Laptops forum

General discussion

Best Laptop For Graphics Design?

by hwphwp / April 25, 2007 8:31 AM PDT

I may be interested in purchasing a new laptop. The main thing I want this laptop to do is have large enough room to install many different designer programs such as photoshop, illustrator, flash, dreamweaver, etc.

Also need it to be fast, and have 17 inch display. Just a laptop built for graphics/web designing, nothing too expensive though. I heard those macbooks are good but they cost too much for me... im only 15.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Laptop For Graphics Design?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Laptop For Graphics Design?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"photoshop, illustrator, flash, dreamweaver"= ChaCHING!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2007 8:54 AM PDT

Wow that can be thousands for the software. Wouldn't a Mac with iLife be cheaper?

Bob

Collapse -
by hwphwp / April 25, 2007 9:14 AM PDT

ilife has itunes, iphoto, iweb stuff like that. I dont think thats what I need. Thx though.

Collapse -
f
by hwphwp / April 26, 2007 8:32 AM PDT
In reply to: .

any help?

Collapse -
Right
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / April 26, 2007 8:41 AM PDT

R. Proffitt is right. It will cost you an arm and a leg for all these softwares ... I hope you won't install them illegally.

You're only 15 and you're already working on professional softwares that cost in average more than 300 $ each ... Ok ... Well, it can be possible, but at 15 ( and I'm 15 too ), I'm sure you don't have the money to spend thousand of dollards to buy all these softwares ( by keeping in mind that you'll buy them legally, please note that I don't encourage hacking softwares, I'm 100 % against this ).

So if you have the money, then, that's ok.

You want a laptop. What a student do with its laptop ( I repeat that I'm a student and I know of what I'm talking about ) ? He carries its laptop wherever he goes. A 17" laptop is heavy, bulky, not easy to carry, big ... I only find defaults to 17" laptops. I personnally have a Dell Inspiron E1505, 15.4", 7 lbs. I find it nice to carry, not too big, not too heavy and enought powerful to do everything you want. If you want a 17" to have a high resolution, note that you can have the same resolution or so on a 15.4" display.

Every laptops with a Core 2 Duo CPU ( wait for the Centrino Pro platform in May, this platform will offer you better performances ), 1.5 GB - 2 GB of RAM ( 1 GB is limit on Vista ) and equiped with an ATi Mobility Radeon X1400 or better would do the job. On Mac, photoshop runs fine with a Radeon X1600, so it could run correctly with a X1400.

Look at Dell, Asus, Toshiba, HP and Lenovo. All are good laptop brands.

Good luck in your buying.

Ghost26

Collapse -
laptop for graphics design
by ramarc / April 26, 2007 12:28 PM PDT

your apps want ram. so 2gb should be your minimum. you should be happy with any dual core based laptop.

here's a couple of retail choices for $1000. you'll need to add another 1gb of ram (about $50 , try to find one that has an open slot so you don't have remove a 512mb stick; doing the upgrade yourself will save you bucks.) also, a $20 2gb flash card for readyboost will aid your performance in vista .
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Toshiba-Satellite-17-Widescreen-Notebook-PC-P205-S6237/sem/rpsm/oid/176869/catOid/-12963/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8294268&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat103700050015&id=1172880155501

Collapse -
try this site
by rowinvane / April 26, 2007 2:30 PM PDT
Collapse -
For Web, I recommend Windows
by jenqdesign / June 4, 2007 3:40 AM PDT

If you're 15 and interested in running professional software programs, congratulations!! ? You're motivated AND smart, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you are thinking of graphic design or web design as a career, you can acquire you software for a few hundred dollars instead of thousands because you get a student discount with student software sites. I wouldn't waste my time with any of that iStuff if you are into this for career.

Down the line, if you want to do web design, you will want to work on windows OS because the majority of the world does and you want to cater to the largest audience of prospective customers. I've been a Mac user for over a decade because when I was in college someone said "the graphic design industry chooses Mac overall." Well, Macs are good, without a doubt. However, I'm making the change to Windows because I just can't justify getting a Mac. Yes, you can get Parallels and run Windows Vista in a window, or you can partition your hard drive and run one OS at a time in bootcamp. I don't see, however, why you would NEED to spend extra when you could just get a quality laptop with Windows Vista and have all you need.

The only offices I have worked where I have been offered a Mac for web design is in a design firm geared for print with a manager geared for print who knows a web site is necessary for the client though does not know too much about HTML or CSS. I found it to be a waste, and it costs time when you have to return to something to make it look better in Windows. Chances are it will look great on a Mac and might not look so good in Windows. However, if it looks good in Windows, the likelihood of it being good for the Mac also is quite higher. The two top browser priorities are IE7 and Firefox, most people ignore or place little emphasis on fixing Safari issues.

If you want to do print only, I say either Mac or Windows is fine. Not all print people use Macs anymore because computers have grown to be better overall than they were when the design audience latched onto Mac. ? Most important, you want to have enough memory. I'm getting 2GB. You should not get a machine that will not allow you to expand to 2GB in the case you only purchase 1GB to start, though 2GB is better for multi-tasking.

As well, if you are interested in design with Adobe programs, I recommend spending some time on the Adobe forums as well. You can get answers to your how-to questions and might find more insight form Adobe users. By the way, Fireworks CS3 is something I can not live without. I spend more time in it than Photoshop overall ans I get tons accomplished faster. There are free webinars that you can attend to help you get an edge on the new features as well.

I'm in the process of picking my laptop, so I can't give you the one ultimate answer for THE laptop for you. If you get a 17 inch, it is a bit more to carry on a daily basis. I've been using a 15 inch and I'm switching to the 17 inch because I want to save space on and around my desk. I do not plan on carrying this with me every day of life, though it will travel with me about half the time.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.