The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Be honest, are you running a legitimate version of Windows?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / February 20, 2009 4:50 AM PST

Be honest, are you running a legitimate version of Windows on your PC?

Yes
No (Why not?)
Not sure (Please explain why you are unsure.)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Be honest, are you running a legitimate version of Windows?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Be honest, are you running a legitimate version of Windows?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
seriously?
by Brons2 / February 20, 2009 10:05 AM PST

are you attempting to masquerade as the microsoft police?

come on leekoo, this is disingenuous.

Collapse -
LEGIT WINDOWS VERSION
by STASHMO / February 20, 2009 10:07 AM PST

I owned and operated a business for two decades. I always believed that, to be treated fairly, I should always play fairly.

I have been stunned and surprized only once, when a long-time client "lost" a shipment of models to his practice. A professional aquaintance of mine attended the seminar where the models were used.

That 'lesson' cost me $1,100 but it did not change my mind.

Microsoft, despite some flaws is a mostly "squared-away" enterprise.

Collapse -
Hmm...
by ramo89 / February 20, 2009 10:29 AM PST

Do what you want, ?cause a pirate is free,
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
Yar har, fiddle di dee,
Being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want ?cause a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

(spoken)You are a pirate!
(crowd)Yay!

We've got us a map, (a map!)
To lead us to a hidden box,
That's all locked up with locks! (with locks!)
And buried deep away!

We'll dig up the box, (the box!)
We know it's full of precious booty!
Burst open the locks!
And then we'll say hooray!

(changes to electronic euro-pop crap music)

(girl's voice)Yar, har, fiddle di dee.
If you love to sail the sea,
You are a pirate!

(spoken)Weigh anchooor!

Yar har, fiddle di dee,
Being a pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want '?cause a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Arr yarr, ahoy and avast,
dinky-****-****-a-dinkadefast!
Hang the black flag
At the end of the mast!
You are a pirate!

Hahaha! (Yay!)

We're sailing away (set sail!),
Adventure awaits on every shore!
We set sail and explore (ya-har!)
And run and jump all day (Yay!)
We float on our boat (the boat!)
Until its time to drop the anchor,
Then hang up our coats (aye-aye!)
Until we sail again!

(girl's voice)Yar, har, fiddle di dee.
If you love to sail the sea,
You are a pirate!

Laaaand ho!

Yar har, fiddle di dee,
Being a pirate is alright with me!
Do what you want ?cause a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

(spoken)Yar har, wind at your back, lads,
Wherever you go!

(singing)Blue sky above and blue ocean below,
You are a pirate!

(spoken)Hahahahaa!
You're a pirate!

Collapse -
lost xp installation disk
by jabzeer / February 20, 2009 10:32 AM PST

i had a windows media center 2005 oem edition installed with vaio laptop. but unfortunately i lost the disk . so know iam using a pirated version can anybody help me to solve this
thanks in advance

Collapse -
Legit XP
by Jerry Blaz / February 21, 2009 11:23 AM PST

I bought my XP disk many years ago, and installed it without a problem with the numeric code. Then I had to reinstall XP and discovered that I misplaced the disk. So I installed an "illegitimate" disk until I found my legit XP disk. Over time, I had to discard my computer and bought a second-hand Dell. The number on the Dell case is a real XP number, but when I installed the disk on it with the number on the Dell case, it was not accepted by MS. After working with this same "illegitimate" disk, I finally discovered my original disk, but now I don't have the number for it. I thought that if I installed it, MS would recognize it and have a record of me as the legitimate purchaser of it somewhere, but it doesn't work that way. I get all kinds of warnings from MS, that my disk is not proper and inferring I will get damage to my OS. I get these messages when I boot and when I'm working, sometimes interfering with my work. I tried to talk to someone at MS. It didn't help.

However, I gave Gates & Co. enough money for the XP when I bought it originally, and I surely don't want to by a Vistas which has been, according to the concensus, a big fat flop. I believe that a software company should get its due, but it shouldn't get more than its due. There is a difference between security and robbery.

Jerry Blaz

Collapse -
No. I am not using a legitimate copy of Windows
by rccoffee / February 20, 2009 10:41 AM PST

I am a Macfan so I am using a legitimate copy of OS X-Leopard.

lol

Collapse -
Of course
by Mr Dandee / February 20, 2009 10:51 AM PST

I work on a laptop and for the (high) price I paid for it years ago they gave me a legitimate version of XP; which apparently cannot be installed anywhere else.

