Cameras forum

Best budget digital camera for Europe?

by Lellen29 / March 1, 2013 7:12 AM PST

I need advice for the best budget priced camera to take to Paris. I would not mind an older model if it takes good pics. I am more of a sentimental photographer. I'm not one to just shoot scenery pics. I have a million of those and the only ones I end up liking are those that are great of the person standing in front if the scenery:) Features most important to me are decent battery life & good low light pics (I am one of those people that always seem to have the worst red-eyes at know, the ones that are the hardest to even edit out after the fact without looking like a black eyed demon?) Any good ones that have a flip screen for self portraits?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best budget digital camera for Europe?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best budget digital camera for Europe?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
None I know of.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2013 7:18 AM PST
Collapse -
Links to prior replies.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2013 7:24 AM PST
In reply to: None I know of.
Collapse -
(NT) So which we suggest b4 you read the low light par
by Lellen29 / March 1, 2013 7:39 AM PST
In reply to: None I know of.
Collapse -
Sorry mind going faster than I can type:)
by Lellen29 / March 1, 2013 7:40 AM PST

Which were you going to suggest before you read the part about low light?

Collapse -
2 answers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2013 7:43 AM PST
Collapse -
So after looking at the amazon link you provided...
by Lellen29 / March 1, 2013 8:32 AM PST
In reply to: 2 answers.

These are the best rated in my price range(which isn't much,lol) Which would you choose? Which might be the better at low light pics?

Sony Cyber-shot DSCW610
Panasonic Lumix SZ7
Panasonic Lumix SZ1

Collapse -
Of those, I'd read more about SZ7.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2013 8:50 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks Bob!
by Lellen29 / March 2, 2013 2:24 AM PST

...for all the great advice. I went with the SZ7...Call me paranoid, but the idea of geotagging my photos kinda creeps me out. Although it would be nice to know personally exactly where I was when a photo is taken, I'm uneasy about random others knowing exactly where I am/was. If that makes any sense.

Now to find the best SD card for the much storage should I buy for a 10 day trip if I plan on taking some video clips also? Is there any need to have more than 1 card? I am a bit confused about this bc I read somewhere that you are limited as to using no more than 4 GB of space on any SD card...If that's the case, then what's the use in ever buying anything higher than a 4GB card? Why would I pay for 8GB when I can only use 4 of it? Is this a marketing ploy? Shouldn't I just buy several 4GB cards?

Collapse -
Forget best for a moment here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2013 3:11 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Bob!

If the device takes the 32GB card, get that. I'm at the office so I'm surrounded by cameras, tablets and such. I'll pull out the cards and list the names.

HP 32GB SD card.
Sandisk 32GB MicroSD card in a SD adapter.
Patriot EP 32GB SD card.
My camera (DSLR) has a Transcend Class 10 32GB SD card.

Somewhere there's a 32GB AmazonBasics card in the office but it didn't show up in my few minute roundup to share this.

What is this? Prices crashed on these cards and if you get such from a reliable venue (I think all these were from Amazon) it's rarely any worry at all.

A last thought and a tip. Notice the MicroSD card in the SD adapter? Pretty cool as it can be re-used in a phone or other device.

Parting tip. When you get your card, use the camera's menus and format it in the camera to give yourself a clean fresh start.

Collapse -
Is this one any good?
by Lellen29 / March 1, 2013 8:43 AM PST
In reply to: 2 answers.
Collapse -
That's 99 bucks at walmart.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2013 8:53 AM PST
In reply to: Is this one any good?
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.