Desktops forum

General discussion

Best Computer For Young Children?

by ikoiko / March 2, 2005 2:40 PM PST

I have two young children (8 and 6). What computer configuration should I go with to support this age? PC? Mac? What features?

Oh...I am on a budget!

Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Computer For Young Children?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Computer For Young Children?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My child...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2005 9:00 PM PST

From about age 6 had a PC. Now he's 10 and has his own PC. I rarely have to help him out, but did last week as we installed an entry level video editor so he can make his own video production. I'm sure there are Macs too, but I am a little PC oriented due to work and more.

Bob

Collapse -
Best Computer For Young Children?
by jcrobso / March 2, 2005 11:57 PM PST

Since you didn't say what your budget is it is hard to say. But many people get a new computer and give the older one to the childern. If you have a MAC then go that way. If you have a PC go that way. John

Collapse -
the computer isn't a huge deal...
by cv4stm / March 3, 2005 5:44 AM PST

I would go with a cheap Pentium 4 or a cheap Athlon XP...they really don't need top of line if they are that young. I would say I good idea would be to get them a webcam/video camera for computer so they can make stupid videos and stuff. That is just my opinion tho.

Collapse -
Less expensive
by Willy / March 3, 2005 11:12 PM PST

If you can get a working used/freebie(given) computer of at least 500Mhz or better will be decent enough for them to enjoy small pgms. and/or kid interaction type programming. They will learn the basics and still be able to get internet access with enough speed to be comfortable. Being used, the system will be very cheap if "working" no repairs other than maybe getting to a clean slate as it were. Otherwise, a cheap system and I do mean cheap but affordable are in the $500 range or cheaper if brought on sale, supplied by Compaq, HP, eMachines, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Best Buy, Circuit City, Fry's and verious online sources. That system is usually an entry system is normally new or a "reburbed" one that's returned to as new condition, just read the fine print. The side benefit of a vendor supplied system is usually some OS and s/w bundle in part of the deal and basic warranty, if new, less warranty if reburbed.

enjoy -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Computer for young children
by John Robie / March 4, 2005 12:08 AM PST

Gee, everyone has made good suggestions and for children that age it would be best to go for an inexpensive used or low priced as others have suggested. The webcam/video camera that cv4stm suggest is inexpensive and should be a hit with them. He should know as he has stated before that he is 15 years old.

When my grandchildren come over they play with my 500MHz desktop that I paid $2375 for 6 yrs ago now worth about $200, or the emachine 766Mhz. If they need to play a current high tech game then they use my 2.0 GHz desktop.

Collapse -
maybe for the 6 year old
by krazydonutboy / March 6, 2005 10:53 AM PST

i did see something a little bit ago about a disney-themed desktop geared for kids - complete with mickey ears on the monitor. i believe it is in the cnet desktop reviews.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.