How To forum

Question

Best backup practices?

by KyleODonn / February 23, 2014 11:11 PM PST

With all the ongoing discussion of backups and their importance, I was hoping someone could give a list of backup policies, programs, cloud services, etc. that I should be using.
I use a backup program to backup my files to a NAS RAID 1 setup weekly. I recently had one of the drives get corrupted so I replaced it but it made me realize that there was no further protection if the NAS died.
I would like to explore the option of having those files backed up to cloud storage to protect against flood, fire, etc., ruining my files.
In the end, what I am most concerned about is pictures. The rest of the files don't need to be backed up beyond the NAS but the photos can't be replaced.
I think most of us who follow these forums could use a simple, step-by-step backup tutorial. Something that we can all follow and implement to the degree that we are concerned; those who just want a simple backup to those who, like me, are terrified of losing files forever.
Any help would be appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best backup practices?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best backup practices?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
backups
by TimWElder / February 25, 2014 7:03 AM PST
In reply to: Best backup practices?

I have been using Acronis purchased thru Gene Barlow. A friend from the computer support group recommends the free program GFI, which seems easier to use based on his presentation.

Collapse -
Answer
Best backup practices?
by pauly1651 / February 25, 2014 7:35 AM PST

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there really is no completely perfect, risk free way to back up anything.
However, to be reasonably safe, I use multiple back up hard drives to store and save documents and pictures. I have one external drive that I have set up through Windows 7, to do a complete backup of my "C" drive once a week. I also manually transfer all my data to 2 other separate hard drives as redundant back up storage drives. Cloud storage? I do not like the idea of storing and saving any of my personal data to the cloud or any other online storage place.
In addition to all of this, I have a home network with multiple PC's, and I also store data on those other PC's as well.
But nothing is perfect and if you are "terrified" about losing some personal stuff, then get a fire proof safe, and put all your stuff on disks or a hard drive, and store it in the safe.

Collapse -
Fireproof safe or...
by EscapePod / February 27, 2014 6:17 AM PST

... safety deposit box at your bank. Note: that should be in addition to a local copy that you can access quickly.

pauly1651 summed up the best recommendations perfectly.

Collapse -
Answer
Go old school
by omega_61 / February 26, 2014 6:59 PM PST

Once your prints are done at Walgreens, put them in a zip-lock bag and place them in your safe deposit box at the bank.
If you have a digital-fetish, scan them to a DVD and put the DVD in a zip-lock bag and place it in your safe deposit box at the bank.
Remember, if it's an easy solution - it probably won't last.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.