Networking & Wireless

General discussion

Best Broadband Wireless Internet for Laptop Travel??

by boroc7 / December 31, 2008 5:06 AM PST

Does anybody know what the fastest and most consistent traveling wireless internet service provider and device is?

I use a MacBook Pro, and do a bit of travel, and I was thinking of purchasing one of Verizon Wireless' BroadbandAccess Devices EVDO (I think it's 3g). They're saying you get 600kbps-1.4mbps, and their monthly rates are like $60 a month.

I have to do some presentations while I travel (sometimes in places with no wifi), and these presentations include live web demonstrations with video. Video would be the problem in terms of speed.

Anyhow, I was wondering if anybody knew of any other plans/packages/companies out there who could help with this thing other than Verizon's, and what their experience has been.

Thanks so much!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Broadband Wireless Internet for Laptop Travel??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Broadband Wireless Internet for Laptop Travel??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We have a sales person and...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2008 5:26 AM PST

They subscribe to 4 services and carry the matching 4 broadband dongles. It's a multimillion dollar deal thing so the monthly costs are never an issue. The issue is simple. You will find one works here but not there. In this case this traveler crosses the US-CAN boundary.

Oh for the days where you didn't demand a live connection for a demo.
Bob

Collapse -
searching for temporary bb access while travelling-Mac user
by lorihiggins22 / January 3, 2009 2:54 PM PST

Hi- did you get an answer to your question? I'm on a business trip this month and staying in a rental that does NOT have a a landline phone or internet , I'm a mac powerbook user and will need internet for 3-4weeks only- ANY suggestions??

Collapse -
need temporary internet access!
by lorihiggins22 / January 3, 2009 2:55 PM PST

I'm going on a business trip this month and staying in a rental that does NOT have a a landline phone or internet , I'm a mac powerbook user and will need internet for 3-4weeks only- ANY suggestions??

Collapse -
wireless Internet for your laptop
by scorpionking1907 / July 7, 2010 12:33 PM PDT

you can go www.Biongo.com is only $ 9.95 a month,you can connect to they Hotspot,check it out

Collapse -
Verizon is better/Sprint works well in larger cities
by Mark Schenkel / February 1, 2009 11:54 AM PST

I think Verizon has the more extensive network in terms of reach/coverage in rural areas. But if your use will be limited to larger metropolitan areas Sprint works great too. I think as long as you are on their 3G networks the speed is more or less the same. The important thing is to make sure the 3G is offered in the area of use. The carriers usually make maps available for this.

I have used both from a rental company called http://www.rovair.com. If you only need an aircard for a limited number of trips per year, this might be a solution for you. Sure beats paying $60/month for two years.

Collapse -
did my presentation
by boroc7 / February 1, 2009 1:09 PM PST

FYI, I got the Verizon broadband card and it worked like a charm for my presentation in Myrtle Beach. I was showing live streaming video to hundreds of people, and it didn't fail me. I was very pleased with the speed.

On the other hand, trying to get a month-by-month or their daypass set up is a serious pain in the rear because of how they're set up in trying to get you to do a one or two year contract. Many of them didn't even know how to get you set up without one of those contracts, which is what I didn't want. Then because it wasn't a cell phone, they couldn't get me an online account to manage it, because to get a password they only do it by sending you a text. If you don't have a phone, how would you get the text? It's amazing how these corporations work at times.

Despite all that, once you're going, it works great. For my use, it was working better than the AT&T cards some colleagues had.

Collapse -
Was posting to another thread and noticed your's...
by mrgardon / February 2, 2009 7:02 AM PST

Update on Cricket - New!
by mrgardon - 2/2/09 2:32 PM In reply to: What are my options of wireless internet? by smedby

Ordered cricket on the 27th, got it on the 30th via FedExp, quick shipping I thought. Installed the software and plugged in the modem and the damn thing worked. Since then it's been all down hill. Constant cut offs and speeds ranging from 36kbs to 300kbs believe I saw 900kbs one time in a couple of days now. Getting cut off 2,3-8 minutes regularly according to a very fine log they provide with the software. Expanding on the through put, which is everything you send to the net and everything it sends back to you - I come up with 7-8 GB per month. Their limit is 5GB. Suspect I've been on a bit more than usual testing things out but following blogs as I do means a lot of up/down loading of pix and clips. Since this is my first experience with BroadBand I'm really-really disappointed. Thinking of hanging in for the rest of the month and seeing how it goes... well maybe at lest the rest of the week.
Further Note: Just getting to this forum took 5 minutes and never got past 51 kbs. Well guess I should be glad they didn't cut me off for nearly 10 minutes now, huh?

Just did a cut/paste up there but I'd be real careful of any claims of speed or unlimited use.

Collapse -
Wireless broadband works with cell towers
by ghettovision / February 5, 2009 2:47 PM PST

My suggestion is to go the major wireless carriers websites and check their 3g coverage as all you need it a cell tower nearby to work and one that has been upgrade to support 3g. So take a look at your travel plans for the next few months and a look at the major wireless carriers coverage and go with the carrier with the best 3g coverage for data.

Collapse -
wireless
by scorpionking1907 / July 7, 2010 12:37 PM PDT

Why? you want spend for $ 60 a month for wireless Internet,you could go to
www.clear.com it's only cost you about $ 40 dollars a month with Unlimited Usage,it very fast 4G

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.