Laptops forum

General discussion

Best Laptop for $800 or less?

by Ognelodhgm / January 25, 2010 5:05 AM PST

Hey long time cnet user here first time poster, I will soon be shoping for a new Laptop im trying to spend no more then $800. I mainly use my current laptop for the internet and music and really thats about all i can do with it. (Dell inspiron 600M). Iam looking for a Laptop that can work fast, handle music photo and video editing, stream video at a good quality, and a decent size hardrive and a 15 inch screen. Pretty much iam looking for the best computer money can buy for $800.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Laptop for $800 or less?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Laptop for $800 or less?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
At the top of the forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2010 5:16 AM PST

Are the laptop pickers. As you know, the best changes daily. At the price, take a look at a Sony nw240f. My son has one and likes it.
Bob

Collapse -
More
by Ognelodhgm / January 25, 2010 5:33 AM PST

The sony looks great....anymore?

Collapse -
Hint.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2010 5:46 AM PST
In reply to: More

Go see one in person. We picked it for a few other reasons you can't appreciate until you pick it up, open and close the lid and "feel" it.

Collapse -
Laptop buying advice for ~ $800
by MAT_Taylor Intel staff / January 26, 2010 3:00 AM PST

There are numerous laptops out there for you to choose from. At $800 you will be toward the upper end of laptops and should be able to find a very nicely configured system. Components of consideration include processors (either dual core or quad core), solid state drives (faster, less likely to lose data, quieter and more energy efficient), and larger amount of memory. Let me tell you I work for Intel and get a chance to demo a lot of systems in a year. Having said that, I would offer you the same advice I would anyone in my family. Start with the processor, click here to find out why. Get the best processor you can afford. Then decide what else is really important. Are you a gamer? Enjoy online entertainment and streaming of shows or movies? Do you want a system that is easy to carry or has a longer battery life? I would steer you toward the all new 2010 Intel Core Family of Processors. Both the all new Intel Core i5 or i3 are great processors, the Core i5 offers two unique capabilities that improve overall performance and were not found on processors from last year. The new performance enhancing technologies are Turbo Boost mode which dynamically speeds up your system and Hyper-Threading capabilities . The Core i5 was actually selected Best in Show at CES by one of the laptop magazines further validating the benefits of the new processors vs. last years. The hardcore review sites also had many glowing things to say about the new processors as well. AnandTech has a nice summary of the technical nuts and bolts of the architecture, but the real reason to peruse the hardware review sites is for the performance comparison as you can see AnandTech site makes it easier to compare. AnandTech makes the bullish claim the performance boosts are the largest he has seen in years. The fuel that drives this performance improvement can be attributed to Turbo boost and Hyper-Threading. Both technologies do as much for overall system performance as they do lowering the amount of heat dissipated. In other words, your lap won?t get as hot from your speedy and energy efficient laptop. As a result there will be quite a few smaller and lighter laptops to choose from when you get ready to purchase. Again, I would encourage you to get as much CPU processor as you can afford. Intel has reams of performance benchmarks all that demonstrates the CPU is the #1 component when it comes to overall system performance. CNET review guide is very easy to follow and includes both editor ratings and end user ratings. I am inclined toward systems that have solid end user ratings as well as editor ratings. CNET CES 2010 PC wrap-up is also worth your time and consideration. Michael Taylor works for Intel in their America?s Marketing Group as a Consumer Marketing Manager. Mike has been with Intel for more than 17 years and enjoys working with the latest and greatest technology solutions. Mike is a firm believer that Performance Matters ? start by selecting your next PC with a great CPU. You may follow him on Twitter at: MATaylor67 where he shares his thoughts on technology, and the occasional killer technology deal.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.