Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Best Freeware DVD Ripper ??

by musicmad2000 / September 10, 2009 9:52 AM PDT

Hi

I'm looking for a good DVD Ripper (freeware) so i can convert video files to my MP4, can anyone recommend ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Freeware DVD Ripper ??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Freeware DVD Ripper ??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Handbrake.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2009 9:59 PM PDT

"Outputs:

* File format: MP4, MKV, AVI or OGM
* Video: MPEG-4, H.264, or Theora (1 or 2 passes or constant quantizer/rate encoding)
* Audio: AAC, MP3, Vorbis or AC-3 pass-through (supports encoding of several audio tracks)"

does other things too without costing a dime.
Bob

Collapse -
Handbrakes not a ripper
by musicmad2000 / September 11, 2009 8:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Handbrake.

I downloaded Handbrake but in the get started guide it said it was NOT A DVD RIPPER so what is it ???

Collapse -
Re: handbrake
by Kees Bakker / September 11, 2009 8:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
Is the MPAA following this thread?
by make_or_break / October 24, 2009 5:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: handbrake

Or the FBI? Never would've thought such advice would come from representatives of a CBS-pwned entity. Silly

Collapse -
by daslu / October 26, 2009 10:18 PM PDT

ooo... usefull info

Collapse -
Sure it's useful
by make_or_break / October 28, 2009 3:49 PM PDT
In reply to: ...

If the OP resides inside the U.S.

Like it or not, technically it's illegal under federal law to rip protected DVDs; there's no fair use legislation that gives anyone the legal right to do this. For someone who represents a MEDIA entity like CBS who itself has plenty of intellectual property covered under these same laws, I find it ironic (and somewhat sickly humorous) that a moderator would offer up obvious strategies that could circumvent this. Biting the hand that feeds, so to speak.

Collapse -
Free DVD Rippers
by Brent212 / September 29, 2009 4:54 AM PDT

DVD Decrypter has the best UI, IMO, but since development has been discontinued, some newer DVDs use some "tricks" that cause it to fail. In those cases, DVD Fab HD Decrypter has always done the trick for me, and if you only want to install one program, that's what I'd recommend.

As far as I know, the Windows version of Handbrake doesn't decrypt DVDs. Once you rip the DVDs with DVD Fab, however, you can open the resulting VIDEO_TS folder on your hard drive in Handbrake to convert it to an MP4.

Collapse -
freez dvd ripper
by arrew / October 20, 2009 1:22 PM PDT
Collapse -
Hanbreak is good for Mac users
by Vzardy / October 28, 2009 5:51 PM PDT

According to my experience, the Handbreak works fine on mu office Macbook, but not on my home desktop.

The DVD decrypter is good as a free ware, but no maintenance for years with limited output formats.

So my choice is Handbreak for my Macbook, and this spirit http://www.daniusoft.com/media-converter-ultimate.html#136 for my Windows 64 bit.

Cheers!

Collapse -
Free DVD Ripper
by Angel_zcy / January 11, 2010 11:46 AM PST

DVD Smith Movie backup is quite good and it is free.

Collapse -
Ta!
by thekitkatshuffler / February 13, 2010 8:10 AM PST
In reply to: Free DVD Ripper

That's just perfect. Thanks for the heads-up!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.