Computer Help forum

General discussion

Best Laptop for a Medical Student

by SMB246 / December 4, 2010 12:57 AM PST

I am stressing out about buying a new laptop for Med school. I want the best laptop for 1500 and under. I am up for any suggestion.

The minimum recommendations for the laptop are as follows:
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.6 GHz
Video: Standard Configuration
Windows XP or higher
IE v. 6.0 or higher
Java Version 1.5 update 17 or higher
Wireless Card: Support of 802.11n network
Apple/Mac users can use Java viewer to access an application
Must be capable of running Windows

Thank you

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Laptop for a Medical Student
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Laptop for a Medical Student
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like
by Jimmy Greystone / December 4, 2010 2:55 AM PST

Sounds like almost any laptop would do.

I'll decline to name names, but I work in the hub for a national retail chain, where we try to fix all the units sold by the chain.

Sony systems strike me as ridiculously overpriced, and the person we have to work on Sony stuff never seems to be wanting for something to do.

Acer (which includes Gateway and eMachines) has a fun habit of not stocking a lot of warranty parts, so getting repairs on those systems can be tricky. Plus, IMO, the hardware quality is crap.

HP (which includes Compaq) is not quite as bad as Acer, but not for a lack of trying.

Toshiba is kind of the goldilocks company. The low end systems suffer from a general case of disinterest, and their high end systems suffer from ambition overriding good sense. Their mid-range systems aren't AS bad.

Dell systems I've worked on extensively in the past. They're similar to Toshiba. Low end is crap, their higher end stuff isn't AS bad as Toshiba, but their mid-range stuff is generally pretty good.

Samsung just entered into the laptop market, and legend has it they poached a huge chunk of Sony's laptop division to get things up and running. Too early to say whether those systems will be crap or good.

Fujitsu, I know next to nothing about, and I think I'm like most people in that my first reaction was, "Fujitsu makes laptops?" I don't see many of them come through, but that could just as easily be because few people buy them as it is that they're good quality.

Apple (full disclosure: I was hired to fix Apple the systems at this chain) systems tend to be of excellent quality, but there's limited selection. There are also a few tradeoffs to running a non-Windows system. They are also a little expensive for what you appear to get feature wise, but most of that is due to Apple having very stringent quality standards. Their repair process is also one of the least painful around. PITA for people like me, who have to deal with Apple's "fussy" nature, but great for people like you.

If, and that's a big if, you think you can deal with the particulars of a Mac vs a PC, I'd say go for the Apple system. It's your best bet of a system that will last you at least a couple of years. Otherwise, I'd probably tip my hat to Dell. Quality is respectable, and at least as of about a year ago when I really stopped working on them regularly, they bundled the least about of crap with the system. They also gave you an OS restore disc that is barely modified from the original Windows install DVD. None of this recovery media garbage where it installs all the extra garbage programs on your system, you get a nice clean install of the OS and the OS alone.

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply.
by SMB246 / December 4, 2010 3:14 AM PST
In reply to: Sounds like

Thanks for the reply.

What are your thoughts on Lenovo thinkpads? I'm surprised that you are positive about Dell. I have 2 dell laptops currently. I have had so many issues with my mini I was planning on staying away from Dell.

Collapse -
Not a fan
by Jimmy Greystone / December 4, 2010 4:53 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the reply.

Not a fan of Lenovo based on what I've seen. They seem to do some really stupid crap, like tape a wifi antenna to the CPU heatsink. Great way to wind up with a melted wifi antenna. And rumor has it IBM is rather displeased with Lenovo as well, and is actually planning to migrate their employees to Toshiba laptops.

And it really doesn't matter if you buy Brand A or Brand B, if you buy the low end cheap stuff, you're going to get a system that is nothing but trouble. That's just a universal. All that stereo equipment and what not that has survived since the 1970s, was some top of the line stuff in its day, that's why it survived. Landfills the world over are full of rusting electronics from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s that were made on the cheap. So if you stay out of the bargain basement, you stand a much better chance of finding something good.

I always tell people that one way or another, you WILL pay for a computer. You can either pay in cash up front, or in tears of frustration, sweat from trying a bunch of different things to resolve an issue, and blood from where you tore your hair out later on.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.