Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Best DVD burning/editing software?

by Mark T / December 1, 2004 6:38 AM PST

Can I open a thread about the best editing/burning software?
I am collecting together my old home videos and DVDs created in my home DVD recorder, editing and compressing them and re-burning nice clean copies with menus/chapters etc etc.
I have been struggling with Nerovision 3 which has excellent importing/editing/chapter/cutting/merging facilites but keeps bombing out while going the (erm...rather important!) final process of transcoding/burning. Nero support has not replied to me.
I have a shiny new Vaio laptop (1.7 Centrino, 512RAM, Matshita -RW drive) XP SP2, and EVERY driver/soft/firmware update going. I have tried different discs without improvement.

I am assuming that Nero is just cr*p (their website say that their latest versions are OK with SP2)

What alternatives are there?

tks to all
Mark

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best DVD burning/editing software?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best DVD burning/editing software?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Best DVD burning/editing software?
by timwerx / December 1, 2004 9:45 AM PST

I have used Ulead Video Studio and Ulead DVD Movie Factory with much success.

Also, be sure to "optimize" your PC by turning off ALL programs irrelevant to video encoding.

Collapse -
by Mark T / December 1, 2004 8:33 PM PST

I have several packages installed, but they are all off. I've only been doing this DVD authoring thing for about 3 months but with a gigantic lack of success and I consider myself fairly savvy on PCs.

Could you tell me what your failure rate is? In other words when you start a project (copy/backup/editing or whatever) how many times do yu get a useable DVD at the end of the process? I am currently at less than 5pct with Nero, which even by old time PC standards is ... cra*p...

tks
Mark

Collapse -
Success Rate
by timwerx / January 4, 2005 6:06 PM PST
Collapse -
tips for Nero Vision express
by pdrayton / January 15, 2005 12:59 AM PST

When using nero vision express, I write the rendered files to a hard disk folder so that if the burning fails I can just open burning rom and burn the disc again. Saves re transcoding and all that.

Collapse -
"Best" is not a good idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2004 9:46 AM PST

Can we instead share what we use?

At what cost?

For instance, I find the following to be find for what I need and the price is not hundreds of dollars. Some came with my DVD recorders.

The free stuff.

1. Virtual Dub.
2. Irfanview.
3. The GIMP.
4. The free codec of DIVX.

The pay stuff.

5. Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2.
6. Ulead's other editors.
7. MyDVD (rarely use it), but it's on the machine from the DVD recorder.

If you want "best", then you burn up a credit card for AVID and Adobe Premiere.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: "Best" is not a good idea.
by Mark T / December 1, 2004 8:24 PM PST

Tks Bob. Yep - 'Best' is a bit silly in software terms.

It's reliability that I'm really after. Spending 1 hour editing/menu building etc and then having the program bomb when transcoding/burning the project at the end is very very annoying...
I checked out your recommendations: $700 for Adobe Premiere (gulp!) and people say Avid needs 30hrs of training!!!

I'm off to try Ulead since it's also well rated elsewhere.

Anyone else having problems with the latest Nero suite on XP SP2?

Mark

Collapse -
Bomb on transcoding.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2004 9:44 PM PST

That's usually a sign...

Try this. Leave the PC case cover off. Some machines burp when the CPU is busy for long periods. Other software usually doesn't cure this issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Bomb on transcoding.
by Mark T / December 2, 2004 5:30 AM PST
In reply to: Bomb on transcoding.

Interesting idea Bob, but I'm using a laptop. Maybe I'll transcode from inside my refrigerator!

Seriously though it's a 1.7Mhz Centrino - do you think that more power (pentium 2.4 or better) would give more reliability?

I sent Nero a detailed and considerate reminder - they still haven't replied...I hate that!!

Mark

Collapse -
There are laptop cooling pads.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2004 5:55 AM PST

Even my old P3-600 does warm up during a transcoding, but never crashes and I've used many such softwares.

