A nice, basic laptop to have if you just want minimal functionality. The last we checked, the street price is only $599!

3. Dell Inspiron 1525
The Dell Inspiron 1525 is a 15.4-inch widescreen laptop that gives the perfec t balance of mobility and power. You can get this unit (with all the basic trappings, including an Intel Core 2 Duo processor and Windows Vista) for a mere - get this - $499. Just visit the dell website and find out more.

4. Gateway T-6828
The Gateway T-6828 is a very decent laptop. Equipped with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 3GB of RAM, 802.11n connectivity, a DVD writer and 14.1-inch widescreen, the Gateway T-6828 is one of the better deals out there. You can have it for around $800 street.

5. HP Pavilion dv6500t
Ok, the street price of the HP Pavilion dv9500t is about $899, but this machine is such a hit we just had to mention it. For $899, you get an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 2GB of RAM, a DVD writer, a 120GB hard drive, as well as an integrated 1.3-megapixel webcam. It also looks simply gorgeous.

If you're out hunting for a bargin laptop, be sure to check out one of the models above. These models are some of the best-value laptops I've seen.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Gary Hendricks
http://www.best-laptop-guide.com

Collapse -
Tags are not allowed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2008 2:20 AM PDT

Sorry but that falls as "site promotion" under the rules. Drop the http link and your posts are great.

Collapse -
Your specs
by Renegade Knight / September 29, 2008 5:00 AM PDT

You want something that can upgrade to 4GB of RAM (or 3.2 for Vista 32 bit) for your 7 plus windows. Normally you can upgrade this on any laptop.

You want massive hard drive space. (You can upgrade this on most laptops later).

Vista is actually fairly nice for working with Photo's. I've only dipped my toe in the Linux waters so I can't speak much to it, though Ubunto comes with The GIMP to work with photo's. You can install it on Vista as well though.

Good sound. There is the tricky one. Most laptops have utterly crappy speakers. You either need to use external ones or get one of the few laptops with good sound. Your odds increase with the media laptops like the Qosmia (or is it Qosmio?) and the HP Version (I had an older one with nice sound it's long discontuned).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.