Cameras

Rant

been reading forums, still need help

by hamblda / December 4, 2012 7:49 AM PST

Dear Forum(Snapshot):
Been reading all forums back for awhile, researching for 2 cameras, 1 for wife upgrading her H-5 if i buy one this year and 1 for daughter upgrading Sony TX-1 if I buy one. Things important for both, good pictures, good video, good sound, daughter smaller size, wife smaller size maybe got tired of all reviews and started looking at T3i but really wanted to get her something like sx-260 but never liked all the negative reviews, researced lots of sonys because she has 2 sonys figured it would be easier, never sure on hx10,20 or 30, need help on this, looked atwx150 for daughter and others but not sure. Researched sometimes too much and then not sure but every camera i ever bought kids and wife did love sony T-200 was a little tough though but still some good pics. thanks,
Dale

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: been reading forums, still need help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: been reading forums, still need help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
New Cameras
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 4, 2012 11:28 PM PST

Lets start with replacing the Sony H5 with either the H10, H20, H30, T200
You will be trading down.
The H5 has a viewfinder and Aperture Priority, and Shutter Priority. None of the others have those features.
If your wife uses any of those features she will not be satisfied with any of the replacement cameras.
Plus the T200 is only one year newer than the H5 (not a good upgrade).
Replacing the Sony TX1 with the Sony WX150:
I don't like that suggestion at all:
The TX1 is noted for producing excellent photos.
The WX150 uses the new Sony 18 megapixel sensor which is noisy.
Noisy means poor low light performance and photos with reduced detail.
More megapixel is not needed on a small camera and it reduces picture quality.
10 megapixels is just about optimum (and the TX1 has 10 megapixels).

Collapse -
is there a replacement, better for H-5
by hamblda / December 5, 2012 6:45 AM PST
In reply to: New Cameras

T-200 was 2nd daughters she has WX-5 now, wife likes her H-5, I just figure there has to be an advancement the right way, Tx-1(3d daughter) I think is ok, not sure, really needs a camera for sports action as she is going to report on winter/spring sports maybe for CSU but I guess they may have cameras for her to use? I hope. Thanks,
Dale

Collapse -
Sports
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 5, 2012 8:11 AM PST
Collapse -
ok
by hamblda / December 5, 2012 10:20 AM PST
In reply to: Sports

thanks, I will look at both of those, and get back if needed soon,
dale

Collapse -
zs-15 to zs-20
by hamblda / December 5, 2012 10:23 AM PST
In reply to: Sports

if prices are the same(Holidays is ZS-20 better choice?
Thanks,
Dale

Collapse -
ZS15/ZS20
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 5, 2012 12:56 PM PST
In reply to: zs-15 to zs-20

Reading the specifications can look like the ZS20 is a better buy, but in this case the picture quality goes down. The ZS20 also adds a touch screen LCD, a little more optical zoom and a GPS.

The ZS20 uses a different (14MP) sensor which is noisier that the ZS15 (12MP) sensor.

That makes it necessary that the camera firmware must include noise reduction firmware which will reduce picture detail. This means things like grass and tree leaves will have a mushy appearance when viewed closely. The lens (20X) on the SZ20 suffers from vignetting which makes the corners of the pictures appear as slightly out of focus.

The ZS15 has better than average low light performance.
The ZS20 low light performance is average.

The GPS has a great gee-whiz appeal but when being used, it cuts your battery life in half.
Which means you should carry an extra battery.

I recommend the ZS15.

Collapse -
thanks, looked at all and all seem good
by hamblda / December 7, 2012 10:57 AM PST
In reply to: ZS15/ZS20

with Canon having 3 new cameras is the SX-50 the best choice?, does it also have a viewfinder, are they also compatable with wifes/daughters(ZS-15)Macbook pro laptops. I really don't have money for Sony RX-100 but is it a good choice or will it still be problems with mac, transfer, besides being expensive. Thanks,
Dale

Collapse -
Canon SX-50 and Sony RX-100
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 11:49 AM PST

Here is a link to information about the SX-50:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_sx50_hs#BrochuresAndManuals
It shows that it comes with software for the Apple. They don't list computer models, just the operating system (looks like they cover them all).
You will notice that you can even download a User Manual for the camera.
Do that if you want to read all the details about the camera.
The SX-50 does have an electronic viewfinder.
Here is a current list of all Canon Cameras:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras
I did not even consider the Sony RX-100 because it does not have a viewfinder.
It has a larger sensor and that makes it a good camera for low light photography.

Collapse -
still thinking
by hamblda / December 9, 2012 1:49 AM PST

looked at S110 and Sx-50, like both and not sure? and for ZS-15 will it work ok for downloads, pictures, video with daughters macbook pro or should I look at a Canon? If Canon offer a few more, have looked at Sx-260, thank you

Collapse -
Digital Cameras
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 6:48 AM PST
In reply to: still thinking
Collapse -
that service charges you
by hamblda / December 11, 2012 6:40 AM PST
In reply to: Digital Cameras

Dear Snapshot:
That service wanted to know how much I would pay for a correct answer? Did you know that was a pay site, without knowing I would be paying for an answer I wouldn't know was right, Not what I expected when I asked the question, will try and research by calling Panasonic.

Collapse -
No
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 11, 2012 12:21 PM PST

I thought it was a Panasonic site.
Went back and found that it is not associated with Panasonic.
They should be flying a skull and cross-bones flag.
Any answer they give will likely be a guess.

Collapse -
glad you saw what I did
by hamblda / December 15, 2012 9:33 AM PST
In reply to: No

strange how people can hide what there all about, will check with Panasonic this week, still undecided which way to go, thanks,
Dale

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.