Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Belkin F5D7230-4 to Linksys WRT54GS as a Repeater

by MrSurething / February 25, 2007 10:58 AM PST

I'm trying to and have had my Belkin F5D7230-4 Router connected as a wireless bridge to my Linksys WRT54GS but have had many isues having the Belkin drop off line. I upgraded the firmware in both units and now find that I can not connect at all. Firmware? Probably. But before I go back to older stuff, does anyone have a suggestion on a third-party firmware?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Belkin F5D7230-4 to Linksys WRT54GS as a Repeater
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Belkin F5D7230-4 to Linksys WRT54GS as a Repeater
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A repeater is not a wireless bridge.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2007 11:11 AM PST

Let's hear exactly what you are trying to accomplish first. One device is not the other and accomplishes different effects.

Tell more then I'll check the product manual to see if it's possible.

Collapse -
Wireless Bridge (Repeater) to Linksys
by MrSurething / February 26, 2007 8:25 AM PST

Ok- I'm using a Linksys WRT54GS as my main router with internet connection. I have wireless internet and the best location in the house to recieve the best signal is in one of my kid's bedroom. My den is at the opposite end of the house (about 50ft and 4 walls). My laptop has no problem anywhere in the house. I have another computer I use as a test bench (working on other peoples computers) in my den that I want and had connected to the internet. Plus when I get done with someone's computer, I connect to my high-speed net to get all the extra updates and all. I felt it was better to use a Belkin router setup as a wireless bridge as my den's link to the internet since it would have 4 LAN ports as well.
The Belkin being only $30 new caught my attention quickly and with the second-party firmware abilities, I thought it would be a good choice. I bought one and within a day or so I figured out how to connect it wirelessly to my Linksys. I then had a wireless link between my den and up to 4 computers and my modem. Great; worked so well I bought another Belkin to put in the barn (about 500ft away) and placed the Belkin out there. Now I could take my laptop out to my playpen and surf out there as well. That was my laptop wirelessly to the Belkin wirelessly to the Linksys internet connection thus my idea of a repeater station (just boosting the signal). Worked good for a few weeks except that I always had to reboot the Belkins to reastablish the wireless link. Now, as of this past weekend, I can not establish a link at all between the 3 routers. I can connect wirelessly to each one individually but can not see either of the other two from any one. I did update the firmware trying to correct this problem and I'm currently going backwards in firmware to find one that works again. But I was hoping someone else had already done this and knew of good stable firmware (OEM or Second Party) that took care of these issues.

So that's where I'm at right now. When I get this all worked out, I will update with the final working setup proceedure.

Collapse -
Ok, that's not a bridge but you can use...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2007 9:10 AM PST

If a repeater would work it would sit halfway from here to there and repeat the signal. The upside is that it doesn't require anything more than power. The Belkin F5D7230-4 has no repeater function.

I know you are asking for custom firmware but the only one I know of is the openwrt effort. I decline to duplicate efforts since it has it's own site and forums. Check there if you want to look into that.

-> There is that other mode that could be useful and that is to configure one of the routers as a WAP. The basics to do that is to not as simple as the wireless which is not an option since you don't have the pair of products noted at

We'll have to use the usual wired method and turn the belkin into an AP. I'll use the manual from for this.

Starting about page 23 we dive into the alternate setup. We want to disable the DHCP service in this product as well as give it an unique IP address to not clash with your other router. This is done in the LAN settings. Disable the DHCP first then select a compatible IP address so it's on your LAN. I'll pick for the second router when is the first router.

Reconnect via if need be using a static address on your PC if need be. I will not be describing how to do this since this is just beyond entry level networking and you need to be adept at this or call in techs to do this for you.

Back on the Belkin router and to the wireless area you want to set the channel to 5 or more channels off the other router. If the Netgear is channel 1, then use channel 6 or 11 for the Belkin. For the first outing we do not enable any security! I've seen people shot themselves in the foot by turning that on before we get it working.

On the WAN side we can leave that alone and hook it up for a test run. Just cable one of the Belkin ports to the Netgear ports and we should now have a Belkin WAP to connect to.

Best of luck,

Collapse -
Wireless Repeater
by MrSurething / February 26, 2007 10:39 PM PST

Thanks for the input but the problem is I don't want the routers wired together hence the wireless bridge. Also as I stated in my detail, I had this working great for a few months with the exception to the rebooting the Belkins from time to time to reestablish the link. I don't know what changed but something must have because now the system just won't talk to each other. Right out of the Belkin manual states that the two Belkins are made to be able to work this way yet I can't get them to talk to each other Belkin to Belkin. these were working as REPEATERS with nothing more than power. Thanks for the reply; I'll post the fix when I find it.

Collapse -
What I found was...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2007 10:51 PM PST
In reply to: Wireless Repeater

The firmware versions had to match for that bridge trick to work. Your combo "Belkin F5D7230-4 to Linksys WRT54GS" is too far off the support map to ask anyone for a do-this cure.

If you want it to work then the pairs of same make product with matching firmwares should do the trick but that does not appear to be an option for you.

Worth noting are numerous replies of "it used to work." I won't dispute that but as your neighbor installed some new wifi you may have to learn how to do a site survey to discover an open RF channel. For instance if your neighbors are on channels 6 and 11 you'll use channel 1. I didn't read anything in your posts you have done this work.

Hope this gives you some ideas. And sorry you can't go with the usual cure or setup.

Collapse -
Site Map
by MrSurething / February 26, 2007 11:20 PM PST
In reply to: What I found was...

the only other wireless system around me uses channel 5. I have done that homework. I understand that many of the OEM's are not going to tell you how to work with someone else's product, that make sense too. That's what forums are for though; people like you and myself check and offer help to others trying to do the same basic thing. I do have 2 Belkin routers of the same model and firmware that I am working with Belkin (slowly do to their responce time frame of 3 days so far) to at least get them to work together. Why I'm using a Linksys in all of this is because the Linksys has the ability to have remote mount antennas which can also be changed out to powered High-Gain antennas for more range/better signal strength. Basic antenna propagation shows that a pair of matched antennas become a directional system thus extending the range outside that of a standard omni-directional antenna such as that of the Belkin. Yes you are right; this may be too far off the support map for most, but that's where I'm at with this and my search for assistance. I'll get it, it just may take a while.

Collapse -
One thing about antennas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2007 11:36 PM PST
In reply to: Site Map

I've modified units that didn't have connectors. Here's an example ->

Now we just hack open the unit, find the integrated or other antenna connection and solder in our cable or connector for the new antenna.

-> More important is a thought I had earlier. The bridging mode PDF document did the owners wrong in one respect. They showed the bridged unit in the same area as the units that were being serviced. That's not a great setup. If that bridge could pick up the home base then most laptops could go direct as well.

This is where a little thought would have the bridge unit almost halfway between the room that needed service and the base router. Then again this changes if I use the more common wired WAP method. Point? Use your head and think what they are telling you then temper it with how things work.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.