Cameras

Question

Best $200 Camera with video for low light and fast action?

by milesmouthguard / September 28, 2012 8:24 PM PDT

Hi.

I'm looking to purchase a camera with video capability for around $200. I'll be using it to document an upcoming tour for my band.

We play a lot of house shows and small spaces. Our shows consist of a lot of movement.

Can any help me out?

Thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best $200 Camera with video for low light and fast action?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best $200 Camera with video for low light and fast action?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You are asking for a lot
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 29, 2012 7:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
I totally know it's asking for a lot.
by milesmouthguard / September 29, 2012 8:01 AM PDT

Thanks for the tip. I really appreciate it! I'm checking that camera out now.

Collapse -
TODAY. How about an entry level dslr?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2012 1:28 AM PDT

I see it over at woot com today. For those just starting out, not 15K?

Collapse -
Answer
Stills no, video yes
by PistonCupChampion / September 30, 2012 1:57 AM PDT

You will not be able to buy a camera for $200 that will take good action photos in low light, unless you can get close and use the flash. Video on the other hand is not nearly as demanding as still photos. A $200 camera will take pretty good HD video in low light. The audio though varies widely, from bad to acceptable.

Collapse -
Video Yes?
by milesmouthguard / September 30, 2012 10:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Stills no, video yes

Do you have any recommendation for good video and acceptable audio?

Collapse -
Audio
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 1, 2012 8:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Video Yes?

To make a good $200 camera, it is necessary to cut as many costs as possible.
A digital camera's purpose is to take good "still" pictures. The ability to take video is a bonus because that can be done cheaply (mostly firmware). So, you will not get excellent audio; you get the least expensive audio circuits that is competative with the competition.

And that is basic AGC (automatic gain control).
Which will boost the sound if the sound is too low.
It will not lower the sound if it is too high.
If you try to record live music you will get distortion if you are too close to the music source.
There is no adjustment for loudness.

Camcorders are more likely to have good audio circuits than digital cameras.
Recently a couple of digital cameras were released that boast of their audio abilities but the cheapest one is over $2500.

The bottom line is that there is no low cost digital camera that has good sound or microphones good enough for live music recording.

Collapse -
Not true
by PistonCupChampion / October 1, 2012 11:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Audio

A AGC will indeed attempt to attenuate a high signal. But it can't work miracles. If the signal is strong enough, distortion will occur. The other side of the coin is that depending on the design, an AGC can attenuate a signal too much...it might avoid clipping distortion, but end up reducing the dynamic range so much that the sound is very "flat" sounding.

So...I'm sure you can find a $200 camera that will record music with acceptable (read: not great, but good enough) audio. But don't take my word for it. Go to YouTube and watch and listen to some examples. With that, my Sony HX9V, which I purchased factory refurbished for $240:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7dKPVc3UlI&feature=share&list=UUoQwYXSWcgIkx6n6Ve-zZMA

Collapse -
Answer
Checkout this Camera
by loveymiller / October 2, 2012 8:18 PM PDT

Nikon Coolpix L310:

Nikon Coolpix L310 has a 21x optical zoom, a high resolution 3 inch LCD screen, HD (720p) movie recording capabilities and a 14 megapixel CCD sensor. The optical zoom with an autofocus function can be used during video recording and the camera's high ISO range (up to 6400) means it's great for shooting in low light situations.

click here if u want reviews about this product:
http://www.naaptol.com/digital-cameras/nikon-coolpix-l310/P/2793118.html

thank you

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.