Transcoding keeps the CPU very busy so if a machine is heat sensitive, this and games will reveal the issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Bomb on transcoding.
by EricTheO / December 10, 2004 6:26 PM PST

Now don't laugh.... I'm currently using Pinnacle Studio v.9.0 Plus. It serves my purposes for now and fits my pocketbook. If I had my druthers, I would go for Vegas+DVD Authoring. I wish that Cool Edit Pro was part of Vegas, but they are now part of Adobe.

Collapse -
Re: "Best" is not a good idea. (alternatives vs. Nero)
by prizmeye / December 14, 2004 3:42 AM PST

The latest Nero (v6.6.x, FULL edition as of this writing) is KILLING ME. I'm using WinXP Pro SP1a, and it's a BUG FARM. No wonder it was a "good deal" after rebate!

Collapse -
Capture cards
by Cycleman / December 9, 2004 4:13 AM PST

Bob, would you please recommend a capture card? I'm inclined to the ULead product line.

Thanks.

Al

Collapse -
Re: Capture cards for analog?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2004 5:02 AM PST
In reply to: Capture cards

The ATI or Hauppauge USB 2.0 cards are readily available for NTSC/PAL capture.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Capture cards for analog? Yes...
by Cycleman / December 9, 2004 7:18 AM PST

Yes, for analog, since I have the digital one in place. Thanks much.

Al

Collapse -
Best
by jcrobso / December 29, 2004 1:43 AM PST

Lots of very good info in all of the replies. XP has Movie Maker2 built in it has alot features is easy to use
and you would have buy the $99 Pinicial 9 to get better results. The Best in anything is alwise a moving target.
The learning curve on Pro software is steep if you just want edit you home movies. So try the Free stuff first. John

Collapse -
"BEST IS NOT GOOD IDEA"
by SolitaryMan422 / August 6, 2005 2:28 AM PDT

I didn't see anyone list "Roxio easy media creator 7.5"
How would you rate this program?
Thanks, web86

Collapse -
"Roxio easy media creator 7.5"
by jcrobso / August 8, 2005 3:32 AM PDT

I have Videowave 7 I have used it, but I realy like Videowave 5.
Videowave 5 was a nice compromise between easy to use and ability to do special editing effects. John

Collapse -
I rate it "poor" or "first effort."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2005 4:27 AM PDT

Sony Vegas is top notch, not expensive compared to its peers. Consumer grade such may be from Ulead.com with demos so you can try before you buy.

Nero Roxio are their first efforts and if you were in my shoes you might even write "don't bother."

Bob

Collapse -
ROXIO IS BAD
by UnionsRPasse / April 2, 2013 11:18 AM PDT

The old Roxio worked well enough, but the newer 2010 and 2012 versions will drive you bat crap insane to try and get to work with Windows to burn a DVD...and Roxio/Corel tech support is crickets.

Collapse -
Having used both Premier Pro and Vegas, I think
by Kiddpeat / December 1, 2004 11:20 AM PST

Vegas is the more powerful product. It also tends to hang, so I reboot the machine before a major operation like burning or long captures. I've heard Avid is good also.

Collapse -
Re: Having used both Premier Pro and Vegas, I think
by Mark T / December 1, 2004 8:35 PM PST

Tks Kidd.

I'll check out Vegas but your words 'tends to hang' is not really where I want to go. Avid seems to have a very steep learning curve.

Mark

Collapse -
by Jman257 / December 2, 2004 4:58 AM PST

I have used Vegas + DVD for a great while now. I researched thoroughly before purchasing a software suite to fit my needs of 1). Creating tribute videos using photos 2). Capturing video from my camcorder and making menu-based DVDs. 3). Recoding avi, wmv, or other files to Mpeg or vica versa. It works great and I have never had any stability or hanging issues.

Collapse -
by Mark T / December 2, 2004 5:23 AM PST

Thanks. That's just what I need to know. I'll give it a try.

