Camcorders

General discussion

Best budget camcorder for mainly audio.

by Neox22xx / June 11, 2010 9:46 AM PDT

Hey, I'm looking for a camcorder to record myself playing music and possibly a few live shows.
Video is important as well though, just not as much. Standard def is fine for me.
I know this makes it difficult, but I am on a very tight budget and can only afford up to about $200.
I've looked at the Zi8, Zoom Q3, and the Canon FS200. Would any of these be good, or are there better ones?
Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best budget camcorder for mainly audio.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best budget camcorder for mainly audio.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It depends on the audio level...
by boya84 / June 12, 2010 1:37 AM PDT

and where you place the mic(s).

All camcorders (and cameras that can capture/store video) have an automatic audio gain "feature". For "normal" audio levels, this works fine for most folks. Also, if there is a lot of space between the mic and the around source, keep in mind that all that "space" will contribute to what the mics can hear and ultimately what gets recorded to the camcorder/camera. Most low end cameras have no audio gain control.

If the audio is really loud, it is likely that the auto mic gain will be overwhelmed and the recorded audio will sound very muddy or perhaps even have a lot of static ("peaking"). This cannot be fixed after it is recorded.

In this case you should probably find a camcorder with some sort of manual audio control. There are two basic methods. First, there is a "limiting switch". Generally, this method has a menu selection for normal or high audio levels. For the few Sony camcorders that have this, look for "MicRefLevel"; for the few Canons, look for Mic Attenuation". I did not check the Zi8 or Q3, but the FS200 does not have the control (just check the camera's manual).

Even better would be more granular manual audio, but you won't find this in camcorder less than about $700, so that won't be covered here.

Another method is to get whatever camcorder you want, but also get a "field recorder" to record the audio. I like the Zoom H2 and H4, but there are lots of good ones out there from manufacturers like M-Audio, Tascam, Edirol, Sony... and a bunch of others. They all have manual audio control (on top of auto gain). The short version is that when you edit the video captured by the camcorder, import the audio from the field recorder, synch with the video, mute the audio captured by the camcorder... While this is an extra step to do the synch, an advantage to using this method allows the "spatial" properties of the audio to remain in one place (don't move it once the field recorder is placed, then it does not matter where the camcorder video is captured from - remember, if the camcorder moves, so do the built-in mics so the audio characteristics will change).

Collapse -
Samson Zoom Q3 - A Mini Camcorder with Superb Audio
by MiniCamcorders / June 13, 2010 11:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
Interesting...
by boya84 / June 13, 2010 12:11 PM PDT

Since the video is not important (as the original poster said) then the high-compression standard def video may be good enough. The manual
http://s3.amazonaws.com/samsontech/related_docs/Q3.pdf
shows it has "Low" and "High" audio sensitivity settings - and "Auto"... not the granular control of their audio recorders... but again, may be good enough. Does not look light low-light use on the video will work to well...

Good find!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.