Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Best browser for 64 bit WIndows 7 ?

by Fubar02 / January 30, 2010 12:46 AM PST

I love using Firefox with XP. Evidently there is not yet a Firefox version for 64 bit systems. Does anyone know of an alternate browser from IE 8 for 64 bit that works well with Win7?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best browser for 64 bit WIndows 7 ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best browser for 64 bit WIndows 7 ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Strange.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 31, 2010 4:09 AM PST

I'm using Firefox now on my Windows 7 64 bit OS.

It seems OK to me, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
agree
by HernandezDK / December 3, 2011 8:01 AM PST
In reply to: Strange.

Firefox is the best browser out there. Chrome is closing up though.

Collapse -
Seamonkey and Chrome here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2010 4:13 AM PST

Fantastic!

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks....trying Chrome
by Fubar02 / February 1, 2010 12:24 AM PST
Collapse -
Use the 32-bit version...
by John.Wilkinson / February 2, 2010 2:47 AM PST

One problem with 64-bit browsers is that a lot of common plug-ins, including Flash Player, do not exist. Since you can run 32-bit software on a 64-bit version of Windows, why not? At this time, the cons still outweigh the pros in the case of browsers.

John

Collapse -
Adobe Updates
by n9uic / October 31, 2010 1:58 AM PDT

I have been checking the Adobe web site often and they now have a 64 bit flash version.
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html
You can get one just for Explorer or for other browsers Windows and Linux.
I have only been using it for about a 2 days now but seems to work so far.
Jason

Collapse -
browser for Win 7
by bblakerstyle / February 5, 2010 9:44 AM PST

I use Google Chrome and it works just fine.

Collapse -
google chrome on win7 64bit
by vishnu2864 / August 12, 2011 2:20 AM PDT
In reply to: browser for Win 7

google chrome crashes frequently on win7 64bit

Collapse -
(NT) Mine doesn't.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 13, 2011 9:45 PM PDT
Collapse -
google chrome on win7 64bit
by Christher / November 7, 2011 2:03 AM PST

No ****..!
Chrome sux Silly

Try Maxthon! ;D

Collapse -
chrome
by michaelhickling / November 16, 2011 4:22 AM PST

running chrome, ie9 and firefox

chrome 10/10
ie9 9/10
firefox 7/10

ie9 much better than ie8 but chrome is flawless
im running an asus i7 x58 runs like a dream
from cold start to opening chrome takes 11 seconds!
ie9 adds 6 seconds!
but still good

no glitches with either chrome or ie9

Collapse -
chrome and win 7 64bit
by thegeek253 / February 17, 2012 12:58 PM PST

im looking for a new browser cause google chrome crashes constantly!

Collapse -
There are many to choose from.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2012 1:06 AM PST
In reply to: chrome and win 7 64bit

But as you read this discussion you slowly realize their machine has other issues. It was not a browser issue.

Collapse -
64-bit
by Acaykath / February 5, 2010 11:15 AM PST

You do not need to run a 64-bit browser on your 64-bit windows. 32-bit browsers still work, albeit with an unnoticeable performance hit. Personally I am a big fan of using Google Chrome, but IE and FireFox work as well. Whatever browser you choose, keep it updated, and browse safe. The majority of infections etc are caused by un-patched systems and user-stupidity.

Collapse -
Best browser for Windows 7
by ronyh.gray / February 5, 2010 2:38 PM PST

I have been using Mozilla Firefox for a number of years, during this time my computers, approx 4 have been 32bit. When I bought this one - Windows 7 64bit, I installed Firefox, along with a number of other 32bit programs easily & I might add with great success, so have no worries - go for ir.

ronyh.gray NZ

Collapse -
chrome or zinc
by PanthersClaws4 / February 5, 2010 3:01 PM PST

while i have noticed that any browser seems to work just fine on 64 bit windows (i have vista) i like chrome for speed and love zinc for the video --- if you don't know zinc i suggest checking it out esp if you watch a lot of videos/tv on your pc

