Windows Vista forum

Question

Best browser for Facebook

by ssh49tn / December 31, 2011 6:38 AM PST

I play games on Facebook, & was using Google Chrome, but kept having flash crashes. I uninstalled my flash, because Chrome has it's own now, that apparently no one knows how to fix, but still had crashes. I uninstalled Chrome, & have installed Firefox, but now some of the games won't load. I re-installed Flashplayer 11. Any ideas??

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best browser for Facebook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best browser for Facebook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Only 2 ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2011 6:43 AM PST

1. DISABLE FLASH HARDWARE ACCELERATION

2. Flash does not crash on over a dozen machines here. To me this sounds like a PC issue and not a flash or software issue.

Collapse -
by ssh49tn / December 31, 2011 9:06 AM PST
In reply to: Only 2 ideas.

There are at least 100 posts at their site about it crashing, so it is definitely NOT a PC issue. Chrome has recently added their own flash to their browser, & if you have Adobe Flash installed, you really have a problem. And, it only happens on certain games on Facebook, & once in a while on a couple that I play on AOL.

Collapse -
There are some millions of PCs out there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2011 11:39 AM PST
In reply to: Reply

And you only found 100 posts about this.

Again, all good here so I'd try another PC. There are folk that can't get over this and will maintain that it's some browser, flash or "a simple software setting."

After meeting such folk I nod and help them as best I can hoping for them to catch on that it sometimes is something else like a dirty heat sink, bad fan or other infection.

-> Did you try the setting I noted?
Bob

Collapse -
flash crash
by ssh49tn / January 1, 2012 4:27 AM PST

If this had been going on for a while, I would think it was a PC problem, but this just started a couple of weeks ago. And, their site also acknowledges that there IS a problem of some sort. I have uninstalled Google, & it is a lot better than it was. I haven't tried your suggestion yet, but will when I have time to actually mess with it. I have to work tonight, 3rd shift, so should have time to try it out.

Collapse -
Odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2012 4:39 AM PST
In reply to: flash crash

I read your reply and it sounds as if you are unaware of the issue and setting I noted. It's a common thing you see at the shops so I wonder if you are not out there (that is, in the PC repair business.) That could explain why you didn't flip the setting at the first sign of flash troubles.
Bob

Collapse -
flash
by ssh49tn / January 1, 2012 4:53 AM PST
In reply to: Odd.

You're right! I couldn't find anything for the flash acceleration. LOL! I am not a complete dunce on computers, but also not a techie either. But, like I said, at Chrome's website, there are a LOT of complaints about the flash player. One thing is that Chrome has recently installed their own flash player, so of course, mine I had installed & theirs were not very compatible. I deleted my flash, but still had a few problems. I finally uninstalled Chrome completely, & installed Firefox Mozilla, & it is a lot better than it was. I had to reinstall my flash, of course. It only happens on some games that I play on Facebook, & once in a while, on some of my AOL games. Thanks for your input though!

Collapse -
flash
by ssh49tn / January 1, 2012 4:57 AM PST
In reply to: Odd.

Nope, I have no idea what that was, & couldn't locate anything like it on my laptop. While I'm not a complete dunce, (I know there's not an 'any' key, lol!) I am not a techie either. If you tell me more about this, how to find it, etc, then I'll try it, & see if it helps. Also, this ONLY happens on some games that I play on Facebook, & a couple of AOL games. Most others don't give me that 'flash has stopped responding.'

Collapse -
Adobe Flash test
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 1, 2012 7:11 AM PST
In reply to: flash

Go to this site; http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ to test your Flash browser plugin.

It should work, but the purpose of going there is this; right click the Flash display area and select Settings. Find, "Enable hardware acceleration" and disable it.

Of late a lot of problems with Flash players in browsers is down to this setting. That one setting should amend all the browsers you have installed, (its a one step solution and no need to repeat it), but if you install another browser and install Flash on that, you may have to change that setting in that browser.

Mark

Collapse -
Flash
by ssh49tn / January 1, 2012 1:14 PM PST
In reply to: Adobe Flash test

Ok, I found it, & disabled it. I'll let you know how it works!

Collapse -
Answer
No similar troubles here
by C1ay / January 2, 2012 12:33 AM PST

I use chrome on Linux (w/ XFCE and Gnome), Win2000, WinXP and Win7 because of the consistent behavior across platforms and haven't experienced any of your troubles on any of my boxes.

Collapse -
Flash crash
by ssh49tn / January 2, 2012 3:26 AM PST

I had never had a problem with the flash until just about a month ago. Chrome did some kind of update to their flash or something, & that's when it started. I didn't even know they had their own flash. I use internet explorer some too, but with Facebook, some of the games don't work with I.E., just Chrome or Firefox. I tried the disabling the acceleration thing, & no crashes, but Facebook seems to be really slow now. And, not having problems is what one other guy said. But, at the Chrome site, when you type in flash player crashes, there are a LOT of complaints on there about it. I had said at least 100, but there may be more. Of course, in some instances, I'm sure it's a computer problem, but when you haven't had any problems at all with it, & then out of no where it starts, something has gone haywire somewhere. And, I just ran the AOL program that fixes your drives, registers, etc, & had any problems that my system had fixed.

Collapse -
Answer
Chrome with Facebook sucks!
by Tyiarramarie / March 13, 2013 11:30 AM PDT

I dont have a PC issue but I do have a Flash Crashes with Chrome only when using Facebook. This has been an ongoing thing for over a year, their patches have NOT fixed their crashes and Im looking for a new browser that wont crash on facebook.

Ive read all the posts here, and I dont know about the first person that wrote in but my problem is not with the computer. I have 6 computers here ranging from a month old and year old, they all crash using Chrome when on facebook!! I run Windows 7 and 8 here, all my computers are up to date and clean.

I will let you know when I find a working browser!

Collapse -
Here We Try Two Things First...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 14, 2013 12:18 PM PDT

1. Uninstall, then reinstall the latest version of Flash using the instructions below:

First, uninstall Flash by using the Flash Uninstaller at the link below..
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14157

After that's done, then download the appropriate manual Flash player installer from the link below. If running two browsers, you may need both installers.

Flash Player for IE 32& 64 bit:
http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/support/install_flash_player_ax.exe

Flash Player for Non-IE browser (Opera, Firefox etc):
http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/support/install_flash_player.exe

2. If that doesn't fix it, then we disable Hardware Acceleration like this:

First, check if you can see the Flash animation (banner) without the system crashing at:
http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Don't worry, it's not a video, it shouldn't crash -- if it does, this won't fix your issue. If it works without crashing, right-click on the Flash animation (banner) and uncheck "Enable hardware acceleration" from the Settings panel. You should now be able to view the various Flash videos without crashing the computer.

And on Windows 7 computers, some folks are finding relief for your issue in Internet Explorer, by opening the Control Panel-Internet Options-Advanced tab.. Once there, place a CHECK mark in the box next to "Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering", then click on "apply", then OK.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.