PC Hardware forum

General discussion

best external hdd?

by Frank Wryte / August 13, 2006 2:58 PM PDT

looking for ext. hdd for backup. would need abt. 100 gig. ty.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: best external hdd?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: best external hdd?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) add info: usb2.0
by Frank Wryte / August 13, 2006 3:26 PM PDT
In reply to: best external hdd?
Collapse -
I built my own, , ,
by Coryphaeus / August 13, 2006 11:59 PM PDT
Collapse -
built my own computer, but
by Frank Wryte / August 26, 2006 10:04 PM PDT
In reply to: I built my own, , ,

wonder if it's safe to do what you rcmnd. also, is it dfclt?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2006 12:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
Best external hard drive
by bobweb / August 17, 2006 11:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Mine.

First by manufacturer: Seagate who just acquired Maxtor. Seagate has newest high density technology, flash memory and reputation. If you have a LAN, I'd make sure that the drive had a 10/100 Mbps ethernet interface as well as a USB 2.0 interface. Then it can have it's own IP address and web server to function as a network attached storage for backups and large file storage.

Collapse -
Consider more space
by ekent / August 18, 2006 12:54 AM PDT

By waiting for sales and sending in those rebates, I've picked up a couple 250-gigabyte Acomdata hard drives from a chain computer store for $100 each. They're available in USB, Firewire and both. I don't stack them because they generate a bit of heat. But over nine months they've been solidly reliable. You just have to remember to shut down the USB 'safely remove hardware' function before hitting the on-off switch.

I would definitely consider an external hard drive with more than 100 gigabytes because it won't cost you a lot more and you'll be surprised how fast you'll get spoiled with all that extra elbow room.

Collapse -
NAS All the Way
by Gary Lee / August 18, 2006 2:05 AM PDT

I use a Buffalo Linkstation on my wireless network. What a dream for backing up and accessing files. Then, few files are kept on my hard drive, making fresh installs much easier. I even include application setup files on the Linkstation if I need them.

Collapse -
Love my NAS, hate my NAS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 18, 2006 2:08 AM PDT
In reply to: NAS All the Way

My NAS is nice but on the 100 megabit ethernet is still annoyingly slow. Can't wait to see when we get this LAN to 1Gb.

Collapse -
what's nas?
by Frank Wryte / August 26, 2006 10:01 PM PDT
In reply to: NAS All the Way

ain't gonna go networking so no need for advanced stuff.

Collapse -
They are so cheap now - buy yourself more than one.
by teamw / August 18, 2006 2:26 AM PDT

I just picked up a Western Digital My Book 160g for $80 on sale at Best Buy. If you are only looking at a 100gigs - just buy two of these cheap drives, and take one to your office or leave it at a friend's house. Keep another one on hand for regular backups, but squirrel away another copy of your most important files somewhere else (your pictures, your music library, your tax records etc.)

You can lose your digital data a couple of different ways:

Your hard drive dies.
You have a fire, flood or some other calamity like that.
Lightening hits the power pole near your house and fries everything electronic connected to the grid in your house.
You get robbed.

Only in the first of these scenarios does having a backup HDD sitting on your desk and somehow connected to your computer or home network help you out.

Collapse -
External HDD for video editing
by compusolver / August 18, 2006 6:45 AM PDT

I'm using a CoolMax case with firewire connection for my Maxtor 300gig SATA 1 harddrive. It only runs about half the speed of my internal Sata 1 drives, but is fast enough for video editing, which is what I wanted.

This case also has USB 2.0 and SATA connections which I haven't tried.

Do go for more than 100gigs. With the price of HDs as low as they are today and with backup needs growing exponentially every year, you won't regret having the extra space.

Collapse -
any major mfr external drive is good
by clayw1pi / August 18, 2006 2:40 PM PDT

If you buy a pre-made external drive, any major mfr will be good -- Maxtor, Western Digital, etc. The differences are so subtle in consumer-grade products, it's splitting hairs to compare them.

If you make your own by buying a hard drive and a separate enclosure, be careful. #1, make sure the enclosure has a fan if the drive will be on for more than several hours at a time. #2, make sure the hard drive is designed for back-up. Many drives are not built to handle sudden, mass bursts of data on a regular basis as most hard drives read and write small amounts.

Either way you go, I'd definitely recommend getting some type of network connectivity if you happen to be running a home network. Also, go bigger than 100gb -- that's chump change these days and you can get a 250gb for so little.

Alternatively, you could always switch to Mac and subscribe to iDisk. Happy

Collapse -
just bought a LaCie
by bawilley / August 18, 2006 4:36 PM PDT

I went to a major computer store recently looking for an external HD for my tablet PC. Although I could not get a salesperson's attention, 2 fellow customers steered me to LaCie external hard drives.

Both gentlemen were IT director's for their companies. The first man, "Dave," said he had "a few dozen" Lacies for his company's it system. Dave said thatit performs really well and that he has not had any trouble. Since he knew I was not a techie, he assured me it would be very easy to use. After Dave walked away--and as I remained to compare prices with other brands--a totally different customer came up and noticed the Lacie box in my hand. He assured me I would be pleased with my purchase. He not only buys them for his work, he also uses them at home. "Dont bother comparing prices," he tells me, "it's a good deal. You'll be happy you got it.""

So far, the have both been right; it is easy to use, and I am happy with my purchase.

I got the Lacie 250

Collapse -
Hard Drives
by MJM573 / August 24, 2006 11:43 PM PDT

I just bought a Western Digital My Book 160 GB Hard-Drive. It's awesome even thought it comes in FAT32 format as a default. I'm still debating wheather or not to change it NTFS or leave it as is. Anywho it is awesome just plug it in and let it rip. I got it on sale from Best Buy for 90 bucks.I would recommend it highly.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.