Cameras forum

Best Camera Video

by Jessesupermanhayes / November 24, 2012 2:34 AM PST

I have a dilemma and I could use some advice. I am looking to record video for my church but also trying to have an all in once solution with a good camera as well. I am looking at two cameras Sony NEX-5R and the Canon T4i, Which one has better video recording? I know they both recently got autofocus but has anyone tested these? Second how about a clean hdmi video out for streaming the church service?

Thank you!!!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Camera Video
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Camera Video
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
I have the t3i.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2012 2:39 AM PST
In reply to: Best Camera Video

What is "clean"? It looks fine to me but you do run into those purists and for them I can't help.

But I'd ask another question such as if the camera autoshuts down after so many minutes. I won't test that for you since it's not the t4i but folk that are trying to use such as a video camera like you see in studios often forget that most consumer gear will not stay on.

Collapse -
Thank you for your response
by Jessesupermanhayes / November 24, 2012 12:43 PM PST
In reply to: I have the t3i.

When I said clean I meant the video out typically mirrors what is on the display. Some cameras with have a blank video out for streaming purposes. The t4i has a very loud auto focus during video recording are you familiar with this? is a lound auto focus normal for DSLRS?

Thank you

Collapse -
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 24, 2012 11:08 PM PST

Sound on any digital camera is a crap shoot.
Manufacturers of digital cameras will spend some money on projects that improve the capture of still picturesl.
They treat video/audio as an afterthought and spend as little as possible on it.
Sound is one of the places they will settle for second best.
Because it will be expensive to make it good.

Auto Focus and zoom motor noise is quite common as is wind noise when you take the camera outdoors.
They do poorly when trying to record live music that is even close to loud.

If you want a camera that does everything well, you need more money.
Canon says they will have such a camera for Christmas.

Collapse -
About motor noise in the Canon line.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2012 2:23 AM PST

Canon heard you and if you read up you see that Canon offers some option on the auto focus motor. Good reading so I'll stop here.

I see our resident genius has a great idea too.

Collapse -
"mirrors what is on the display"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2012 1:36 AM PST
In reply to: I have the t3i.

As I have the T3i I thought I'd check that out but I see I need an adapter from the camera to HDMI. I'll get that by next week.

But my guess is the HDMI output would be just the image and not what I see on the LCD. What's on the LCD with menus and overlays might not show on HDMI. But I'm just guessing. We'll see next week.

Are you telling us that Canon does not answer such questions?

Collapse -
re: "mirrors what is on the display"
by MarkatNite / November 28, 2012 7:38 AM PST

Hi Bob,

I'd be very interested in hearing what you find, as it's my understanding that, at a minimum, the red record dot is present on the HDMI output. I've also been told that the output drops to SD resolution when recording. And when not recording, as you noted above, the Live View (and thus HDMI output) shuts off after 30 minutes.

Thanks - Mark

Collapse -
Be back next week with more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2012 7:48 AM PST

I thought I had the cable but it seems it's not in the package so a few days till I can try it.

30 minutes is typical. If you need a HDMI camera, you need a HDMI camera. All consumer products usually fail for use in commercial applications such as say a CCTV camera which you may know I've been involved with for a very long time. I'm not a CCTV setup or installer person but one of those designers of the stuff these folk may use to set such up. That doesn't mean I know it all or what's out there but it does mean I know the limits of common off the shelf stuff (time limits due to taxes or heat.)

Collapse -
re: Best Camera Video
by MarkatNite / November 27, 2012 8:56 AM PST

Why do you want an all-in-one solution? These almost always entail compromises, so your money will usually be better spent on a dedicated video camera (and a dedicated stills/photo camera). Two cameras also gives you more versatility. Also note that DSLRs are horrible tools for shooting video of (live) events. e.g. the limited clip length means you will have gaps in your video (every 30 minutes with the Sony and every 12 minutes with the Canon). Also note that there have been overheating issues--granted, on previous models, but still--when shooting video for long periods. And keep in mind I'm saying this as someone who's been shooting video on DSLRs since the GH1 came out, and who currently shoots video on a GH2 and T4i. (But I shoot stuff where we have time to setup, block, and do multiple takes, not live events.)

Speaking of the T4i, no, the HDMI out is not clean. And from what I've read, the same is true for the Sony. And again, you're almost always better off buying the right tool for the job. i.e. if you want to stream video over the internet, get a camera that's made for that. Especially since HDMI quality is way overkill for streaming video; most facilities don't have the upload bandwidth, and most viewers don't have the download bandwidth. And, no offense, but why do you think the parishioners need to see the service in that much detail? i.e. why won't an SD/VGA stream suffice? Even the Olympics weren't streamed in HDMI quality. (To be fair, I have seen video from a GH2 streamed over the internet, and it looked great! But it also took a lot of tweaking and special equipment to do.)

Oh, and lastly, re: (quiet) autofocus on the T4i -- note that there are only two STM lenses out at present - Mark

Collapse -
Cable Guy!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 9:02 AM PST

My cable arrived. Can you ask your questions in some number format? Keep it short and I'll try it this evening.

Collapse -
Thanks for checking back.
by MarkatNite / December 4, 2012 10:09 AM PST
In reply to: Cable Guy!

Hi Bob,

So basically I would be interested in whether or not the HDMI output is "just the image" as you speculated above or if it includes some or all of the overlays. e.g. the red "record" dot. I would also be curious to know if the resolution is a full 1920x1080 or if it drops to something smaller. (I've heard that, when the camera is recording, the HDMI out drops to SD/VGA resolution.)

Thanks - Mark

Collapse -
Tried it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2012 12:34 PM PST

It has a lot of modes but the output is 1080i. In 16x9 mode there are some bars that I can't see how to turn off. There is a setting to not power off so that's one item that means we can run it as long as there is power.

OK, a little better when I set the T3i to it's movie mode. It does not fill the 1080p display as I suspected but here's a picture.

If you record a movie, it plays back full screen at 1080p 24 or 30 FPS. Read:

"(I've heard that, when the camera is recording, the HDMI out drops to SD/VGA resolution.)"
It drops to 720x480 and I have the picture to show this.

--> This is NOT a "HDTV Studio" camera. Some think it is, but for HDTV studios, you have to shop for that.

Hope this helps,

Collapse -
Thanks, Bob!
by MarkatNite / December 5, 2012 8:25 AM PST
In reply to: Tried it.

So the HDMI out isn't really suitable for recording on an external device.

Thanks for checking - Mark

Collapse -
It is recordable. But fails your other needs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2012 8:36 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks, Bob!

1. It's 1080i
2. It's not a HDTV Camera. i.e. what you would use for HDTV broadcast use.

My bet is this is partly limitations of the chips and partly limitations of HDMI. HDMI mandates HDCP and the FINE PRINT about this means that streams are paid one by one. There's more to this than I can write here but the cost issue alone means there is no way to meet target prices and put out 1080 while recording.

There are other issues with HDCP that I didn't discuss here but that explains the drop to 480 easily. If you have a HD display, and it displays HD then any passthrough shall be SD. And that's exactly what happened when we hit record.

-> After this and many other nuggets I don't think HDMI is that friendly to those that want to use it for creative purposes.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.