Windows 7 forum

General discussion

best free antivirus for windows7

by thehangdude / October 22, 2009 10:18 AM PDT

Just got a new laptop with Windows 7 for my son (18 yrs old).

I need to find a free firewall and anti-virus that will work together with Windows 7.

I can get free CA Security Suite with my internet connection. I am not thrilled with it, but it seems to do the job.

I look forward to hearing what advice you can give. thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: best free antivirus for windows7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: best free antivirus for windows7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First thing
by Jimmy Greystone / October 22, 2009 11:18 AM PDT

First thing to do, is get rid of this nonsense about there being a single best anything. There's not. There's best for the situation, or best for you, but there's no single best.

Win7 already has a firewall which is plenty for 99% of people, so don't waste time, money, or system resources on anything else without a specific need.

As for an AV program, take your pick between AVG Free, Avast, and Avira. Microsoft also has it's own virus scanner, which is free, though maybe a bit bare bones compared to the others. Not entirely sure if it's been released to the public yet or not, but someone here is bound to know.

Collapse -
Yep, Microsoft Security Essentials
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 23, 2009 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: First thing
Collapse -
I'm running Avast with W7
by Ol Rod / October 23, 2009 3:55 AM PDT

It seems to work nice for me, and does not seem to slow anything down.
I hear others prefer Avira, I just haven't tried that one.
I agree with Jimmy about firewall. I am running the security thing that comes with W7, and I feel safe. Of course there are places on the internet that I just do not go, the same as I do not linger in dark alleys late at night Happy

Collapse -
Comodo is a full security suite that
by orlbuckeye / October 23, 2009 5:39 AM PDT

is free for personal use. It was one of the first suites that was compatible with Windows 7. I myself use Norton 360 it provides protection and some nice tools although its not free.

Collapse -
Virus software for Windows 7
by babbleon / October 23, 2009 9:53 AM PDT

either AVAST, supports all Windows Platforms

Microsoft Windows Essentials (used to cost money is now free)

Collapse -
by tealcat / October 23, 2009 10:06 AM PDT

It's Microsoft Security Essentials. I've been using it since it was released as a beta version, snd I've switched to it for all6 of my systems. I recommend it to anyone for any windows version starting with XP and up.

Collapse -
Microsoft AV Protection for Win XP
by duhbrat1 / October 24, 2009 4:56 AM PDT
In reply to: MSSE

I see that you recommend the MSSE for XP and up. I have XP SP2, but it is a dinosaur system. I have been using AVG free AV. Also use
AD-Aware from Lavasoft. I've always heard that you should not have more than one AV program installed on your PC at once. What is your opinion on this? Can anyone possibly help me with this question?
Thank you

Collapse -
It's true
by Jimmy Greystone / October 24, 2009 5:24 AM PDT

It's true. Two AV programs on a single system can lead to all kinds of problems. Pick one you like, and stick with it.

Collapse -
Dark Places
by thehangdude / October 23, 2009 10:04 AM PDT

I am sure my boy will be going into the dark alleys of the internet. At least I have the Windows 7 disk to fix what he catches.

I guess the Windows firewall, and Avast will be good.
Maybe I'll suggest Microsoft Security Essentials.

Thank you all for prompt replies. Happy

Collapse -
by yanksguyinco / October 23, 2009 12:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Dark Places

I have a 14 year old boy who will also wander places he really shouldn't, mostly to do with games, but also other more salacious sites. I use AVG Free but am thinking of trying Microsoft Security Essential. No reason not to have both. I use Windows firewall and have stuck with it because it has worked, and Comodo drove me nuts. I have WOT installed and everybody at the house uses Firefox and knows to stay on the green sites. SpywareBlaster innoculates my machine and I've paid for the automatic updates. I don't remember how much, but it's not much. Malwarebytes checks any files downloaded.
So far (over a year now, knock on wood) no problems.
I have a AMD Phenom 2.2 quad core running Vista Ultimate with 4 gb of ram.

Collapse -
best free antivirus for windows7
by INDIANDEVIL / October 23, 2009 2:34 PM PDT

Collapse -
best anti virus for w 7
by hjg60 / October 23, 2009 3:04 PM PDT

i have a new pc with w7 and installed iobit 360.great program.
also have advanced system care works perfect.
you can download the programs for free.

cheers henk

Collapse -
The best free Antivirus for windows7?
by jororich / October 23, 2009 9:34 PM PDT

It is very hard to define the best. At the present though Windows Security Essentials. Windows own free security package is getting very good reviews. It is also very light on resources, you don't know it is there, working in the background.
I use it my self it is very good.

