Laptops forum

General discussion

Best display on a notebook?

by BradMacPro / September 21, 2005 3:02 PM PDT

I see pretty poor vertical and horizontal viewable angles on Dell's models. I don't see these specs for Apple's usually great displays. Anybody got good opinion on best display for non-gamer? Mac or PC. Price no object. Seriously.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best display on a notebook?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best display on a notebook?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re
by stewart6 / September 21, 2005 3:32 PM PDT

Hi. Notebooks are generally not viewed obliquely so the problem of angular fall off is not as much an issue as with large screen LCD TV displays. However there are differences in viewing angles of different makes of notebooks. The problem is not so marked since the introduction of backlit displays but there are still differences. I haven't done a scientific study to determine the best although I like and use Toshibas
I guess as in other things check several out at your local Futureshop and see what looks best to you. Good luck Stewart

Collapse -
Try
by jas0nhe / September 23, 2005 7:06 AM PDT
Brightview (HP), TruBrite (Toshiba), TrueLIfe (Dell), etc. are displays with a glossy coating on them to increase the amount of color that can be seen at larger viewing angles.

However, colors are always the best on a laptop at a small viewing angle. If you need to present something, use a projector.
Collapse -
its very subjective...
by servechilled / September 25, 2005 3:00 PM PDT

This is a pretty subjective question but the best thing to do is go out and see first hand. I own a compaq with a brightview screen and its really good. Good brightness, colours, and viewing angles.

Collapse -
Sony looks real good
by togus / September 25, 2005 11:23 PM PDT

Side by side at Best Buy, Sony screens seems bright, crisp and appealing to me. Sony has an option on some machines that allow you to choose 2 lamps to illuminate the screen (as opposed to the standard 1 lamp)...extra battery drain but very nice. I've heard that the new Fujitsu screens are also very nice.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.