Best 1GB flash player

by Zorg / December 27, 2004 11:01 PM PST

What is the best flash player with 1 GB
a FM tuner
and a voice recorder ?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best 1GB flash player
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best 1GB flash player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some ideas
by Zorg / December 28, 2004 10:24 PM PST
In reply to: Best 1GB flash player

OK, let me give you some ideas :

iAudio4 CW400
iAudio U2
iAudio G3

iRiver iFP-999
iRiver iFP-899
iRiver iFP-799

Have you tried any of those ?
Any other one I missed ?

Collapse -
iriver 799
by bobpenn / December 28, 2004 11:04 PM PST

I have the iriver 799 and after owing many mp3 players, think this is the best one I have every purchased. The sound is fantastic, as good, in my opinion, as the iPod, which is saying alot. It's small, easy to operate, has a great FM radio and has a 40 hour life on the battery. The only thing it doesn't have is a SD card slot, but with 1GB of memory that's OK for my daily jogging needs.

The software is good and easy to use, and there will be a firmware update soon which will show the unit as a removable drive (currently you need to use the provided software to load the unit).

The two things it does not have which I wish it did have to do with listening to Audible files: first, Audible is not directly supported. You need to convert the file to mp3 or WMA to listen to it. Second, there is no bookmarking feature, so finding the stopping point of a listen to file takes fast forwarding to locate it.

Otherwise, it has nearly every feature you could imaging in a flash player, from voice and FM recording, to variable speed playback.

As you can tell, after having a Creative Nomad, Nomad II, Nomad MG, Rio S30, Rio S35, Rio Karma, Rio Chiba, and four defective Rio Forges, I am happy with the 799.

Collapse -
MPIO FG100
by chaichat / December 29, 2004 4:52 PM PST

its not available in any stores in the US so I ordered it directly from the manufacturer's e-commerce site (which is hidden away from all mankind).

I think URL is www.buympio.com (there's no link from their main site to it)

I don't know how good it is yet, but I will give updates on the result.

Apparently the songs can be transferred directly to the flash player w/out any extra softwares. ( I will check on this)

I think my main concern right now is the sound quality. From what I heard Iriver got great sound, but its a bit too boring for me.

Collapse -
Why MPIO ?
by Zorg / December 29, 2004 11:26 PM PST
In reply to: MPIO FG100

Why did you buy this MPIO instead of an iRiver or an iAudio ?

Collapse -
RE: WHY MPIO
by chaichat / December 30, 2004 1:00 PM PST
In reply to: Why MPIO ?

Why I would buy FG100

1. I like the look of the MPIO players.
2. OLED screen.
3. USB 2.0
4. 56 hrs play back I think
5. they're OEM manufacturer for other companies.

Why I wouldn't buy
1. sketchy website. They don't speak english.
2. can't find a place to buy. Online site is kind of expensive.

Product yet to be tested, it won't arrive until jan4 so I can't speak much about it yet.

Collapse -
JetAudio U2
by mohitshewaramani / December 30, 2004 6:21 AM PST
Collapse -
JetAudio U2 1GB
by Zorg / December 30, 2004 10:31 PM PST
In reply to: JetAudio U2

It's good MP3 player indeed
....but the price is not so good Sad

Collapse -
BEWARE
by qwerty1234 / December 31, 2004 11:24 AM PST
In reply to: JetAudio U2 1GB

just so you know, the U2 is not compatible with online stores that use protected WMAs, which is most of them. i learned this firsthand. i have no idea why cnet did not mention such an important detail.

Collapse -
CNET review
by Zorg / January 3, 2005 10:54 PM PST
In reply to: BEWARE

I've also wondered how come this player has such a high rating.....

Collapse -
music source
by gnawiel / January 5, 2005 1:19 PM PST
In reply to: BEWARE

most here people download mp3 files for free or go online store to buy them? any difference beside money?

Collapse -
white noice
by anim84 / January 2, 2005 3:08 AM PST

I've heard that the ifp-7xx models should have a white noice problem. Especial with 16ohm headphones.

I also think that the iaudio U2 has too low battery-life.

Collapse -
White noice
by Zorg / January 2, 2005 8:31 AM PST
In reply to: white noice

Is it a myth or a reality ?

and is it hardware related or firmware related (in which case it can be fixed) ?

Collapse -
White Noice
by anim84 / January 3, 2005 12:05 AM PST
In reply to: White noice

I don't know. I just wrote what i heard form others.
Firmware og hardware?? Don't know, but i suggest you search the iriver forums on their homepage.

Collapse -
by max power--2008 / January 3, 2005 1:30 AM PST

That's why you don't go with the 799
you go with the 899
No problems at all

Collapse -
899 ?
by Zorg / January 3, 2005 5:34 AM PST
In reply to: 899

and the 899 looks better than the 799 IMO

The only issue is that it's pretty difficult to find the 899, while the 799 is available about everywhere

Collapse -
RE 899?
by chaichat / January 3, 2005 7:59 AM PST
In reply to: 899 ?

I think I saw a bunch in best buy the other day.

Collapse -
Muvo Micro N200!!!
by Bryanhoop / January 3, 2005 6:54 AM PST

I bought this for myself and I have to say it is awesome! So unbelievably tiny with 1gb storage.

Collapse -
white noice?
by 3vilone / February 25, 2006 5:18 PM PST

what?? I've had the 780 there was a alittle noice. but it didn't bother me and I'm the kinda guy who HATES those things in mp3's

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.