Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Best Cable Modems

by THUNDERxRAGE / June 19, 2007 12:14 PM PDT

Beside the ones that cable companies pass out... What is the best cable modems that can actually give us T3 speeds, handle high loads/traffic, and maintain strong/solid connection at all times?

I'm being ripped off by paying $70 a month. Sad

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Cable Modems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Cable Modems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2007 11:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Best Cable Modems

But I've never had an issue with ANY model I picked up and installed for others. You didn't share make/model/firmware version, your setup so this dicussion dies for lack of information.

Bob

Collapse -
You'll never get 45 Mb/s. . .
by Coryphaeus / June 20, 2007 8:12 AM PDT

with cable no matter what modem you use.

Have you done any actual investigating on what's available? And I'll guarantee T3/45 Mb/s is going to cost more than 70 bucks a month.

Can you expand a little more on what you've done, what you have now, and what you expect?

Wayne

There are 10 types of people who understand binary; those that do and those that don't.
Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, internet connections,
spyware removal, and download free software.

Collapse -
Modem
by THUNDERxRAGE / June 20, 2007 10:13 AM PDT

T3 - 12 to 15 MBPS

Motorola SB5120 SURFboard

I've had this modem for over a year now.

Few weeks ago, I'm starting to get a "one second connection loss" about one to three times per 24 hours. It's annoying.

Someone told me that modem is failing, so I dunno.

Collapse -
First. . .
by Coryphaeus / June 20, 2007 10:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Modem

A T-3 is a fully digital, optically transported, Pulse Code Modulated, data signal running at 45 Mb/s. It's also synchronous which means its 45 Mb/s in both directions.

Cable is in reality an analog signal and is asynchronous which means it has two different speeds. High speed for downloading and a slower speed for uploading.

Now.

FIOS is available in the speed range you are looking for. It's an optically transported signal (fiber). You'll need to contact a local vendor (Verizon, AT&T) and see if it's available in your area. But the speed you're wanting will cost you.

Collapse -
Firmware.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2007 12:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Modem

"Cable Service Providers or MSO's control the firmware on the cable modems. Any and all firmware upgrades to your Motorola cable modem, or any DOCSIS cable modem, is completely under the control of the cable operator. Motorola does not, nor is capable of, controlling the firmware upgrade process. You should contact your cable operator for details or issues with their plan to upgrade your cable modem." - Mot.

At least we know that's not up to you.

I hate to ask, but why is 3 seconds of connection loss a problem in 24 hours? The internet is not a 100% assured service.

Bob

Collapse -
Okay..
by THUNDERxRAGE / June 20, 2007 1:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Firmware.

I've never had the connection going off on me like this before. It just started few weeks ago. I dunno why. I'll try to get a modem replacement or call them again about what else I can do.

Collapse -
Is it cableone by any chance?
by crazeebob2000 / June 20, 2007 6:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Okay..

I've been having trouble with my service for a month. If it stayed connected at all it would still be slower than dial up. I went to their office and got a new modem,still didn't work. What was odd to me is, around 6 0r 7:00 pm, it would start acting right. I kept calling and bugging them until they got sick of me and came fixed it right. It's been great all day.

Collapse -
OOPS!
by crazeebob2000 / June 20, 2007 6:52 PM PDT

I forgot to say: the cable modem is a Motorola SB5101. Also, i hope they can keep their heads out of their nether regions and keep things on their end working right.

Collapse -
re: OOPs!
by n5rkn / November 7, 2007 11:23 AM PST
In reply to: OOPS!

Bob, did you ever get your cable problem with Cable One fixed, up there in OK? Just wondered....

Robert
Cable One
West Texas

Collapse -
Different Company
by THUNDERxRAGE / June 20, 2007 8:42 PM PDT

Cox Communication is the one I'm with.

I've heard that people having satellite Internet and having speeds faster than cable. Well, I checked online and it seem the highest satellite can offer is 1.5 MBPS download for same price of 15 MBPS on cable.

Anyone know great listing of satellite companies?

Collapse -
re satellite.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2007 10:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Different Company

No. And no.

If 3 seconds a day gets you posting and more then you don't want to start talking about sat.

Bob

Collapse -
one second connection loss" about one to three times per 24
by Dash142 / November 7, 2007 4:59 PM PST
In reply to: re satellite.

one second loss about 1 to 3 times aday? golly he must watch it closely then Bob. And if he went Satelite he would really be complaining..lol.. Cause with satelite thru dish network you would have to connect using phone line. them small dishs only receive not transmit. and with bad weather he would lose the downlink signal.... And yes it might be comparative to DSL or Cable in price. And there are Satelite internet providers that do offer 2 way satelite internet but the equipment is total cost uneffective.. the receiver tranmitter can run from 600.00 on up which he would have to purchase with a monthy sevice of 99.00 on up.. A friend of mine did that and bo was he upset with their service it took them 3 months to get there and set it up after he bought and recieved the system. And after a month of actual use he was not happy with his and tried to return it with their so called 30 customer satisfaction quarantee they told him he had the system beyond the 30 day return policy so he had to take them to court to get his money back and even though he won and got his money back of 650 dollars back it cost him 800 to hire a lawyer so he was still out 650.00 plus 150.00 so when all said and done he still paid 800.00 for a service he did not like. LOL, So you are right he should stick with what he has.. Also he should check with his provider.. it could be his modem might be going bad or the isp provider is working those particular times on their system...

Collapse -
wow
by prince.siraj / March 26, 2009 2:32 AM PDT

dude that's kinda funny. although i feel sorry for your friend

Collapse -
How can I get that speed
by martelly99 / August 25, 2009 4:25 AM PDT

I hate my cable company. I hate knowing how much I spend a month on communications. Its scary to think and I piece out my features to the bare bones.

Anyway, so I can make my modem/internet be faster? I pay $50 a month to have it at 5mbs

What do I do to make it faster?

Collapse -
How not
by Reon88 / November 4, 2009 3:23 AM PST

Switch to Insight. if available in your area, they offer 10 mbs for $40 or 20 mbs for $50. Really low ping and jitter

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.