Cameras

General discussion

best digital camera for pictures and video?

by hozro / February 19, 2006 8:35 PM PST

Hey, thanks for reading, i was wondering if someone can help me out. I dont know alot about cameras so help would GREATLY be appreciated. ive been doing ALOT of research of what digital camera i should get but cant decide. ive been lookin at the Sony Cyber Shot DSC-M1 (http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_Cyber_Shot_DSC_M1/4505-6501_7-31117284.html?tag=pdtl-list). seems really good and im tryin to spend 400 or less, maybe just a little more. This will be my first camera.

ill be using this just to take everyday pictures and videos like me, my girlfriend, family, friends, nothing like a Movie in hollywood. I do want the video quality to be good(more than average digital cameras), not pixelated and rough, same with the picture quality.

i definitley wont be using all the extra features a Canon S620 has, but just simple stuff like nightmode, outdoor, etc. Im also looking for something compact.

Im looking for proffesional suggestions, im not looking to be criticized about my knowledge and this post. Let me know what you think about the camera, or what camera suites me. Im only 20, so bear with me. I appreciate your time reading this post, and i hope i get some feedback. THANK YOU.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: best digital camera for pictures and video?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: best digital camera for pictures and video?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Digital camera for video
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 19, 2006 11:55 PM PST

So far, a camcorder will produce better videos than any Digital Camera.

The Canon S2-IS produces the best digital camera videos, but at a high cost of media.

The S2-IS can only get 8 minutes of video on a 1 gig memory card($100). Or $750 for 1 hour of video.

A camcorder can give you 1 hour of video for $5

The Sony M1 can give you about 40 minutes of video on a 1 gig memory stick, because it uses Mpeg4 recording.
That works out to $150 for 1 hour of video.

You can see a sample of Sony M1 video at this link:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/m1_samples.html

Click on the photo on the bottom-right to download the video.

I only know of one review of the M1, and it was a good review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/m1.html

The Sony M1 has not been a big selling camera, mostly due to its very high cost when it was first introduced.

The price has dropped now and it can be found for as little as $425

The Sony M1 has been replaced by the M2 which is priced about $50 more than the M1.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=sony_dscm1%2Csony_dscm2&show=all

Collapse -
Actually
by Alan Copeland / February 21, 2006 10:48 PM PST
Collapse -
thanks
by hozro / February 20, 2006 11:59 AM PST

that was very helpful, i appreciate the feedback alot. I really like the canon s2-is, never even looked at that one. the only thing i dont like is the bulkyness and small lcd screen, also it looks very slr-like. though, i did some research on that camera, i found the pictures and video quality to be fantastic, i was amazed at how good the video quality was especially playing with no lag or roughness at highest quality.

About recording time, im not too worried about because all the files are going straight to my computer, and i work at bestbuy so i can get a 1gb memory card for 50bucks, just not much discount on cameras itself.

I appreciate it, that helped alot. I would appreciate more suggestions. thanks!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.