Desktops forum

General discussion

Best desktop under $800

by theonlyremainingscrnname / April 17, 2008 11:00 AM PDT

Looking to buy a desktop under the price of 800 ( but willing to spend a little more to pump up some specs); willing to spend a little of my money after all that hard work for three months (:

I have never used a desktop before, since I've always bought laptops. Despite their portability, I find them lacking in power.

I will be dabbling in video editing so I need huge hard drives as well as a discrete (dedicated) video card. Also a bit of gaming, but not the high powered, intense kind.

I DON'T CARE WHAT BRAND THEY ARE, JUST PLEASE DON'T HAVE ME BUILD IT MYSELF, BECAUSE I WOULD LIKE A WARRANTY WITH THE COMPUTER SHOULD ANYTHING GO WRONG. I ALSO DON'T CARE WHAT TYPE OF PROCESSOR IT HAS (AMD OR INTEL ARE BOTH FINE).

--
I already have my monitor and peripherals picked out. Therefore the computer shouldn't include these.

I decided on a 22" Asus monitor. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...p;sku=A179-2204

Logitech G51 Speakers.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...mp;sku=L23-6335

And this wireless mouse/keyboard combo for 35.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...mp;sku=L23-7048
--

Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best desktop under $800
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best desktop under $800
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
best if you put in your own video card
by ramarc / April 18, 2008 1:06 AM PDT

the 'best desktop' is constantly changing once you consider sales and rebates. here's a $680 tri-core HP with 3gb ram and 640gb drive: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8773455&type=product&id=1203815923971
you'll be able to find similar systems from Gateway, Acer, and Dell.

for some reason, pc manufacturers (and retail shops) charge way to much for video cards. so its best to add the card to the pc rather than overpay for wimpy card. here's an $80 8600gt (before $30 rebate) that would cost $150 at retail: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130085

if you don't want to install the card yourself, order it before you buy your pc and let the shop install it for you (about $30).

Collapse -
best desktop is..
by welrdelr / April 18, 2008 10:02 AM PDT

One that you build yourself. A refurbished, a used, a donation. Any of these may work for you.

Collapse -
make sure upgrade a better video card!
by Aznmask / April 21, 2008 5:27 AM PDT

If you buy those brand pc make sure you save some money for a better video card and some Rams(if need)

Most brand pc sell under $800 are include those onboard intergrate videocard. Once you upgrade the video card your pc will run so good..

Collapse -
Still need more info
by nutjob / April 22, 2008 6:44 AM PDT

You provided lots of information but still need a. For $800 the hp mentioned is a nice machine. There are 3 major companies that still make desktop (HP, IBM, and Dell). The others only do it as away of supplementing their laptop sales. I would stick with on of those 3 or go to your good/trusted local computer dealer (not best but/CompUSA) and tell them you want to spend $750 including tax for a decent box with a large hard drive and a full 1 year warranty. You should get a decent system without the head ache.

Collapse -
Lenovo
by Matt2168 / December 16, 2012 2:53 AM PST

I myself an looking for a desktop for under $800, and I've decided on the Lenovo K430. If you don't like that, another good one is the Lenovo H520. Either one will do you well, they both come with warranties.

The H520 comes with Windows 8, a 3rd generation Intel Core i7-3770 Processor( 3.40GHz 1600MHz 8MB), NVIDIA GeForce GT630 2GB Graphics, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz, 2TB 7200 RPM Hard Drive.

The K430 comes with Windows 7 or 8, 3rd generation Intel® Core™ i7-3770 (3.40 GHz, 8MB Cache), NVIDIA® GeForce® GT620 1GB Graphics, up to 32GB SDRAM, 2TB (7,200 rpm).

So in conclusion, the K430 is better in terms of RAM, but for everyday use, both will do you great for a low price.

Collapse -
(NT) This post is from 2008 and is now closed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2012 2:54 AM PST
In reply to: Lenovo
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.