Cheers
Mark

Collapse -
by Oil_Tan / December 2, 2004 11:26 AM PST

Hello Mark,
With nero 6.6
1. turn off overburn for dvd or cd.
2. encode the files to disk, then burn after thats completed. Use the drop down to put file.
3. Dont select the burn at once.
4. Choose best quality options.
5. Burn at 2 speed, see how this works.
6. I always transfer files when encoding to harddrive on other ide cable, so info flows one way hopefully, no frame loss. UDMA is on!!!
7. Turn off any applications running besides the video software.

Collapse -
by mikebosy / December 11, 2004 8:16 PM PST

Hi Mark T
I swear by Pinnacle Studio 9 and Ulead Video Studio 8. In the past year I have produced over 200 movies from my dig.camcorder and transfering my VHS tapes to DVD. Using Dazzle DVC 80 to transfer VHS to digital, I Edit and Make Movie with Pinnacle, then burn to DVD with menus and chapters by using Ulead VideoStudio 8.
My PC spec is Athlon 2.4Ghz, 1024RAM, Matshita -RW drive and XP SP2.
Mike

Collapse -
by anievestor / December 12, 2004 10:15 PM PST

On the subject of capture cards the Dazzle DVC 80 is good for 320 X 480 or less. what a surprise when I tried to capture something from my DVR onto my laptop and the video looked really bad! In doing more research I quickly learned that to get the resolution I needed I needed to get another capture device. After searching I ended up with Dazzle again but this time with the Dazzle 150B (usb 2.0). In short great results a it also has a built in real time encoder that will capture directly to MPG 2 9eliminating the need to do the transfer from AVI to MPG later). In short the video tunred out great.

In terms of software I have used all the ones listed in the previous emailed with the addition to VideoDeluxe (a bit outdated but still good for other specialized video) and VideoWave. What I have learned is take all have something different and special making them good for certain parts of the jobs and NOT good for others.

In recent months I have been using more Videowave (latest version) and it has worked well. What you have to understand is that you need to do extensive tweaking of the system they are runned at until you get the final product. I have heard many stories just like this one and there iss the other stories where the user using the same software are happy about the results. Advise do everything from defrag the harddrive and eliminate any unwanted software, if you have a broadband connection to the INTERNET and using any IM shut it down and also any other software that might want to wrestle with the much need CPU cycles needed to produce what you want. 1.2Gz is not bad. If you have 1.0Gb of RAM even better. Goning to a faster CPU would certainly help.

Tony

Collapse -
Best DVD burning/editing software
by philhow1 / December 14, 2004 6:21 AM PST

Mike,
I also use Studio 9. I have burned many movies to DVD using Studio, and they all seemed to skip at times when played back on my home DVD player. I thought it was the DVD player, although it plays store bought DVD's fine. I am using DVD+R's. We made some movies for our friends and they also skip at times. Could it possibly be the DVD burner or are there different quality DVD's that may make a difference. I am new to DVD burning and any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Collapse -
philhow1, try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2004 9:25 AM PST

Go get DVDSHRINK and duplicate that DVD. DO NOT PUT A LABEL on the DVD and don't use DVDRW media.

If your DVD will play recorded DVD media, I've found this program will re-encode the DVD and fix up what the DVD creation software may have missed up...

Bob

Collapse -
re: dvd burning software
by philhow1 / December 16, 2004 5:31 AM PST
In reply to: philhow1, try this.

Thank you, I will download and try. Any specific reason not to use DVDRW discs, I had purchased some(Verbatim brand) in the past and used them to compare to the KHypermedia DVD+R's I have. Do you think different brand DVD's will also make a difference?

Collapse -
Yes. Try DVDRW, but...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2004 5:43 AM PST

The RW media isn't as accepted by as many DVD players as you wish. The -R and +R seems to work better and if the media is the least bit more transparent than some, a label can cause issues.

Since DVDRW is reusable, try it...

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.