PC Applications

Question

Best backup plan for the future?

by tfarney / March 2, 2013 8:26 AM PST

About 3 years ago I purchased a Seagate Free Agent Desk 1.5 T external drive and installed the Seagate manager software.
It would NOT recognize its own source drive. I contacted Seagate reinstalled several times in my Dell XPS 720 Win XP pro, following instructions to the letter.
Frustrated, I purchased a verbatim 1 T external drive for backup. That drive had Nero BACKITUP 4. That software asked permission and ran several backups on the Seagate.
The XPS went south and I went to a new HPWin8.
The fun began.
Seagate won't run on Win8 (so what is the use of their software backup software system?)
Nero will only restore 5 files at a time .
Thankfully the HDDs are intact and I could upload files via an external case and USB.
Please explain the theory of Backup and proprietary software that is not supported in the future when the computer dies and is replaced, and what is truly the best automatic as possible paradigm/system for me, a user but not a dedicated computer person?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best backup plan for the future?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best backup plan for the future?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I hear you. Try the free Easeus program
by wpgwpg / March 2, 2013 8:58 AM PST

I had the same experience with Norton Ghost 15, so now I'm using the free Easeus Todo Backup Free program which works amazingly well. You can download it from http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm . The March 2012 issue of PC World was very high on the FREE program from Easeus and so is CNET. In my experience with a variety of configurations I have to say I'm very impressed. Like Ghost it will back up to a networked drive, and it will create a boot CD for when your PC won't boot. See CNET's review of it at
http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Todo-Backup-Free/3000-2242_4-10964460.html?tag=mncol;1#editorsreview .

Good luck.

Collapse -
Lesson learned
by tfarney / March 16, 2013 3:48 AM PDT

I have learned my lesson. Backup programs provided by backup hardware vendors are invalid in general and particularly when the primary system fails.
I would hope I could find the best option as seen by the futurists here @ cnet

Collapse -
Answer
partition wizard
by Yaybo66 / April 1, 2013 5:37 PM PDT

just downloaded partition wizard from cnet. very useful tool.

Collapse -
Answer
I think a third party software will do the help
by Judynet / April 15, 2013 11:15 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.