Phones

General discussion

Best cellphone GPS handset WITHOUT internet connection

by Tanbir Rahman / January 24, 2010 5:03 PM PST

Hi all, I live in Sydney. I want to upgrade my cellphone. My desired cellphone functions are the GPS and good camera. The rates and plans are crazy here, I don't wish to pay them a single cent for something which is a built in function in a cell phone. So please help me decide which one to buy to guide me through this concrete jungle.

I have found this on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33vxom3itIk

As you can see, nokia's craze n95 is no match for samsung i8910. The built in gps is way better in i8910, and the processor of i8910 is way faster than n95, not to mention the display and camera specs. This comparison shows who's the boss, without any doubt.

This comparison is 6 month old, naturally there are more powerful handsets with GPS support is available now in the market. I DO NOT intend to pay for any monthly GPS service at all, so I'll be entirely depending on the maps built in the phone, or download them on the phone myself. Is Samsung i8910 the only solution for me?

Please help me with this one guys, I'm new in this city, and getting lost all the time. Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best cellphone GPS handset WITHOUT internet connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best cellphone GPS handset WITHOUT internet connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Internet connection
by birdmantd Forum moderator / January 24, 2010 8:59 PM PST

GPS applications can work just fine w/out an internet connection, you just can't turn by turn directions (trip planning) without an internet connection. The device will show your location without any additional data connection.

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply, there is a trip planning option in n95
by Tanbir Rahman / January 24, 2010 10:29 PM PST
In reply to: Internet connection

Me and my friend got lost, and successfully found out our way home using n95's GPS feature, which was DAMN slow, but still working without any support from the internet. We put one pin to where we want to go, and another pin to our location, and it did gave us "turn by turn directions (trip planning)", without any voice command of course, which is fine by me as long as I can reach my destination.

I just wanted you to take a look at the youtube link, I think i8910 can do it more smoothly, and I just want to know if there is anything else out there, which can perform better than i8910?

Thank you so much for the reply.

Collapse -
gps service without internet connection for n97
by syedqaiser786 / October 21, 2010 9:52 PM PDT

i want gps service without internet connection can any one help me out for searching this...

Collapse -
Nokia Ovi Maps
by Pepe7 / October 22, 2010 2:56 PM PDT

You're halfway home. Look up Nokia Ovi maps. It should work on your N97.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.