Collapse -
Best Free AV
by paulnzkiwi / October 24, 2009 8:28 AM PDT

Well IMHO all the free programs are worth the money you pay for them. I would leap at the offer of free car, life or house insurance, but then would they actual provide the protection I needed. It is no longer neccessary to go to the "dark alleys" of the net to attrack the dark side of the force. My recommendation is look at what you have to loose and spend $100 it's not much when you balance it against loss of finacial details, harvasting of your machine or identity.
As a user of the internet we should all take some responsibility for our behaviour. We would not drive on the highway if our cars were not fit and we didn't have insurance. Why do we allow users on the information superhighway who place others at risk.
One further point Anti-Virus no longer is enough. If you get infected you won't know, don't expect banners pronouncting your computer is "stoned" the idea is not to alert you but to silently siphon off your details or harvest your machine to attack others.
Please consider all the above and before you decide to choose "free" insurance

Collapse -
It's not the same
by Jimmy Greystone / October 24, 2009 9:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Best Free AV

It's not the same, and basically your entire post is a red herring.

Free AV products are generally designed to try and upsell people. You get the basic product free, and the hope is that they can convert you into a paying customer. But you're getting effectively the same virus detection engine as the paying customers. In the case of AVG, you just don't get some of the more advanced scheduling options, and you're relegated to a lower priority (bandwidth wise) update server. To me, they seem like very equitable trade offs. I think Avira tends to harass people every so often with some kind of a popup, and Avast makes you register 2-3X/year for the free version. Still seems more than fair to me for people who may be on a budget.

And what about free after rebate solutions? According to your line of reasoning, those should be worthless to. Yet Fry's regularly has Kaspersky, McAfee, and Norton on free after rebate deals.

Malware is a whole other class of threat, that isn't a virus, worm, or trojan, so it really outside the realm of most AV programs. Faulting them for not picking up things that are beyond their scope of function is kind of like blaming a car for not being a spaceship.

Collapse -
by jean harrington / October 24, 2009 10:52 AM PDT
In reply to: It's not the same

Most of my problems come from hackers on my browser.
On nyt site, of all things.
I notice last week and this,
nyt has done away with 'replies'.
Even replies,
such as 'we got your message
and will respond'.

Collapse -
OK................I NEED MAJOR HELP!!!
by donaldscurry / October 29, 2009 4:23 AM PDT

i dont where i got it from, but i got this nasty virus, spyware, trojan....whatever it is! and i tried several anti programs to get rid of it.....but its still there! i dont know what to do. everytime i begin to type anything it pops up with a search results window, flickering constantly. when i cancel this out, it drops a 1-line window down and and catch any letter that i type there. it will continue to catch letters there until i highlight it, hit backspace.....then i have to click the mouse cursor to where i was typing again and gain and again and.....well u get the idea! i tried avg, avast, spy doctor and spybot.....with no positive results except the programs will catch and delete other infections which i didnt think i had. i need some serious search & destroy......HELLLP!

Collapse -
Two things
by Jimmy Greystone / October 29, 2009 5:25 AM PDT

Two things:

1: It's rude to hijack someone else's thread for your problem

2: There's a virus and security forum which might be better suited to helping you

Collapse -
Then what
by mountain8 / October 30, 2009 6:22 AM PDT

I believe you get what you pay for, and you do make good points, but you didn't mention any names. What do you use and does it do all the things you list?

Collapse -
These I find the best...
by morrie 52 / November 3, 2009 8:22 PM PST

I am using Avira A/V with the Sphinx firewall,and IOBit 360 for spyware and Spybot search and destroy with Spywareblaster.All these are running very well and integrated on my 512mb's system

Collapse -
You may want to reconsider
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 4, 2009 2:00 AM PST
Collapse -
by jeff_windows_team / November 4, 2009 3:09 AM PST
Collapse -
best free antivirus for window 7
by mychao / December 4, 2009 12:33 AM PST

best free antivirus for window 7 is Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) if you running real copy of windows.

Collapse -
Antivirus for Windows7
by Just1MoreUser / November 6, 2010 11:26 PM PDT

My new Dell 14R inspiron came with 30 days free McAfee- which did not protect me from the virus "Security Tool" & I was "infected" 2 days before my subscription expired. Thanks to someone on the CNet blog, after working 3 hrs trying to rid myself of the virus, I was directed to download, save and run free software as follows:
Malwarebytes Anti-malware
Avast Free - Antivirus
They (not McAfee) did the trick- Afterwards, I saw that Avast was pretty well rated for Windows7 and that the software loaded in on Verizon/Microsoft does a reasonable job.. and there has been no slow-down in processing. One week later: so far so good.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.