Cameras forum

Question

best camera for me?

by hotshoezach / December 8, 2012 12:55 AM PST

I'm looking for a camera to take with me to NYC here in a few weeks, and this is what i'm looking for:

-budget of $300 maximum (and even that's pushing it, because i wanted to get extra batteries)

-nice shot-to-shot speed, it would be nice if it started up quick as well, so i can keep up with the hustle and bustle of the city

-crisp daylight photos

probably the feature i'm most worried about:
-As good of night shots as i can get for this price range, with flash of course... i don't see myself getting a very nice DSLR for $300. i know that much. but i'm going to be there for New Year's Eve, and it would be nice to get some decent photos of myself and the people i'm going with, and the lights and things that are going on. even if i have to use flash to get them.

-Panorama shot capability-- i'd love to get a panorama of some places there.

-GPS & WiFi.... it would be nice to let my family know what i'm doing as soon as it happens, the WiFi feature is very nice in my opinion.

i'm not worried about it being compact, i'm more worried of the actual performance of the camera. Putting it on a strap won't upset me because i can keep track of it easier that way.

basically, in essence, i'd like a point-and-shoot because that's all i really have the money for right now, but one that does a little moreso.

Cameras i was looking at:

-Canon ELPH110HS
-Sony DSC-HX30V

and a couple others, but i figured i'd ask more knowledgeable people what sounds right for me.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: best camera for me?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: best camera for me?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Everything is a Compromise
by PistonCupChampion / December 8, 2012 1:47 AM PST
In reply to: best camera for me?

This would give you the best image quality for under $300:

http://www.cameta.com/Olympus-PEN-Mini-E-PM1-Micro-Digital-Camera-14-42mm-II-Lens-Silver-Factory-Demo-65960.cfm

Pros:

HUGE sensor compared to a point-and-shoot camera.
Faster performance compared to a P&S.

Cons:

None of the gadgets you want; no GPS, WiFi, or automatic panorama mode.

FYI, flash on any camera is weak. It's fine for people pictures, but you can't use it for night shots of the city. That requires long exposures, or in-camera image combining technology, such as Sony's Handheld Twilight mode. Bear in mind that a long exposure will be higher quality, but a combined image is "good enough" for viewing on a computer or for small prints.

Collapse -
RE:
by hotshoezach / December 8, 2012 3:04 AM PST

the GPS could probably go. i really don't even care about that, lol. it's mostly the WiFi that i was after, it's just that most cameras with the WiFi, come with the GPS as well. lol.

that one actually has WiFi capabilities, it says, if you have the proper accessories. but it's not the most important feature.... i plan on getting a big enough SD card for the job. no problems there.

does the HX30V have the Twilight mode? just wondering.

and yeah, i really don't plan on getting prints of anything unless i really really like a picture i took. i'm sure there will be some "artsy" photos here and there, but other than that i'd just like to get nice photos.

usually i line up my shots so they're a little more than just a snapshot, but i don't go too crazy. if i really wanna take an "artsy" photo i kinda check out different angles and stuff first.

Collapse -
RE
by hotshoezach / December 8, 2012 3:15 AM PST

if i can find a refurbished model like that one, that would be great, but to be honest with you, most of the time when i'm looking around here within the past few minutes i've been seeing it brand new for a tad bit more than i wanna spend at the moment.

looks like a great camera if i can find a refurbished or gently used one.
if i can't find one within the next couple days though, i'll have to look for another model because my trip is in a couple weeks, so i'll need to allow for shipping time.

Collapse -
Answer
WiFi
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 8, 2012 3:52 AM PST
In reply to: best camera for me?
Collapse -
I bought one. Now have 2!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2012 4:07 AM PST
In reply to: WiFi

This is quite a neat solution. I own 2 now.
Bob

Collapse -
RE
by hotshoezach / December 8, 2012 4:53 AM PST

i forgot about eyefi.

next order of business.... probably going to have to change that price limit to under $200. batteries are getting expensive.... and nothing is more annoying than a scratched up screen... so i need to get screen protectors.

i know i'm making this more difficult, lol.

Collapse -
This is my cheap setup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2012 5:08 AM PST
In reply to: RE

A Canon PowerShot A1300 and a 4GB Eye-Fi. It's turning out better than expected pictures for a paltry 99 buck camera and a 35 buck Eye-Fi.

And it has a viewfinder!
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.