Collapse -
Thanks!
by democidist / July 10, 2010 3:37 PM PDT
In reply to: chrome or zinc

Yeah I use and like Chrome too but I'm glad I know about zinc now. It'll be so nice watching shows from stations that don't support hulu as well as shows that are on hulu all in one central location. Happy

Collapse -
64 bit Browser
by micker377 / February 5, 2010 4:25 PM PST

F.F. does make a 64 bit browser. It is codenamed "Namorka". It works fine, is much faster, but NO YouTube! YouTube requires Flash in F.F. There is NO 64 bit Flash! So, back to the standard 32 bit F.F.! If you do experiment with Namorka, be sure to back-up everything first! When you uninstall Namorka, you also remove all your settings for 32 bit F.F.! Be sure to use FEBE!!!!

Collapse -
My 2 cents
by oxfamqc / February 5, 2010 8:25 PM PST

I whole embrace Opera as my main webbrowser - it's fast, full of options and always has been an innovative browser. Have a look! www.opera.com

Collapse -
Thanks for all the replies.
by Fubar02 / February 6, 2010 1:42 AM PST

Thank you all. It seems as though it was an easy one to answer, for it doesn't even seem to have been worth asking! Good education, however; so t.u.

Collapse -
Good Browsers
by Elljl / February 6, 2010 2:33 AM PST

I would recommend, like most others here, you use a 32-bit version of F.F. as it will work on 64-bit AND it will have plugins available. I would also recommend Sea Monkey (only because it is a full internet suite for free).

Collapse -
I need this answer too
by tomtotom1 / February 6, 2010 10:20 AM PST

I would like to know how it`s done...

Collapse -
Explain more please?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 6, 2010 6:29 PM PST
In reply to: I need this answer too

How what is done?

Choose a browser to try, download it, install it, and test.

That's how it works.

But perhaps I have misunderstood your problem?

Mark

Collapse -
FF is fine, Safari not
by Razzl / February 7, 2010 9:33 PM PST

I'm using Firefox on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine and it works just fine. I like playing around with browsers and so far have only had problems with Safari, which also caused me problems on 32-bit Windows Vista and Windows XP, so I just stopped using it.

My HP computer came with IE8 for both 32- and 64-bit, but I stopped using the 64-bit because as others have said there were too many video players that didn't work with it and I couldn't see any important difference in speed. Once you become accustomed to some of the visual differences (the Linux- like triangles you have to click to open folders in a tree, the Office ribbon menus), Windows 7 is an attractive environment for the desktop and and works more intuitively than past Windows...

Collapse -
Firefox 64 bit
by tektom / January 7, 2011 10:47 AM PST

Firefox has 64 bit version in development called Minefield. Only issues so far are no flash player is available, not alot of video that will display, and plugins

Collapse -
I agree
by chaosenergy1990 / May 30, 2011 2:25 AM PDT

I agree. I have stopped using Google Chrome, since it fell over when i was doing something important and never worked again. And I tried firefox 32 on my X64 windows 7 pc and that has a bug, that means you have to manually go into task manager and stop the process and restart firefox if you want to use it twice in the same windows session.... bizarre....

Collapse -
Flash 64 Bit preview
by TWB404 / May 30, 2011 3:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
minefield
by adilnajeeb / June 3, 2011 4:51 PM PDT

minefield is the best ! you get x64 flash plugins also from adobe..its way far better than usual firefox,chrome nd iE..try it

Collapse -
We never recommend ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 3, 2011 5:00 PM PDT
In reply to: minefield

"normal" users to use development versions in their normal environment.

Kees

Collapse -
Browsers forum: Best browser for 64 bit WIndows 7
by sharetips1 / June 20, 2011 9:48 PM PDT

I'm using Google Chrome. The best browser out there! Fast and reliable. I
haven't given Opera 10 a shot yet, but it seems like it's got great
support with Win 7. Cool

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.