Networking & Wireless forum

Question

best available algo for data transfer in LAN and its con

by IUSHARIEFF / January 23, 2013 3:47 PM PST
Hi, i m a newbee in LAN networking so i need to know which is the best available algo for data transfer and its cons and i want to know how to program LAN for video communications
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: best available algo for data transfer in LAN and its con
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: best available algo for data transfer in LAN and its con
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: algorithms
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 23, 2013 4:10 PM PST

That's a nice question, but impossible to answer in a few sentences. But doesn't Windows already have the means to access a file on a remote PC via shares and copying it? That's all the average user needs.

Of course, it's different for a programmer. He has to take courses and study books to accomplish what he wants.

Kees

Collapse -
Hello
by IUSHARIEFF / January 24, 2013 11:57 PM PST
In reply to: Re: algorithms

thank you , pardon me can you be a bit more clear about the programming part, is it sooo difficult to program a LAN for video communication , i played a Counter Strike using LAN when that can be done why not video communication, please help

Collapse -
Answer
Good question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 12:22 AM PST

Part of my work involved surveillance DVRs and we push video across the LAN. But I fear that there are more considerations than "best" because there are other design factors.

My advice is to get it to work first. Some folk forget that a working version is worth far more than the best design.
Bob

Collapse -
CLARIFICATION
by IUSHARIEFF / January 24, 2013 11:53 PM PST
In reply to: Good question.

Thank you for your response, i m into trying out to build a network of LANs and implement video chat like a private network for an organization , Can you give me some references to go through in this regard

Collapse -
Not really.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2013 12:02 AM PST
In reply to: CLARIFICATION

There are plenty of web articles and the longer you write code and design systems the better you get at this. Once in a while someone thinks it can be condensed into a paragraph. Not yet.

It's a big subject that if I would put together a curriculum should span the usual 4 years of college then a few more covering networks and video.
Bob

Collapse -
Request an honest suggestion from you
by IUSHARIEFF / January 26, 2013 5:09 PM PST
In reply to: Not really.

Please help me out ,honestly speaking i want to implement it as a project of mine, i have a thought of doing it in 3 to 4 months of which i m in a dilemma that it might not be enough if i start it from scratch i know languages like c,c++,c#,java and i saw some code which implemented the LAN chat messenger with the help of port addresses and i thought why not enhance it with a video chat feature but hearing various replies i m a bit confused of taking it or not Happy please suggest me whether to choose this as a project or not and i have a very short span for trying it out Confused

Collapse -
Why not learn as you go?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2013 2:10 AM PST

You have 3 or 4 months and it sounds like you need a partner to work with you on your project. You'll want one that has written code for at least a decade. Do you have such folk that will work with you?
Bob

Collapse -
THE CREW IN MY TEAM
by IUSHARIEFF / January 27, 2013 11:27 AM PST

i have a friend of same experience of about 2 years as me , my bro in law has 5 years in coding, i have heard there is a language called "racket" if i m not wrong is used in these networking and i cant afford to learn it now, must implement it in java . I must give it a clear shot and if any help is needed while coding i can ask you too so please tell me what to do next like an overview of things that might be needed, i m ready with eclipse and java concepts and about LAN i thought of a reference on java networking but there is a little topic discussed about LAN,do you know any references please do tell me

Collapse -
You may want to get to a Coding Forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 1:03 AM PST
In reply to: THE CREW IN MY TEAM
Collapse -
Second thought.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 1:18 AM PST
In reply to: THE CREW IN MY TEAM

To do this in JAVA seems to counter what your goal was. Since you were looking for some "best" I think you would avoid all interpretive languages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpreted_language writes "The main disadvantage of interpreting is a much slower speed of program execution compared to direct machine code execution on the host CPU. A technique used to improve performance is just-in-time compilation which converts frequently executed sequences of interpreted instruction to host machine code."

Since we might be talking about video or near real time work, your idea of using JAVA seems to run counter to your goals.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.