Collapse -
Too many computers
by RobertBrown30 / February 20, 2009 11:00 AM PST

Not Sure

Lessee - there's the main computer on Vista, A laptop on XP Pro upgrade, an XP Media center and a Windows Home Server - all legit.

There's a copy of XP Home on an MP3 player and a kid's computer. MS didn't balk at regisitering.

Have Windows 7 on an eeePC. But it did come with XP.

A kitchen computer and a test computer are on XP Home (same as above 2) with a serial number that uhhhh.. I guessed. Yah that's it.

Collapse -
you're kidding, right?
by psychomichael / February 20, 2009 11:26 AM PST

I will never...ever...EVER, pay for Micro$oft software.

I use Linux, so I don't have to.

Wink

Collapse -
can't afford it
by darkr / February 20, 2009 11:38 AM PST

i bought a x64 version with my pc but it wouldn't work with my printer or some hardware so i had to downgrade to 32bit version

oem licenses are still 120bucks Sad
its not cheap to buy it again

Collapse -
No, I am not running a legitimate copy of Windows anything
by purposed / February 20, 2009 12:00 PM PST

Because I am running Ubuntu.

(you did ask).

(but I, conversely, am not asking people to flame me for answering your question)

Collapse -
Windows Xp legitimacy
by Eirinn2 / February 20, 2009 2:08 PM PST

Like Gary, I purchased my current computer second-hand, but from a second-hand computers business.
The installer did not leave the disk with me, I forget his reason why not and I was too naive to insist otherwise.
This computer started giving me problems almost immediately that the business I bought it from could never fix adequately. To cut a long story short I eventually lost trust in this business' ability to repair computers. So I went elsewhere and discovered this business has a shoddy reputation in their business dealings. Asking around only reinforced this information. The business has since closed down.
When Microsoft announced they were releasing a tool for consumers to find out if their Windows software was legit or not I was determined to use it to find out for sure.
I had trepidation about it as given my prior experiences with this second-hand computer, I was really worried the Windows software on it was illegal.
It was such a huge relief to discover the version of Windows XP Pro on this computer is legitimate! YAY!
This experience has put me right off ever purchasing a second-hand computer ever again!

Collapse -
all my software is legit
by tazadsldevil / February 20, 2009 2:16 PM PST

I do not want to be at risk, on my mainpc i run a legit vista home premium, on the gamepc a legit version of xphome, on laptop 1 a legit version of xppro, and on laptop2 also a legit version of windows xppro. Why all legit software?

because i use my systems also for business as well, and i do not want to risk that my files come corrupt over the line.

Collapse -
Illegal users "eventually get right"
by WilliamHarper / February 20, 2009 3:15 PM PST

I used to work in software retail, and I remember an industry publication that reported on a piracy survey. The result was this:

Software "pirates" are really "trial-ware" users. The survey concluded that most illegal users eventually upgraded to legal copies for back-up media, feature enhancement, books and support. In other words, the ?pirates? enjoyed trading programs more than using programs ? it?s a game. The illegal serious users bought into legitimate software, at some point.

And you don't think the major software companies fully understand this fact?

Therefore if, as this current CNET survey states, it is true that 7% of serious PC users, i.e. CNET members, are illegal for XP, what?s the big deal? They will all have to upgrade at some point.

I postulate that CNET users are far more representative of high-end PC users than the population as a whole. Recognizing that running a patched, illegal copy of XP requires some PC expertise, probably outside the skills of a typical PC users (the group that wouldn?t know anyway if they were illegal), I submit that the piracy rate across the US for all demographic is more likely under 2%.

The shoplifting loss rate for retailers was 0.92 percent of all sales, and employee theft accounts for 44% of all retail losses.

An AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety survey shows that 20 percent - one in every five - of all fatal crashes in the United States involve drivers who should never have been on the road in the first place due to the fact they were unlicensed.

There are estimates that 25% - 40% of the drivers in California have no automobile insurance. Probably 15% of the population of the United States has no right to be there, i.e. illegal immigrants.

While the Census Bureau estimates there are 9 million illegal aliens living in the U.S., other sources put the figure closer to 20 million. Running parallel to those estimates are the best guesses on the number of unlicensed motorists ? 17 million.

In addition, the states with the most illegal aliens also have the most unlicensed drivers. Those states are also in the lead for the most hit-and-run accidents, according to reports issued by the Fatality Analysis Reporting System and the Pew Hispanic Center. California ranks at the top with 24.1 percent of the known 11.1 million illegal aliens.

