TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Best Blu Ray between LG570, Samsung BD-C6500, Sony BDP-S570

by jlj93byu / April 16, 2010 12:47 AM PDT

They all seem pretty primary area of focus with the three is what will output the best audio and the best picture. In terms of bonus features, again they seem fairly similar. I will be purchasing a top notch sound system, most likely the Onkyo S9100 THX, so need the best in terms of audio decoding.

And about the bonus features, does one have a particular feature that actually IS worth making an important consideration for because it is so unique or effective and worthwhile?

Any advice no matter how detailed or brief is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Blu Ray between LG570, Samsung BD-C6500, Sony BDP-S570
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Blu Ray between LG570, Samsung BD-C6500, Sony BDP-S570
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your player won't be doing the decoding. The Onkyo will.
by minimalist / April 16, 2010 3:29 AM PDT

You'll be bitsreaming the audio to the receiver in its raw digital form over HDMI. So in a way, the audio quality of the player is mute. I'd focus more on video quality and streaming features.

Collapse -
I'm having the quandry
by ironandsteel / December 2, 2010 11:08 AM PST

I've narrowed my search down to those three as well. Actually, I knocked out Samsung because of reports of unreliability of the disc playback. This is a pretty big deal for me- it has to be reliable. Maybe these reports are unfounded- dunno.

I really like the open aspect of Samsung Apps- I'm a sw developer and I think one could theoretically develop one's own app. And maybe there will be lots of thrid party apps.

Hopefully there is a similar open dev environment for the Sony and LG units- dunno.

I've been sort of a bit soured on Sony over recent years- I used to consider them the best- now, it seems they are more proprietary and not really higher quality. I have some Sony a/v receivers that have the worst user interface imaginable- I just want to throttle the "designer". Still, I like the BDP570.

I've heard pretty much nothing but good about LG in general, and the BD570 has great reviews. That is probably what I'll go with, unless I find a compelling reason to go with the Sony. I think the Sony offers more online apps- not sure.

Curiously, yesterday, both Crutchfield and Amazon were offering the LG BD570 for $114 & free shipping- out of stock til after xmas tho. The deal seems to be gone now.

For basically twice the money of these (~$300) you can get a PS3 and get all the cool stuff it has to offer- but I need to spend less time on my butt- not more!!

Collapse -
by Dan Filice / December 2, 2010 1:07 PM PST

I''ve used a number of BR players, and at one time I was reluctant to buy a Sony (even though I own a PS3 which is great). I had trouble with a few brands playing discs, even Panasonic which I held in the highest regard, then I broke down and bought a Sony. It plays everything. I'm very happy. And I saw one of the latest Sony 3-D BR players at Costco for $129. You don't need 3-D, but it will have the latest everything. It also connects to the Internet wirelessly like my PS3 without the special Sony adapter that my other Sony BR needs. I guess Sony finally figured it out. I'd get the Sony in a heartbeat. After all, they were the primary company building BR players. so they know a thing or two about the format.

Collapse -
Where's the value in a CNET Review?
by mannyfreshington / December 15, 2010 3:34 PM PST
In reply to: Sony

I've been reading the forums on blu ray problems, first for the bunk samsung I bought, but now I want to see if the one I have in mind to replace it might be just as bad. Then it hit me, why are we sufferers left to hack it out amongst ourselves when we should be finding out this information from CNET reviews in the first place? I remember when CNET was the bomb, particularly reviews & downloads, but like all good things on the internet, they just got pimped out by the advertising/marketing and now just give powder puff reviews for the lame.

Collapse -
Go Panavision
by stockyjoe / December 24, 2010 11:20 PM PST

I still think the standard Panny's (Panavision) players are simply the best for providing a quality image and "up-converting" as well as audio. Nothing buggy about them.

Collapse -
Panasonics ARE buggy
by Dan Filice / December 25, 2010 1:03 AM PST
In reply to: Go Panavision

I have two Panny BR players and two regular Panny DVD players. They all will not play certain regular DVD discs. From what I've read on various forums, no Panny players play these discs. My two Sony BR players play all discs as does my PS3. I've always had great faith in Panasonic players, but my bubble burst after these problems. The only solution Panasonic offered was to update the firmware. This did't work and I offered to send Panasonic my discs their players don't play because I wanted the problem fixed, but they just kept replying "Update firmware". But my Panasonic Plasma TV is fantastic, so I haven't totally given up on the Panasonic ship yet.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.