Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Belarc Advisor-& driver indexing/inventory?

by ATP-1 / May 14, 2014 12:41 PM PDT

I am using Belarc results to help me in preparation for my overhaul/upgrading.

My idea was to utilise the information from Belarc results to determine what drivers I possessed (& where they were located).

From this, I could calculate the number, & then
determine which of these I needed prior to reinstallation ie.perform a sifting & priortising.

But while some of Belarc Advisor information is clear, I am unclear about the other data presented. In other words, I am unclear about the range of drivers as presented in a Belarc Advisor result.

How does one resolve this dilemma?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Belarc Advisor-& driver indexing/inventory?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Belarc Advisor-& driver indexing/inventory?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Try Driver Magician
by edwardnav / May 14, 2014 11:41 PM PDT

The following free program can list and backup the drivers on your computer. http://www.drivermagician.com/ What you want to backup are the ones that don't come with your windows system, and they are listed. In other words the drivers that you downloaded and installed yourself. Otherwise you don't really need to do this as windows will install all necessary drivers as part of the operating system.

Hope that answers your question,

Collapse -
Odd idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2014 11:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Try Driver Magician

I've had friends try this and fail. Then they ask how to fix a cranky driver and we're back to the maker's site to get the drivers.

No magic it seems required.

Collapse -
Am unable to comment
by ATP-1 / May 15, 2014 3:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Odd idea.

on the other software.

I am satisfied with Belarc Advisor.

I just need to know how to understand & resolve the dilemma Belarc Advisor presents in the OP...? Does it index & present both Window 7 drivers & other non-MS drivers?

Collapse -
No it does not.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 15, 2014 3:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Am unable to comment

The industry never resolved how to cleanly identify all gear on the PC. To this day the industry has us inventorying the PC and doing this pretty much as we did for over a decade.

I hear you. Apple heard this and you can see how they resolved it by controlling the hardware platform.

Collapse -
So the parameters
by ATP-1 / May 15, 2014 10:05 AM PDT
In reply to: No it does not.

of the deficiencies with a Belarc Advisor report are then:

* lack of clarity of the range of drivers as presented
* lack of clarity in separation into Windows (7) & other non-MS drivers as presented

So, then I would ask-

i) how much of a Belarc Advisor report can I use (for my preparation?)

ii) how has inventorying the PC usually been done over the past decade--pen & paper? notes on a digital file?

Collapse -
I never considered this a Belarc problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 15, 2014 10:27 AM PDT
In reply to: So the parameters

It's the PC industry problem. Installing Windows 7 (or any version) has meant we use the maker's install procedure. If that procedure is missing then we use the generic methods that we've used since about 1995. There are tomes about that so I'll keep it short.

1. The Windows OS.
2. Chipset driver.
3. Audio driver (side note, some older version of Windows mandates MS-UAA but not for Windows 7.)
4. Video driver.
5. If applicable, Intel's acceleration and what ever they call their RST this week.
6. OTHER THAN DRIVERS! Most call these HELPER APPS. Apps the enable or control features like WiFi on/off, volume control, etc.

If your PC maker didn't supply this process, you have first hand proof of where this industry is losing the battle.

Collapse -
In case I never mentioned it. Another fine app I use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 15, 2014 10:27 AM PDT

Piriform's SPECCY.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.