And 7% of serious PC users, i.e. CNET members, are illegal for XP.

What?s the bigger problem?

References:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2000_July_12/ai_63326007
http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=51667
http://www.smartmotorist.com/traffic-and-safety-guideline/deadly-drivers-one-fatal-crash-in-five-involves-an-unlicensed-driver.html

Collapse -
good numbers?
by psychomichael / February 20, 2009 9:48 PM PST

I agree that we have bigger problems than so-called "software piracy", but disagree that they "eventually get right". Most of us pirates don't answer polls...I do because I don't care. Bill can't touch me now.

I have never paid for Windaz...all the way from 3.1 to WinXP...until I got tired of all the BS and switched to Ubuntu. I'm not a "normal" user so the things I am able to do on Linux are more intensive, but I never paid for software on any computer I ever owned. I always found someone who could make me a copy of one I needed.

Collapse -
Lies,damned lies and statistics
by BeeCee / February 21, 2009 8:25 PM PST

'And 7% of serious PC users, i.e. CNET members, are illegal for XP.'
Where does that stat come from? Certainly not from the CNET poll as the question was 'be honest, are you running a legitimate version of Windows?' Several No responses have been as a result of users being mischievous and then admitting their reason for a no vote is that they use an alternative operating system to Windows. The question was not fully thought out but neither was the interpretation of the results so far.

Collapse -
I don?t like piracy.
by Mendieta / February 20, 2009 4:44 PM PST

So I?m runing Linux & free software, you don?t pay anything, but you are legal, and the best of all, you don?t pickup viruses & have a reliable system.

Collapse -
Original Windows
by Vazelina / February 20, 2009 7:24 PM PST

I have used original Windows on Win98SE,Winows NT4.0,Win2000 Pro and now on Win XP-Pro.
I get all the support I can get from Microsoft,all download notifications,all news before the others.
Stay Clean,use original Windows and other software.

Good Luck!!!

Collapse -
To be or not to be
by frj11 / February 20, 2009 8:17 PM PST

I have purchased four copies of windows XP over the years. The first copy I purchased was already installed on somebody?s system. And so the activation step failed. That was corrected by a Microsoft technical person who sold me a new number over the phone. My next problem occurred when a Ghost image was restored after some extensive hard ware upgrades and it failed the activation step. I purchased a second license so at this time I had bought the install disk a total of three times. I thought that was a bit foolish. And found a working crack for Windows XP. Now when I change my hardware and reload a backup if Windows fails the activation step I simply run that code.

The final copy of Windows XP I purchased came with a Dell laptop and has always worked with that system flawlessly.

Collapse -
are you running legit version of windows
by lollypopsical / February 20, 2009 8:29 PM PST

I,m not sure I had a friend who upgraded me from Windows 2000 to XP
I was assured that all was Legit.but I have had some doubts and now I have a problem with the computer,so I bought a new comp running Vista.

Collapse -
are you running legit version of windows
by meistersmom / February 20, 2009 9:58 PM PST

If I am not mistaken and you are not sure you can go to the Windows website and can run a check on it to see if it is a legal version. That would be a great idea too. From my understanding in 2014 XP will be another outdated version too. Shame we have to keep changing our computers and if it can be upgraded in memory too. Most of the time you have to get a new computer.

Collapse -
Buy a new computer?
by zgreenwell / February 24, 2009 3:25 AM PST

If you've built your computer from the start you rarely have to "Buy a new computer". Although if you upgrade your motherboard then you might have to get a new processor and ram and maybe even a new hard drive. If its been that long, you might want to consider an OS upgrade too. At least your case is still good though and hopefully your power supply. Then again there are all those nice new graphics cards. Wink

Collapse -
The, relatively, new found restricting nature of Windows...
by will_mansfield / February 20, 2009 8:39 PM PST

Back in the day, 95 and 98, when we got our new shiny PC we got a new shiny OS CD to go with it. And as we all know the Windows system degrades over time, and with no easy access to the REAL D.O.S. (not the prompt in Windows) it is near impossible for anyone to fix this. You can easily defragment the rest of your drive but not Windows, so a formate and a full installation in a necessary spring clean for the avid computer user. But without a Windows CD/DVD this becomes tricky.

You could find a copy which came for the same batch as you original copy and find you licence key, but this is also as impossible. So what to do, what to do.....

