Computer Help forum

General discussion

Bearshare Problem

by Malcom51 / June 28, 2004 5:28 AM PDT

I just downloaded bearshare, and after I installed it, I loged on. Then I got that dreaded message, "you have a virus". I didn't download any thing. I have Norton Antivirus, with updated definitions. I run XP. ( I also allowed my Firewall to run BearShare and all the adware stuff that came with it.) I did a scan, and found mostly Trojans, a few adwares, and one virus. Are these things simply the adware that comes with Bearshare? Please help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bearshare Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bearshare Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Bearshare Problem
by Mark G / June 28, 2004 5:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Bearshare Problem
Collapse -
by Malcom51 / June 28, 2004 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Bearshare Problem

Like I said before, I didn't download anything. So do you have anything else to say.

Collapse -
You did download something!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2004 5:44 AM PDT

Bearshare installs other spyware which allows others to place files and more on your machine without asking you. Many only learn this lesson about P2P the hard ware as they have to wipe the drive and start over.

For now, wipe out the virus, bearshare as well as any other parasite you find with Adaware, Spybot, Cwshredder and Housecall.

I know you didn't ask for the uninvited pests on purpose, but now you get to clean it up.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Bearshare Problem = Problems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2004 5:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Malcom51 / June 28, 2004 5:54 AM PDT

I read the article, and I was wondering if I uninstalling Bearshare gets rid of all that stuff. I did run a virus scan, a AdAwarw scan, and a spy bot scan. Am I out off the clear. (I deleted all that I found.) Oh yeah, is Kazaa a better solution to these problems. Thanks.

Collapse -
Bearshare Problem = Problems. Kazaa= more problems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2004 6:02 AM PDT

And as a final blow to the psyche, spyware and such does NOT uninstall with most applications. By installing such, you are granting them freedom to roam your machine without restraint.

I can only offer my best advice is to ask around about such pests and read this article:

http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

" The P2P file-sharing programs are notorious for this; in particular, iMesh and Grokster come with countless unwanted add-ons.

Often if you are careful to read the small print when you install the software it will warn you about this, and it is sometimes possible to opt out. So always skim the licence agreement when you install and don?t just click Next-Next-Next... but you still can?t be sure they?ll tell you. "

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Bearshare Problem = Problems. Kazaa= more problems.
by Malcom51 / June 28, 2004 6:04 AM PDT

So u r saying I will never get rid of the spyware. That doesn't sound right.

Collapse -
Never wrote that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2004 6:13 AM PDT

I just noted that your next choice was even more infested than the last.

At the end of the day, it's your choice. All the forum can do is educate.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Never wrote that.
by Malcom51 / June 28, 2004 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Never wrote that.

Thank you for the information. So, if I delete BearShare, and run all my scans, and I don't download anymore p2ps, I will be alright.

Collapse -
Nope
by Yew / June 28, 2004 6:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Never wrote that.

Internet Explorer and any email client with Outlook as part of it's name is prone to allowing Spyware to be installed on your system.

Lately there's what's called a zero-day exploit of Internet Explorer involving sites using MS's web server software. Basically some people have hacked big sites using MS's web server, and are setting it up to exploit a known security hole in Internet Explorer (which MS has yet to even indicate they are working on a patch for last I checked) to install all kinds of spyware garbage on your system.

So, assuming you've visited Windows Update recently and installed all the crittical updates (if not, run, don't walk, to do so), download yourself a different (and arguably better) browser. That could be either Mozilla and cousins or Opera, your choice. Then proceed to immediately forget Internet Explorer exists save for the bi-weekly visits to Windows Update.

In the land of Windows, you have to be pretty constantly vigilant.

Collapse -
by Mark G / June 28, 2004 10:15 AM PDT

whats better is to take your money and buy what ever you get for "free" from others as you see what happens when you "try to save$"

Collapse -
by Malcom51 / June 28, 2004 6:38 AM PDT

By the way, I forgot to tell u that on spybot, my scan always finds 5 files. I fix them, and run the scan again. But they are still their. I think they are called DSO exploits, or something like that. Are these from Bearshare.

Collapse -
DSO Exploit issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2004 6:52 AM PDT

From memory that was a bug in some version of Spybot awhile ago, but now seems to be cured. DSO exploits can be from using Internet Explorer exclusively. That DOXDESK site explains how such can land on your machine.

Easy to avoid, just use any other browser when you can.

If the DSO issue persists, write a post in the Security Forum since they live for that.

Bob

Collapse -
by Mark G / June 28, 2004 10:16 AM PDT

are you putting a check in the boxes?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.