TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Best HDTV for gaming and watching tv and movies?

by mackdaddy71 / May 1, 2006 12:26 PM PDT

I apologize if this has been posted before but I tried to search and found nothing. What I am wanting is an High Defifition big screen. Right now I have a Mitsubishi 65 HDTV w/ 1080i ready. It is a rear projection and is pretty big. I am wanting a newer TV capable of atleast 1080i if not 1080p. I play on my Xbox 360 reguarly. I am wanting a screen that is bright, good contrast, all around the best TV for my Xbox 360 and in the future my PS3. I am figuring the best tv for gaming will also be just as good for watching tv.

Thanks for the help,
Shaun

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best HDTV for gaming and watching tv and movies?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best HDTV for gaming and watching tv and movies?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
i WOULD NOT RISK IT
by stewart norrie / May 1, 2006 2:02 PM PDT

I believe your owners manual will warn you not to hook up to computors or vidio games. I have owned two hi-def t.v sets one was a 3 tube rear projector and my new one is a d.l.p. and both manuals gave the same warnings. A lot of folks do play games etc but I dont to have major problems good luck stewart

Collapse -
most will agree
by masterying01 / May 1, 2006 2:06 PM PDT

that the 60xbr1 sxrd tv from sony will be your best choice. dont get too caught up in the 1080p craze right now because there is still no true 1080p source....and 98% of the tv's out right NOW can not transfer a true 1080p signal through HDMI....they only upconvert. you will see little difference.

jvc's new line of lcos tv's are getting better and better...and i'd recommend that you check them out too.

Collapse -
1080p craze?
by the_iceman / May 1, 2006 3:48 PM PDT
In reply to: most will agree

It's not a craze, 1080p is the future HDTV standard, thus why the big price drops on the 720p/1080i sets. I'm guessing manufacturers will begin to start phasing out the older HDTVs in favor of the 1080p technology. Yes, the majority of TVs right NOW can not display 1080p that is because 1080p is a new technology and likewise new to the consumer market. Obviously the 1080p sets are more expensive than a 720p set, but as we all know the prices will fall. HD-DVD/Blu Ray (which are arriving now) both will be 1080p compliant...and those are definitely the future of home video players. There is even a new upconverting player from samsung that is supposedly capable of 1080p. Trust me everything will be 1080p in a few years. If you are in the market for a new HDTV I'd recommend getting a 1080p set w/ 2 HDMI outs.

Collapse -
Shaun...
by kena10 / May 2, 2006 3:45 PM PDT

For what your needs are, I highly recommend the KDSR60XBR1 from Sony. It has an input for vrtually anything you'd want to hook up to it. 2 HDMI inputs, 2 Components, 1 RGB for a pc signal, 2 firewire, S-Video and Composite as well. It also has a optical out.

I have that set and it kicks butt. Didn't have to tweak much out of the box and the picture is just amazing.

Hope this helps.

Jimmy

Collapse -
I've picked a TV
by mackdaddy71 / May 4, 2006 1:02 PM PDT

I have decided to go with the Mitsubishi WD-62528. I didn't know that a TV could support 1080p and not 1080i. Anyways I will be picking this TV up Saturday. I also narrowed my home theater system for it down to two choices either the Samsung HT WP38 or the Samsung HT P50. If I get the HT P50 it has 200 more watts of power but the HT WP38 has the wireless speakers and I don't like alot of wires showing. Anyways thanks everyone for the help.

Collapse -
PERSONALLY WOULD HAVE CHOSEN.............
by Riverledge / May 4, 2006 1:08 PM PDT
In reply to: I've picked a TV

THE SONY 60"XBR1, LCoS driven set.
Good watching,

river.

Collapse -
Limited choices
by mackdaddy71 / May 5, 2006 3:13 AM PDT

I was limited to few choices. I am buying the TV from a place called Aaron's.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.