Laptops forum

Question

Best laptop sound?

by speakerchris / April 28, 2012 8:43 AM PDT

Hi, I am looking for a laptop with the best speakers. I use my laptop to listen to a lot of music and I want something portable. I was looking at the Dell XPS 15. Any other ideas?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best laptop sound?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best laptop sound?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Look for a laptop
by orlbuckeye / April 30, 2012 5:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Best laptop sound?

that has specs that say Dolby Home Theater Audio Enhancement High-Definition Audio Support w/ True 5.1 Channel Surround Sound Output.

In general laptop sound is mediocre at best.

Collapse -
Well with
by orlbuckeye / May 4, 2012 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Look for a laptop
Collapse -
The problem with sound on laptops isn't
by orlbuckeye / May 13, 2012 2:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Look for a laptop

the sound cards it's the speakers. I have Bose External speakers that I use. I also use my Onkyo 7.1 Home theater system connected with HDMI for watching movies.

Collapse -
Answer
Sony
by rvp12Bet / May 4, 2012 1:49 AM PDT

Sony laptops have great sound. I've use a Sony Vaio SZ, and its sound so great.

That is the saving grace of humor, if you fail no one is laughing at you - 12bet

Collapse -
Answer
Honest Answer.
by techyguy717 / May 26, 2012 1:44 PM PDT

As a technology consultant, the Dell XPS 15 and 17 are the best for speaker quality, out of all the reviews I have read over the years. Avoid the "z" thin line, as the speakers are thinner and not as powerful.

To be honest, I love music and will be buying the XPS 17 as soon as the line refreshes with the newest processors from Intel, in about 1 month.

Collapse -
Answer
Display
by edit1754 / May 28, 2012 9:09 AM PDT

The Dell XPS 15, as it is sold new by Dell, is no longer worth buying because the 1920x1080 display upgrade is no longer offered.

15.6" 1366x768 displays, such as the stock display offered with the Dell XPS 15 and now the only display option it offers, make things onscreen large and tend to have very poor image quality due to low contrast. I recommend against buying laptops that have this type of display to those who have a budget that allows them to get a laptop that has a better display and still suits their needs, and who don't require larger text for eyesight-related reasons.

If you don't mind a refurbished laptop, however, you can still find a refurbished Dell XPS 15 that offers the upgraded 1920x1080 B+RGLED display. Follow this link to the Dell Outlet section for the Dell XPS 15, and look for one that lists 15.6 inch FHD (1080p) B+RGLED Display with 2.0 MP webcam under "Click here for available options and upgrades" and under the specific specifications for the model you choose. Avoid the models that do not list this.

However, an alternative laptop that has great speakers and a great display is the Sony Vaio F.

Collapse -
Answer
XPS with MaxxAudio
by DannyFrisco / November 19, 2012 4:25 PM PST

Not sure about the screens, but the XPS systems with the Waves MaxxAudio sound pretty tight. Definitely among the best I've heard in a stand-alone laptop. Kind of a different approach - yes, a good speaker certainly helps the sound, but having the right combination of front end electronics/software/processing can certainly help make the best of it.

Collapse -
Agree,
by CharlesBl / November 21, 2012 4:22 AM PST
In reply to: XPS with MaxxAudio

Waves is great stuff - used a lot of their plugins (processors) at the recording school I went to. Definitely some sought after "gear"....I could see how it could really help out with smaller speaker to (their website has a cool list of users.... Linkin Park, big-time producers and DJs, etc.)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.