Spyware, Viruses, & Security

Question

Best antivirus for Win7 between Norton 360 and Mcafee

by flyngtiger79 / February 15, 2012 2:47 AM PST

I just purchased a Dell XPS 15 and the system came with a watered down version of Mcafee Security center. I have always been a Norton AV user. My PC died in 2007 and when I moved in with my girlfriend we shared her desktop running XP. In 2010 I upgraded her AV to Norton 360v5 and have had no issues. Her system was already a slow running system so I never noticed any performance difference in the upgrade. I now have my own laptop with Win 7 and a 2.4Ghz Dual Core processor with 8Gb RAM. I also know that some AV programs can hog the system and slow it down, but I am now more concerned with security than slowing downand they system since I will be setting up a wireless network. I need to know if I should try and upgrade the Mcafee, switch to Norton 360v5, or is there really a better option than either of them. I will be going live with the network in 2 days. If I don't get any advice by them I'm going with my gut and Norton 360v5. I am not opposed to removing that latter for a better option if one is reccomended, and someone can provide me with a way of completely removing Norton's footprint from my Win 7 registry.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best antivirus for Win7 between Norton 360 and Mcafee
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best antivirus for Win7 between Norton 360 and Mcafee
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Go with what you arte happy with
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 15, 2012 3:16 AM PST

There's no easy definitive comparisons between Norton and McAfee, nor between any others, except reviews, which often come to different conclusions, and personal opinions that are always different, so my own advice would be to go with what you are most comfortable with.

For example I have ZoneAlarm and have used it for years. It may not be a favorite, but I know it and am happy with it.

One thing about Norton, and if I remember rightly, with McAfee. Norton in particular has it's own System Protection component which may turn of the Windows System Restore feature. With your knowledge of Norton I apologise if you knew that already.

Might not have been a bad thing with XP and below, but Windows 7s System Restore is a lot better than for the older versions and is now very useful. You may want to consider turning the Norton security feature off if you decide on that. I wish i could remember if McAfee has this as well.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
I agree with Mark. As far as...
by Carol~ Forum moderator / February 15, 2012 3:54 AM PST

flyingtiger..

I agree with Mark, in that you should go with what you're comfortable with. Or as you stated "go with your gut".

As far as completely removing Norton from your system, (should you decide to try McAfee) take advantage of the "Norton Removal Tool". (Another link for the tool)

As has been said in the past, in the end no matter the security software, your safety will ultimately depend upon you.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Answer
None of the above
by Azraelsrl / February 17, 2012 10:21 PM PST

Choosing between these two is like choosing between the devil and the hell fire. Ditch both and move to a much better one - Avast or Avira. And here's the kicker: they are both free for home use.

Collapse -
exactly - none of the above
by tiffanydw2 / August 14, 2012 3:49 PM PDT
In reply to: None of the above

both norton and mcaffee are trash. they make their money by pre-installing on ready to use pc's. when you buy a new pc, unfortunately, you have to go thru and set it up the RIGHT way yourself. unless you have to pay for someone else to do - which is total CRAP. every pc i have worked on w/ a v has been obtained via these two. until recently, in all my 20 some years, i've had 2 v's get past avg. when the 2nd got past and it it's a huge one, i ditched avg and went avast! they catch it, altho they dont FIX it. so that kinda sucks. but at least they catch it. i still have a ton of manual removal work to do on this one. but i'll never go back. i let avg have their chance. but norton and mac affee are all i've ever had brought into me, as a tech, to fix up what THEY missed. their v definitions are too slow as is their ability to detect and even fix them.

another great thing about open source sftwr like avast! - you have programmers around the world working on it. like the unix/linux vr microsoft debate. if you allow the geniuses worldwide to work on and polish up and update your product rather than the idjiots you just hired from techie school, youre going to have a MUCH better product. support open source whenever you can! not to mention youre throwing your money away on either norton or mcaffee. avast!'s freeware is the BEAST! cannot sing enough praises for it!

two things you should know:

1. you CAN install avast! as a back up to w/e you are using. you can ONLY do this during install and you MUST do this if running another av.
2. it comes by default w/ an audio voice telling you every single stupid thing. that's annoying and shocking if youre falling asleep at the keyboard. LOL go into settings and turn it off. i kept the audio on for only serious threats. eventually, they will default it to that, i'm sure. your feedback is actually LISTENED TO w/ them. whereas the big 2 could give a hoot less.

if youre going to insist on paying for the crap of the BIG 2, then at least back it up w/ avast! download the free vr from cnet's download.com but REMEMBER TO INSTALL IT AS A BACK UP. if you forget, it's not the end of the world. just uninstall and reinstall the correct way. man. i hate the big 2. but then again, they give me tons of work Wink

tiff

Collapse -
Answer
In My OPINION...
by Flatworm / February 18, 2012 12:33 AM PST

Newer versions of Norton (2010 and up) seem to have a smaller footprint than McAfee and, for older systems, is less of a burden on overall performance. Older versions of Norton, however, would slow older systems to a crawl all by itself.

Unless you're actually going to use its additional features, I would (and in fact do) go with Norton Internet Security 2012 rather than Norton 360. Sometimes you can get three-machine licenses for NIS as low as $19.99 at various price clubs. Then when your one-year license expires, just go back to the price club and buy new disks -- it's MUCH cheaper than renewing the license with Norton.

On an older computer, footprint becomes more critical. For my oldest machines still running XP I like Panda (free and the smallest footprint in the industry) and Avira (also free) -- I switch between the two depending on my whim.

Collapse -
Answer
Best antivirus for Win7 between Norton 360 and Mcafee
by Carseela / February 23, 2012 2:22 PM PST

To be honest i do not like both antivirus software . I have used both and i was not satisified. Now i personally use Comodo and i am satified with the product. As Mark said , we should be comfortable with the products what we like.

Collapse -
I, too use Comodo A/V
by Darrell / February 27, 2012 5:59 AM PST

but there is some doing for it. At the bottom it has Custom Install, I had to uncheck three items for just the A/V. Them there is a small problem with Defense+ and Sandbox. Both were disabled, until I could get Defense+ to play nice with Windows Defender, I put that into Trusted Files. Darrell

Collapse -
Answer
my opinion
by Jacob67miller / February 26, 2012 2:31 PM PST

among the antivirus softwares i used, i always thought norton is the best. but as Mark said, it's the best for me.

Collapse -
Answer
more options
by porsche10x / March 3, 2012 11:09 PM PST

Personally, I'm a fan of NOD32. Works well, very, very highly rated, uses very little system resources (possibly the least?), but unfortunately, not free. I've had particularly good results with older machines. Until very recently, they even supported NT, 98, and 95. For my new machines, I've just been using the free Microsoft Security Essentials.

Collapse -
Answer
I suggest Norton 360
by Jamesniurvia / May 21, 2012 12:54 AM PDT

It's more faster and easy to use ,I used norton 360 from version 2.0 now it's Version 6.0.
I bought it here on a cheap price : http://www.antivirusprice.co.uk

Collapse -
Do they
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 21, 2012 6:26 AM PDT
In reply to: I suggest Norton 360

still block System Restore in Windows?

That's what puts me off them.

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
antivirus
by yiannisxxxx / August 4, 2012 12:05 PM PDT

Norton is the best!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.