Cameras forum

Question

best Concert/ low light digital w/ good video?

by BrieBb / December 8, 2012 10:49 AM PST

So i need help with choosing a point and shoot digital camera for low light concert situations.
I also want good video so that the bass in the concert doesn't effect the sound in the video..all while having great low light pictures and pretty good zoom...hopefully it isn't to much to ask for
someone help me please!

i have the canon sx260, sony cyber-shot dsc-hx10v and the lumix dmc-zs19 i just don't know which one

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: best Concert/ low light digital w/ good video?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: best Concert/ low light digital w/ good video?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
There is no such camera.
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 8, 2012 10:56 PM PST

The closest camera for your purpose is the Canon C100:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/08/29/Canon-announces-EOS-C100

But the cost is $8,000

The sound on any digital camera is poor in regard to recording live music.
Expect distortion on all loud sounds.

The least expensive solution is to buy a digital camera and a camcorder.

Collapse -
what digital
by BrieBb / December 9, 2012 1:36 AM PST

then what would be the closet digital camera that would fit my needs the best?

Collapse -
I see one was noted.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 5:33 AM PST
In reply to: what digital

Why must it be a closet digital camera? Is that a typo?

Collapse -
typo
by BrieBb / December 9, 2012 8:21 AM PST
In reply to: I see one was noted.

sorry meant Closest*

Collapse -
The Canon C100
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 6:02 AM PST
In reply to: what digital

I don't recommend any other digital camera for recording live music.
You will be disappointed with them all.

You will find that there is also a problem with the microphone picking up sounds from the auto focus and zoom motors.

Get a camcorder.

Collapse -
low light
by BrieBb / December 9, 2012 8:22 AM PST
In reply to: The Canon C100

what about a p&s digital camera then that is good in low light concert settings then?

Collapse -
Point and Shoot - low light
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 9:40 AM PST
In reply to: low light

99 percent of point and shoot cameras are only average in low light.
Which is poor when compared to a DSLR camera.

There are only a very few that are above average (which is still less than a DSLR camera).
They have larger than average sensors and brighter than average lenses.

Panasonic LX7
Canon S110 or G15

None of them have much optical zoom. 3.8X for the Panasonic and 5X for the Canons
The price is at the high end ($400 to $500).

Collapse -
Real World Examples
by PistonCupChampion / December 9, 2012 2:21 PM PST
In reply to: low light

Here are videos I took using a Sony HX9V, which has been lauded for its HD capability in many professional reviews. It was an outdoor concert. As the light faded into evening, you can see how the small sensor, small aperture lens, and auto-focus struggles (to be fair, I did not have AF tracking on) to provide high definition video. I had to hold the camera over my head, and stabilization could not keep up with my tiring arms. The sound is adequate...not terrible but certainly not great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF6uviiez2Q&feature=share&list=UUoQwYXSWcglkx6n6Ve-zZMA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT4P3oZQ8qM&feature=share&listUUoQwYXSWcglkx6n6Ve-zZMA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP145MN8-TA&feature=share&listUUoQwYXSWcglkx6n6Ve-zZMA

Collapse -
camera sound ok
by RockinRose4U / February 25, 2013 11:58 PM PST
In reply to: Real World Examples
Collapse -
Answer
Panasonic TZ7
by LouiseSorman / December 18, 2012 11:25 PM PST

OMG YOU gotta get Panasonic Lumix TZ7 or any successor of that series!! Seriously the BEST point and shoot camera for recording live concert. The sound is ahhhhhhh mazing!! It has 12x optical zoom too and takes great pictures at low light! Dont believe it watch this!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZSPh-ZWb7A

The above video wasn't mine but I recently went to a concert and I was just standing right next to the bass and my recorded videos did not get distorted by the loud bass at all!

Collapse -
Panasonic TZ7
by LouiseSorman / December 18, 2012 11:33 PM PST
In reply to: Panasonic TZ7

Oh by the way, I'm not sure about TZ7's sucessors though. Have seen some users said the successors were not as good sound-wise.

Collapse -
I need a new HD camera for concert videos with good audio
by RockinRose4U / February 25, 2013 3:40 PM PST
In reply to: Panasonic TZ7

Here is one of my videos from my SD-890 audio is great. I need a new HD camera with higher optical zoom that sounds as good as my SD-890. Just tried the Canon SX-260 and it sounded bad but everything else about it was great. I read this Panasonic the newer model don't sound as good as the old one that's hard to get or discontinued. And that's my problem Canon said the SX-260 audio should be the same as my 890 and it's so much worse. They told me to try the elph series but I don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RassBsMibUc&list=PLF1412F85A2D1341C&index=4

Collapse -
Concert recording
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 25, 2013 11:13 PM PST

Video is acceptable but 5 minutes and 52 seconds of very bad audio.
I found it impossible to distinguish one word.
The camera AGC (automatic gain control) was hunting all over the place, volume constantly going up and down.

Collapse -
camera help
by RockinRose4U / February 25, 2013 11:50 PM PST
In reply to: Concert recording

I have several other videos if my boyfriend videos it's better than me so I may have done that one I didn't watch it but the sound is great on all my videos from my SD-890 my older videos from way back when I had an SD-450 the audio was so muffled it sucked. And the sound on the SX-260 I am returning isn't any good. I still need to know what new HD camera will do as good of audio as my SD-890. I just picked a random video and I just played part of it back and it sounded fine to me. Here's another one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMHTQ_0AzRM I just want a camera that will have audio like my SD-890.

Collapse -
Answer
Good Audio camera
by RockinRose4U / March 11, 2013 2:15 AM PDT

Just wondering if you found a decent camera with good audio. My SD-890 took really good audio without any distortion and sounds pretty good. I just need a newer camera and I am wanting HD with a higher zoom. And people keep saying there isn't one out there and no point and shoot little camera is going to give you good audio. Well a you tube guy is in the same boat as me he has the SD-990 and gets good audio and we both bought the S-260 and it was horrible. I tried the ELPH 330 worse. I am now considering Panasonic but am not sure yet. Just wondering if you found a decent one. I just want to record concerts more than I will be taking pictures.

Collapse -
Audio isn't going to happen
by Holdemxpert2 / March 29, 2013 3:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Good Audio camera

If you want high quality sound go with a separate DAR like the Tascam. A small pair of phantom powered AT mics will fit in croakies that double as a windscreen. Synch with whatever video solution you prefer. Iphone5 does as good a job as most, always gets in to a concert. Ollie? Makes wide screen and telephoto adapters.

Collapse -
Good Audio Camera
by Rose4uKY / March 29, 2013 7:58 AM PDT

To our surprise the Panasonic ZS-19 is everything we want so far. Has the better zoom it's HD and we haven';t had any muffled or distortion yet from a live concert at a big venue to being up front at a bar near loud speakers. So far we like it and our pleased. I found a keeper. We found the ZS-19 here at Target for 249 and we knew there is a ZS-20 newer model but were told only difference was GPS so and we needed camera right away to test out at Bon Jovi concert and than tested it twice a local bars and at Hard Rock in Chicago last weekend. We think the sound is pretty good for a little camera not the best but were pleased. Much better than the horrible sound of the two Canons I tried.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.