Cameras forum

Best camera for low light manufacturing plant?

by potato_writer / April 3, 2013 7:43 AM PDT

I am trying to find a camera that takes good low light pictures. I work in a manufacturing plant. We build large agriculture equipment. I need to camera that will take good pictures under these lighting conditions. I want more than just a small compact camera, but nothing that can change lenses. So something midsized is what I am looking for. We do some outdoor photos, but 90% of what we do is indoors. The camera we have now is about six years old and all the pictures come out very grainy, even with the the flash one.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best camera for low light manufacturing plant?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best camera for low light manufacturing plant?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 3, 2013 8:18 AM PDT

Since one of the contenders is the new Sony RX-1
you better let us know about the budget for this camera.
The RX-1 costs $2,800

Collapse -
by potato_writer / April 3, 2013 10:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Price?

As for price $2,800 is way to to much. I need to keep it under &1000. I would say I like like to stay in the $500 range. I know this limits my choices, but i need the best option within this price range.

Collapse -
Point and Shoot
by PistonCupChampion / April 4, 2013 2:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Price

Results you want aren't tied to a monetary number. A $2800 camera won't guarantee success over a $1000 or even a $500 camera. Indeed, the more expensive a camera is, the more likely it is that you would need to know something about photography in order to take advantage of a more expensive camera's capability. As an analogy, it would be like expecting the average person to drive an F1 car the same way as Michael Schumacher. The average person can't, because the average person doesn't have the experience.

If you don't want to mess with learning about photographic exposure, the best you can do is get a camera with an intelligent auto mode and hope it does what you want. In that vein and with respect to your desired budget, I'd suggest either the Panasonic DMC-LX7, or the Sony NEX-3N. But maybe you don't even need that good a's hard to say without know how you view or use the photos, and what you deem as good image quality.

Collapse -
A Possibility
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 4, 2013 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Price
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Focal length?
by MarkatNite / April 3, 2013 11:42 AM PDT

In addition to budget, it would also be helpful to know what focal length(s) you need. (It should be noted in the EXIF of the pics you've already taken.)

All Answers

Collapse -
Use a tripod
by PistonCupChampion / April 3, 2013 8:41 AM PDT

A tripod will allow you to use the lowest ISO for the best image quality, and a long shutter speed to gather enough light, no flash necessary. Using a tripod will allow you to use any camera, even a point-and-shoot, with very good results.

If you are unwilling to use a tripod, you will want a camera with as big a sensor as possible, and as wide aperture a lens as you can get. A camera that also does in-camera HDR would be handy as well. There's no law that says you cannot buy an interchangeable lens camera and just use one lens; an entry level DSLR with a wide aperture prime lens would be the cheapest way to get the best performance...far cheaper than the aforementioned RX1.

Collapse -
It's a small (no, I won't write that word here.)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2013 2:50 AM PDT

I'm working on a system where they take snaps at the end of the line and I'll share that we use an EyeFi card to cut the cord and fumble issues of image transfer. But that's just me sharing.

More to the point, a few WalMart construction lamps would be under 100 bucks and we put that on a timer switch so they can hit and get 15 minutes of good light. I won't guess what your install would cost but this was far cheaper than getting a many thousand buck camera.

We are using a 70 buck camera with the 35 buck EyeFi card so the cost of removing the lighting looks to be a great way of escalating the cost of this system.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.