Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

best dsl wireless modem/router combo

by williamian / July 1, 2009 4:00 PM PDT

I have a craptastic westell 327w dsl wireless modem/router combo from bellsouth now att and want some thing faster, more range and more stable.

Any ideas.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: best dsl wireless modem/router combo
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: best dsl wireless modem/router combo
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How's this . . .
by Coryphaeus / July 1, 2009 10:19 PM PDT

Faster depends on your ISP, not the modem/router. Since you didn't mention if you wanted faster wired speed or wireless speed. . .

Range is dependent on the wireless flavor; B, G, or N. Back to the second sentence.

Stable is also relative. Stable as in how? Wired or wireless?

Tell us more about your current setup.

Collapse -
I need help with my wireless connection, PSP, DSI, etc.
by IamMorges / July 2, 2009 11:19 AM PDT
In reply to: How's this . . .

Hi, I have a Sony Vaio slim pc Model #: VGC-LS25E, I have Verizon DSL with a Westell 327W modem, I have AOL as my email preference. The sony vaio manual states that it has wired and wireless ethernet, but I was not able to set up my sons' PSP or DSI for wifi connectivity, so I purchased a Netgear router. After following the instructions with the Set up wizard I am not able to establish a connection to the DSI. How can I set up the wirless connection with or without the Netgear router? How can I just set up my computer to have the original programs I purchased and start from scratch. My speed is not so great, I believe I have too many non-used programs running? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Non-gamer mom for gamer kid.

Collapse -
I know this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2009 11:25 AM PDT

However the setup is ADVANCED user type stuff.

The PSP, DSI may not support WPA so in this case we use POST #17 in this forums TOP WELCOME or STICKY post. Remember you are not in your own discussion so I must be brief.

Using POST 17 from our forum sticky we could use WEP which is likely compatible with the PSP, DSI and since we are using POST 17 we could turn the power off to the Netgear and leave the 327w as-is for WPA connections.

Post in our Computer Help forum about your Sony issues.
Post a NEW discussion in this forum if you want to discuss POST 17's setups. Remember this is ADVANCED networking so not everyone will be able to get this done.

Collapse -
dsl wireless modem/Router combo
by williamian / July 2, 2009 12:40 PM PDT
In reply to: How's this . . .

1. Faster wired.
2. Whatever has the longest strong singal range.
3. Both. I use a wired connection for my 2 main computers and wireless for my Ipod or when i am moving around the house with a laptop. Loss of wirless or weak singal due to range and what seems like very unstable or slow singal from wired.
4.I have AT&T fastaccess DSL EXTREME and any time there is a problem they say it is not on their end.
5. Windows Vista premium, 2.2gz AMD rig.
6. Is there a better dsl wireless modem/Router combo.

Collapse -
Just one idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2009 12:49 PM PDT

Is it setup per our forum sticky.

Collapse -
My neighbor called that model in
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2009 11:26 PM PDT

And they replaced it with a "Gateway Actiontec" model that is working fine. The 327w did work fine but after a year began to be trouble. Call them and have your DSL provider swap in another one.

Cost? Zero. Why would you want to buy something that can be zapped!

Collapse -
separate but equal
by philbernie / July 2, 2009 2:15 AM PDT

Common now to have combo, but have you thought about separate devices? If you had to change to a newer router later on, you can do it. Cable and DSL modems don't change very much, but standard for routers seem to be changing more often. "N" today and who knows, "Y" tomorrow whose signal can penetrate the "gold vault" at Knox. You do have more wires to contend with. From an aesthetic point, combo looks a lot neater. Nevertheless, I would def go "N".

You're asking for the best. Do you mean the meanest and most expensive combo you can buy? That shouldn't too difficult to find. Personally, I think if you can find a device that fits your needs, buy that product. No need for overkill, 'cuz as you know, technology is moving quickly. Save your money so you can buy newer stuff in a couple of years. Fund your retirement instead so that people like the Madoff and Stanford of the world can enjoy themselves now. Sorry, I digress. Anyway, think of how many of your friends wanted to buy the latest tech or get the top of the line computer because it lets you do everything only to use it as paperweight in a couple of years. Hmmmm, pet peeve.

Lastly, if your leasing your modem from your provider, by all means, buy your own stuff.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.