Well being a student, not an information systems one though, it is possible to access the universities copies of programs and operating systems. So this is what I do, but for most this isn't an option. So the dodgy Bit-torrent copies are the only choice..... or buying something that you have already bought, which I don't feel is a viable option.

Installing an illegal version of Windows in never the preferred action but sometimes it is the only action.

N.B. I don't think people with illegal versions of Windows would vote on this poll due to fear..... We know that you're not trying to catch us out, but it shows how unpreferable having an illegal version is!

Collapse -
To I_KhanWarrior. post deleted.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 20, 2009 8:41 PM PST

Sorry, but I deleted your post.

You appeared to be posting code of some sort, at first glance a Boot.ini, but the code didn't match the standard boot.ini. I didn't know or understand your intentions, but since we are discussing legitimate or otherwise versions of Windows, I felt safer deleting it.

Feel free to discuss and justify your post here.

Mark

Collapse -
Legit Xp Pro here
by markandcheryl / February 20, 2009 9:34 PM PST

I tried visa and ditched it going back to our old and trusted XP we had tucked away. Thing is, after new hard drives, old mother boards and various format reconfigs later we have had to reset the XP pro key a couple of times but it still runs on two pcs and still is better than vista.Its a true work horse. The new main pc has vista home premium on it but is now dual booted with the XP and the 3rd machine has vista home on. Its a laptop, it came preinstalled so wont be touching that. Not sure about 7, will need a LOT of convincing before loosing XP for that one.

Collapse -
Yes, it is legitimate, came pre-installed by factory
by keltyclan / February 20, 2009 11:29 PM PST

The copy is legit. It came with the E-machine I am using. it was locked in to a hard disc segment and no cd was given for it. There is also no cert sticker. Currently, I cannot get the Windows Installer to work. Question---what good does it do to be legit if it means you can't repair the OS without wiping out your hard drive?

Collapse -
am i using a legit copy of xp?
by gerry cole / February 20, 2009 11:41 PM PST

no, i do not. i have never paid for an operating system. i use xp pro
right now and made it legit with a program i got from a torrent site
search of " pirate " applications. my copy is now fully functional,
including update. i refuse to pay for something that is seiously
flawed and reqires me to pay again in 1 or 2 years for the same crap in a different skin. take your carrot and stick and shove it,microsoft. when m.s. makes another descent operating system i may
consider paying for it, but until then, i will continue with my
xp pro, fully functioning, "pirate" copy.

call me a thief if you like, but,
but my momma didn"t raise no fool!

Collapse -
I'm a victim not a pirate
by flattop900 / February 21, 2009 2:36 AM PST

My computer originally came with oem XP.After some time it got so full of viruses,barely being able to start, I took it to a shop for a complete wipe and re-install.Guess they didn't install a copy of XP that passes the genuine check.They went out of buisseness and I'm not going to pay again for an oem version.

Collapse -
Legal copy of XP
by daross007 / February 21, 2009 2:44 AM PST

If you are not running a legal copy of XP on your computer, I really don't want to hear about you or receive anything from you. By not running a legal copy of XP, you run the risk of carrying who knows what for malicious software/malware/whateverware because you aren't getting all of the updates and security enhancements that Microsoft sends to the user community. FURTHERMORE: there is no excuse for not doing your homework and searching on the web for legitimate copies of software at reduced prices. Check out this web page. You'll see what I mean real quick like.
http://cheapsoftdownload.com/microsoft.php
I ran across them trying to find a new copy of XP after I had read some rather crummy and somewhat biased reviews of Vista again! I'm just not sure I'm ready to swing over to Vista yet especially since Windows 7 or whatever it is officially called is in beta testing now. In any event, the web site appears to have some of the best prices going on software - you just have to do the work to get it. No one sends you a shiny new cd and so forth - you make your own so make sure you know what you are doing. dar988dxn@earthlink.net

Collapse -
check the hype first then go for the real thing
by truckman21 / February 21, 2009 3:54 AM PST

never go for the genuine article straight off.check it first with a pirate copy then buy the real deal if it works out ok.I switched from xp to vista(pirate version)thought it was rubbish and put xp genuine copy back on.saved myself the price of vista that i didn't like.running windows7 beta lovely bit of kit will definatly buy a genuine copy when released. Really nice of microsoft to let me have a free bash at it first means no need for a pirate copy trial.the only people that have always given me what it says on the box is serif.every one else has given their software loads of hype and it's turned out to be bull. thats why i always try pirate first it saves you getting ripped off.
just my view expressed

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.