How To forum

Resolved Question

Best film scanners?

by nnebelsick / April 7, 2012 8:14 AM PDT

Looking for the very best film scanner with the software to back it up. . I am looking for an auto feed option.

nnebelsick has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best film scanners?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best film scanners?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by nnebelsick

Collapse -
This is the most highly recommended brand I know of
by Steven Haninger / April 7, 2012 9:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Best film scanners?
Collapse -
I have seen these
by nnebelsick / April 7, 2012 1:09 PM PDT

Im looking for an auto feed feature, and these are out dated to work with current computers. I would like to go with a Nikon, but they are all used and for the price its hard to trust a used one.

Collapse -
You didn't mention the format so I went generic
by Steven Haninger / April 7, 2012 8:35 PM PDT
In reply to: I have seen these

I'll presume 35mm to the old 120 and 620 formats. You said you wanted the very best so I'm presuming price is no barrier. As well, if you use multiple formats, getting the very best means a scanner for each format. In that case, you look for such that professionals would buy for their business use. Most of these scanners aren't used by those individuals for their own photography work but to offer scanning services for sale. Of course you know that there's no such thing as a scanner that can do justice to film emulsions which capture information at the level of molecules rather than pixels. Never will a digitized image made by a scanner capture all of the information on a film frame either. With that said, I might recommend you take this to some professional photography forum rather than technology ones. I'll recommend a decent web site by a person named Ken Rockwell. You can google his name, find his site, give more details as to your goals and see if he can steer you in the right direction. Good luck.

Collapse -
Thanks for your help
by nnebelsick / April 8, 2012 3:02 AM PDT

I ended up picking
Epson Perfection V750-M Pro Scanner
Just because it can be used for multi formats and has two lenses for different applications.

Im going to try it out and if I ont like it send it back!

Collapse -
Ok, so you went flatbed with adapter
by Steven Haninger / April 8, 2012 7:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for your help

I've a V600 and have used it for film negatives and color slides. It's not good for heavy production work but I've found it's LED light source and digital ICE w/infra red to do a very decent job compared to my old HP scanner with adapter. I've done hundreds of negatives and slides. It's labor intensive but works fine for my purposes. It may not be your ideal but hopefully will work out.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.