Phones forum

General discussion

Best Cell phone for signal strength

by rstevenschaffer / August 21, 2009 10:16 PM PDT

I am about to get a new cell phone. I am not concerned about aps, web surfing or anything other than making / receiving calls and text messages. I live in a rural area with spotty coverage. I will be using AT&T as my service provider. My main concern is signal strength. I had a Motorola Razor a few years back and the signal was great. The past two years I've had an LG and the signal has been horrible. What suggestions for a new phone that will suit my needs? Is there any code or identity on each phone that would indicate signal strength?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Cell phone for signal strength
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Cell phone for signal strength
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No such thing, unfortunately
by Pepe7 / August 22, 2009 1:36 AM PDT

Finding a phone which works in any particular location from one of the carriers is always trial and error. Throw in the various building/construction types and it becomes extremely variable, even within a specific neighborhood. There are some strong contenders though, such as your RAZR, and some of the very basic Nokia candybar style phones, which are obviously not as popular given the arrival of the smartphone/iPhone trend of late. The one advantage of *not* going with one of the 'free' phones from the carrier is that you likely have a better chance at finding something which works in the long run. YMMV. Location is everything though. If you live too much in a fringe area, or in an area where 3G service ends, sometimes the phone bouncing between networks can present problems holding/receiving a call.

Have you gone online recently and checked the online coverage map @ ATT? It would be helpful to know your zip code to take a quick peek at which carriers service your location better than others in the case where you though you might have to switch.

FWIW, I've never had good luck with LG GSM based handsets. GSM/UMTS is the technology ATT & T-Mobiles uses by the way. The LG CDMA handsets for Sprint, Verizon, etc are a bit better RF-wise. You could try picking up a newer RAZR from Craig's list or ebay instead of going with an ATT issued phone per se. Or are you limiting yourself to what ATT offers on their web site or corporate stores?

The other option you might consider is to install a repeater/amplifier to provide coverage for your entire home, or maybe just a room/office/etc. That can be a little pricey depndinig on which equipment you require (antennas on the roof, for example), but if you need to stay with a particular carrier, it may certainly be useful.

What other handsets have you tried, and are you mainly having issues using your phone *inside* rather than just outside your front door/yard(?)

-Pedro

Collapse -
I guess its back Moto
by rstevenschaffer / August 22, 2009 2:01 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply Pedro. I still have my old RAZR (I keep it for a loaner to temp employees) and have used it side by side with this LG and the Mot consistently has 2 or 3 bars when LG is "no service" You mentioned Nokia, I had a Nokia before the RAZR and it was better than this LG. I will stay with AT & T for now and probably go with a phone in one of the stores. Do you happen to know what Mot phones are out right now that are pretty basic?

Also, I know this is off topic but I have always been afraid that if my phone is lost or stolen I'll lose all the numbers stored on my SIM. Is there a program or website that allows you to plug the phone in and upload the SIM card info?

Thanks again,

Schaffer

Collapse -
Try the v365
by Pepe7 / August 23, 2009 12:42 AM PDT
In reply to: I guess its back Moto

That might fit the bill for you. The EM330 looks a bit tinny to me, and the Karma is more of a kids texting phone.

Look into Motorola Phone tools to see if that would work with a new Moto handset to backup data including contacts. Hypothetically you wouldn't even need to be able to back up a SIM if the same contacts were also present on any handset that could be backed up too.

-Pedro

Collapse -
about the SIM
by nunyasochata / November 17, 2012 2:17 AM PST
In reply to: I guess its back Moto

what i do is store all my numbers to another SIM when i get a new number stored that i do not want to loose... store all to phone, switch sims, store all to sim, switch back to registered sim... now if you loose your phone you just put the backup sim in your new phone and store all to phone, switch back to new registered sim...

sorry iPhone users... this is one thing you just cant do... just go linux and stop trying to "fit-in"... who uses linux you ask? YOU do, apple OS is linux, you just didn't know it.

Collapse -
Wait a second.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2012 2:25 AM PST
In reply to: about the SIM
Collapse -
motorola razor
by lindahntx / May 28, 2010 9:18 AM PDT

I have a motorola razor now... but in the Verizon co.... it sucks in the rural area too. Constant dropped calls, or doesn't ring at all.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.