Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps

General discussion

Best browser for old operating system

by louwho22 / March 16, 2010 9:36 AM PDT

My PC is a dinosaur with Windows ME and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6. I have been advised to download a different browser, or rather update to a different one. I do not know which browser would be compatable with my dinosaur. Also once I find a different browser, do I need to uninstall the old Microsoft IE?

My PC is a Compaq Presario 5000 Series, 20.0GB hard drive, Windows ME, 56K modem,(yes, with times as they are, my budget can only afford dial up) 192.0 MB Ram ( I increased the ram when I installed a burner years ago).

Please help!
Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best browser for old operating system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best browser for old operating system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you really need to use a different browser
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 16, 2010 10:12 PM PDT

I would try SeaMonkey. It is based on the older Netscape browser and may be compatible with Windows ME.
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

You would not have to do anything with your IE6. Windows will quite happily work with more than one browser installed and they will not interfere with each other.

However, I wonder if you need to do anything. It is true that Internet Explorer is considered the least secure of today's browsers but for an older operating system like ME the threat of viruses, malware, or hacking is diminished. Such malware writers are targeting the newer operating systems now. So as long as you take simple precautions, eg a firewall, an anti-virus, an anti-spyware, and be careful with your personal information, I would hazard a guess that you and your system will not be too bothered by such considerations.

Mark

Collapse -
browser for old system
by louwho22 / March 17, 2010 12:34 PM PDT

Thank you for the advice.
Yes, I use all the simple precautions to protect my system. But I was wondering if a different browser would help to run Yahoo mail and Facebook just a little bit faster. I know that dial-up is slow, but I use to be able to run through my yahoo email pretty quick for dial-up. Now it's so slow that I switched to another email server. When I log onto Facebook, I was advised to try another browser. Was that just advertising, or would another browser really help?

Collapse -
Well...
by John.Wilkinson / March 18, 2010 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: browser for old system

Dial-up speeds vary based on a number of factors, so the speed issue isn't direct related to IE6; another browser wouldn't give you a noticeable improvement. As to the recommendation, many sites do that since older browsers, especially IE6, do not support many web standards currently used by today's websites and also have numerous unpatched security flaws. Thus, they recommend upgrading, if possible, to secure your system and make sure that their site works as designed, something you'll increasing find problems with as you continue to use IE6.

-> Some popular sites are currently dropping support for IE6 users, despite them representing 22% of all internet users, resulting in them being partially or completely unusable.

John

Collapse -
Old Operating System
by louwho22 / March 20, 2010 10:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Well...

Thanks again for the help and advice.
Downloading another browser probably wouldn't hurt.
Thankyou again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.