TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Best configuration for 2 HD TVs and Dish Network HD DVR

by KJSHAN / December 23, 2006 1:33 AM PST

I admit in advance, I am an HD-TV novice. However, I can really appreciate the HD picture when I see it.

We are purchasing a new HD LCD TV for our second floor. Looking at the Sony Bravia in 26" or the Sharp. We have a second TV in the family room downstairs, a Sony WEGA 34" about 2 years old. It has the HDMI interface. I do not believe it is built-in HDTV, because we have always used a cable or dish receiver.

I am interested in knowing if there is a method to setup the Dish Network to enable both TVs to receive the HD channels and view recorded shows. Dish told me to order the 622 dual HD receiver, and use the other HD receiver from them I presently have. The customer service representative was not very technical, so I thought I should do my homework before my installation appointment.

Do I need both receivers?
What is the point of built-in HD on these TVs?
If I have the 622 receiver on one TV, will I be able to pause/record live TV on the second TV?
Will the second TV have lower HD quality reception?

I hope this is not too many questions. Thanks in advance for the help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best configuration for 2 HD TVs and Dish Network HD DVR
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best configuration for 2 HD TVs and Dish Network HD DVR
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HD Sat Source for 2 HD TVs
by Jim Noyd / December 23, 2006 6:06 AM PST

You'll need two Dish HD STBs like they said to have HD to both TVs.

I can output Component Video and HDMI from my Dish ViP 622 but it has be tuned to the same HD channel or recorded program.

Collapse -
by grc24 / December 23, 2006 7:25 AM PST

I have the Dish ViP622 dual reciever and I have NO set top box on the second TV. I only have a cable that comes from the reciever and plugs directly into the TV. That's it. I am also able to view HD channels on my 2nd set as well, No other set top box reqired. You can pause/ record shows on your 2nd set as well and watch them on you primary TV. It's a pretty slick reciever if you ask me. No the signal is not diminished at all from the 2nd set. The picture is just as good as the primary TV. This reciever requires a LAN based phone line connection though. Be sure you have phone jack near by. It dosen't interfere with your current phone line at all. I recommend the ViP622 dual HD/DVR reciever. You'll probabaly have to submit a little cash for the upgrade. Be prepared, it's worth it.

Collapse -
Best configuration for 2 HD TVs and Dish Network HD DVR
by KJSHAN / December 25, 2006 10:16 AM PST
In reply to: ViP622

I have ordered the dual HD box as an upgrade. I thought the TV with the receiver box gets the phone line. However, what wiring or receiver is used for the second TV? Does it also need a phone line? I am trying to figure out which TV gets the 622 box. Thanks!

Collapse -
by grc24 / December 25, 2006 11:25 AM PST

Your primary TV should get the receiver and it will have the phone line. Your second TV should only have a coax cable plugged into it. Just like if it were coming from a cable outlet. No other box should be reqired. The coax is split off of the line that would plug into you receiver. The ViP622 is a DUAL HD/DVR receiver. It is capable of operating two sets without the need of a 2nd HD receiver. I hope you have someone from Dish doing the install for you. There are a few cables that need to be split and routed. Good luck and Happy Holidays to you.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.