Office & Productivity Software forum

Resolved Question

Best household financial software?

by ominster / September 19, 2012 8:59 AM PDT

Hey all,

What is currently some of the best household financial management software suites on the market? I don't care about price too much (something reasonable), free is fine as well. Online-only software (or iPad-only) is also ok.

The tasks I'd like it to handle is the basics:

- Track expenses
- Track expense dates
- Warn when expenses are past due
- Financial outlook
- Reporting tools
- Interest calculators

I'd like to get a birds eye view of all the usual household bills, personal bills and overall random expenses and compare them to income.

I'd also like to look at individual interest bearing expenses like loans and credit cards to see a payoff date at a particular payment and interest rate.

Just common tools to make me aware of how much is coming into the house and how much is going out with some useful extras like catagorization (how much spent on restaurants, gas, etc) and how much is paid in interest, etc etc.

Thanks for any tips and suggestions!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best household financial software?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best household financial software?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by ominster

Collapse -
Try the titles noted in this old article.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 19, 2012 9:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
Quicken now owns Mint?
by ominster / September 20, 2012 2:34 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply.

Very old article and I've seen all of those online but in a 2010 article on Cnet (which is why I posted here). They went over Mint in the new article and now when I go to Quicken and free online money management, I get to Mint haha. I guess they purchased it!

Mint it is! Thanks again!

Collapse -
Can't edit?
by ominster / September 20, 2012 3:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Quicken now owns Mint?

I guess you can't edit here or it has a time limit? Didn't want to repost but I did want to mention..

I tried Mint. I don't like that I need to immediately start giving them bank and credit card login data so they can auto-sync my information. I'd prefer a much more generic way of entering in expenses myself while specifying it's a credit card, entering the interest rate by hand and the current balance.

I don't trust them with my data, but I did try it. They didn't have 2 of the store credit cards I attempted to sync (large stores like Newegg Preferred Credit). They did have Dell though. I entered in 2 valid large credit card logins (Chase Bank, Barclay Card US) and it failed to log into either back end after several retries.

I think I'd avoid Mint. In fact if the next package I try asks me for login data, I'm just going to write my own online application for personal use. All I need is a balance sheet with some basic reporting, it shouldn't be this hard..

Collapse -
So why not the old spreadsheet?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2012 3:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't edit?

As to the forum, the reasons for editing is well discussed so I won't duplicate that. You may PREVIEW before posting.
Bob

Collapse -
Already do
by ominster / September 20, 2012 6:24 AM PDT

I already use a spreadsheet now. I want to use something that has more useful end of year reporting, built-in graphs and charts, suggestions, yada. All the home software seems to be <$100 so why not grab some? I'm not against paying at all.

The reason I wanted to edit it is I accepted the answer and then tried it out. I wanted to report back but no need to bump an answered post, an edit would do. I could have tested all the solutions and posted later but I'm used to most other forums, which just let you edit and frown upon double posting due to bumping.

Regardless I'm all ears if you have any applications to suggest.

Collapse -
Already shared the names.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2012 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Already do

Deciding which is best is what folk have to do. Many use Quicken and of course there will always be those that like and dislike it.
Bob

Collapse -
Understood
by ominster / September 20, 2012 11:24 PM PDT

I appreciate sharing the names of the software. I hope someone can share some experience with them as well. Trying out a half dozen products to see what does the tasks I mentioned is a little difficult, especially when they want private financial logins. I don't especially like giving trial software important information like that, which is why I came here for some experienced opinions.

Does Quicken handle the tasks I mentioned? I'm not self-employed so I don't really need anything as elaborate as managing a home business. Just strictly household/individual financial matters.

Thanks for tips!

Collapse -
I've used quicken in the past.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2012 10:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Understood

But went back to old filing methods later.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Best Household Financial Software
by aashikasmith / March 20, 2013 1:17 PM PDT

As of the 2013 Best Personal Finance Software Comparisons and Reviews, AceMoney is the best Quicken or Microsoft Money alternative financial software you can find, for Mac OS X or Windows. Manage accounts of different types in different currencies, track yor spending habits, record your expenses, or do on-line banking. You do not have to be an accountant to use it. It is so easy! Set your mind at ease by scheduling automatic backup.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.