Cameras forum

General discussion

Best but cheap lens for Nikon d5200

by AnuOcto14 / June 8, 2013 12:45 AM PDT

Hey all
I'm thinking of buying Nikon D5200 dslr. But i'm getting it with 18-55 mm kit lens which, according to most of the onlin reviews, doesn't push the capabilities of the camera.

I'v done some research and i'm considering getting the body only and a different lens along with it. one of the lenses I've shortlisted and come just under my budget is-

-> Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro for Nikon Digital SLR Lens (Macro Lens)

i'm a portrait and street photography enthusiast. i like taking group shots and landscape shots as well.

Please suggest if there is any other or better option.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best but cheap lens for Nikon d5200
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best but cheap lens for Nikon d5200
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some owner reviews
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 8, 2013 12:14 PM PDT
Collapse -
this was helpful
by AnuOcto14 / June 8, 2013 4:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Some owner reviews

thanks a lot for the link

Collapse -
Prime vs. Zoom
by PistonCupChampion / June 8, 2013 1:06 PM PDT

Generally speaking, a lens with more zoom is going to be inferior with regards to resolution and distortion. That is why most of the better quality lenses do not cover a wide range. The only thing "better" about an 18-200mm lens is that it is more convenient than two lenses covering the same focal range. If you really want to get the most out of the sensor, you would use a single focal length lens, also known as a prime lens. The Nikon 50mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.8 G lenses would be examples of very high image quality lenses; they are both "classical" portrait lenses. A somewhat more versatile length but not quite as sharp would be the 35mm f/1.8 G.

If you want a better standard zoom than the 18-55mm, the Nikon 18-105mm, which is the kit ens for the D7100, would be my choice. Another good lens would be the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8; it is not as long, but it is a constant aperture lens.

Collapse -
hey thanks a lot!!
by AnuOcto14 / June 9, 2013 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Prime vs. Zoom

i'm considering of buying the 18-55mm kit lens only, for now, along with 50mm f/1.8. will buy the 55-200 mm lens after a couple of months once i get comfortable with this one.
18-105mm is getting slightly over my budget right now.

thanks for your suggestion. Happy

Collapse -
though Tamron looks cool as well
by AnuOcto14 / June 9, 2013 4:24 AM PDT
In reply to: hey thanks a lot!!

i've gone through the reviews of the buyers of Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro for Nikon Digital SLR Lens (Macro Lens) in the link posted above by snapshot2
most of them are pretty satisfied.

what if i go with this one and get a 50mm f/1.8 after some time?

Collapse -
Just a nod to the fixed 40 or 50mm lens.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 9, 2013 5:08 AM PDT

I went with the 40 since I found I couldn't always back up enough from the subject. So I opted for a 40. It's only f2.8 but seems to perform super.

Collapse -
Re : Best but cheap lens for Nikon d5200
by Harshada321 / June 11, 2013 6:12 PM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.