TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

BEST flat screen TV in the 40"-48" range

by RFlorio / October 19, 2006 11:11 PM PDT

OK, I've been reading up on this site on the pros and cons of LCD vrs. Plasma and I don't want this to get into that debate AGAIN.

My parents just moved into a new condo and are looking to get a flat TV to put up on their wall above a fireplace (gas) that they probably will never use (fireplace that is). They would like to get the biggest set that they can fit into that space (if I remember right it is 48"-50" wide), price is not an option. They WON"T be hooking up a receiver with external speakers or anything fancy they just want the BEST TV with the BEST picture that will last.
Veiwing angle wil probably not come into play as the way the wall is set up it is on an angle and can be seen from just about everywhere in the room. They will play DVD's and watch TV, that is about it.
They were looking at the Sony Bravia model # KDF-40S20L1 at Sam's club $1,900. Now when I search this site, I can't even find that model number, is this an old model?????

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ALL YOUR HELP,

Ralph

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BEST flat screen TV in the 40"-48" range
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BEST flat screen TV in the 40"-48" range
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sony Bravia model # KDF-40S20L1
by jcrobso / October 20, 2006 12:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
SONY IS MANUFACTURING SOME (4) GREAT 46" LCD'S.............
by Riverledge / October 21, 2006 7:56 AM PDT
Collapse -
I agree...Sony XBR2
by Dan Filice / October 21, 2006 8:17 AM PDT

The Sony XBR line has always been better than the Bravia. I know, it's confusing because the XBR also says Bravia, but the plain Bravia ISN'T an XBR. Anyways, the new XBR2 has received rave reviews here on CNET and other review websites. I read that it even comes with a spare bulb (worth $250). The 46" and 50" and up are very expensive, but you said price wasn't an issue. The reviews here mention that the SXRD Sony's have slightly better blacks, but the XBR was given better overall color reproduction, especially in the difficult greens. I love the "floating" screen look on some of the new sets. And, the new XBRs are 1080p. The Bravia you looked at over at Sam's Club was the 720P set. If you wanted to buy that 720p set, I would recommed the 720p XBR Bravia, which has the better video engine. I had the pleasure of installing both the 720p Bravia and XBR sets, and the XBR, to me, had a better picture.

Collapse -
Be careful!
by oldscubaguy / December 10, 2006 8:53 AM PST
In reply to: I agree...Sony XBR2
Collapse -
sony kdl xbr2
by badkarmamahn / October 21, 2006 8:24 AM PDT

if money really is not a factor, then the new sony flat panel kdl xbr2/3 series would be the best LCD picture. problem: no split screen/PiP. JMHO

Collapse -
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP
by RFlorio / October 24, 2006 1:40 AM PDT
In reply to: sony kdl xbr2

They are going to get the Sony XBR 46", now all I have to do is find them the best deal.

THANKS AGAIN,

Ralph

Collapse -
GREAT CHOICE......SONY 46 " XBR 2........... CONGRATS.....
by Riverledge / October 24, 2006 10:53 AM PDT

BEAUTIFUL set. Take the time to tweek it, and you'll be happy for a long time.

Best watching, river.

Collapse -
HDTV or SDTV ??
by NewsyL / October 24, 2006 4:20 AM PDT

So are they going to subscribe to a HDTV/Digital service with a converter or will most of their viewing be of legacy SDTV over the set's built in QAM tuner? Or will they be sourcing OTA?

Most LCD's I viewed did a very poor job with SDTV. I haven't seen the new XBR's as yet but I was not impressed by the original XBR's abilities with SDTV.

Collapse -
SORRY, BUT MOST MANUFACTURERS COULD CARE LESS...............
by Riverledge / October 24, 2006 10:44 AM PDT
In reply to: HDTV or SDTV ??

ABOUT SDTV at this point with federal regulations (FCC) mandatory HDTV by 2009. This just does not seem to be a priorty for them. Loss leader in technology.

river.

Collapse -
Thats not the point.
by NewsyL / October 24, 2006 3:25 PM PDT

My point was to determine what his parents are going to be watching when they're not watching DVD's.

Some TV's today handle SDTV much better than others and if that is what his parents are going to watch mostly until 2009 then they are going to be pretty unhappy with a lot of what they watch for the next 3 years. Happy

I wouldn't want to be in his shoes if they end up thinking he made the wrong decision. I don't know how old his parents are but if they're like mine they might spend $4000 for a new set but not want to spend the extra $40/month for HDTV/Digital service. Three years is a long time listening to Ma & Pa natter on about the crummy picture. Wink

Collapse -
viewing
by timetogolf / October 24, 2006 10:59 AM PDT

One thing to check before you make the final decision is the viewing height. Above a fire place will typically be a higher angle than you view the set in the store. Estimate the center point of the set above the fireplace and measure that from the sitting height and then try to view one in a store at that height. We have a mantel over our fireplace and the viewing angle is not acceptable to me. Something to think about.

Collapse -
extra $$$$$ for hdtv
by RFlorio / October 25, 2006 6:05 AM PDT
In reply to: viewing

I'm pretty sure they are just going to get Comcast and watch normal TV, and YES..........my parents are older and like yours, will probably not want to dish out the extra $$$$$$ per month.

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE.

Ralph

Collapse -
Hi-Def is useless for watching only s.d. programming
by stewart norrie / October 25, 2006 10:17 AM PDT
In reply to: extra $$$$$ for hdtv

Your better off buying a $100 Walmard special its like buying a new car and not wanting to put gas in it YOU MUST FEED IT FROM A HI-DEF SOURCE, SATELLITE OR CABLE , usually you cable co will give you a hi-def upgrade for a free or small fee and the hi-def package is about $10.00 per month and well worth it. unless you feed its going to look like crap steweeee dont be so cheap

Collapse -
Panasonic 42" is the one
by jeroethel / October 27, 2006 10:19 PM PDT

Price range around 2100. I've had one for about a year and it is a great TV. Get a HD DVR from your cable company for $10 per month and you can watch all the HD you can handle. If you get Discovery HD, you can even watch the sunrise every morning from different world locations.

Collapse -
mounting the tv
by johnam12 / February 13, 2014 5:12 AM PST

where you mount your flat screen tv plays a major part in how the air circulates thru the television from the
bottom of the television to the top of the television. It sounds as if you are mounting it fairly high over the fire place. This means the television will have an over heating problem that will reduce the life span of the television in question.

To prevent any type of over heating of the electronics I would recommend using a cooling system, the whole thing runs off house current, a thermostat - on at 90 and off at 88 degees.

I had the same problem until i found the cooling system on line - super easy install, only 3 pieces not counting the fan. I expect this doubled the life of my television, the picture is better, the bracket keeps the dirt out of the inside of the tv and my son has tried to ruin the picture by burning in a scene for his play station 3. After 1 year - no burn in and the picture is great.

i don't recall the actually address but if you search fstefan cooling system you should find it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.